Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Maybe Gibbs Finally found a way to beat the clock

bearrock

One major thing I noticed in last week's game was the increase (actually a huge increase) in substituting players in for different packages. Now, we all know that one of the major problem with the offense this season was that we couldn't disguise plays as effectively compared to Gibbs' first tenure because of the shortened clock. But last week, we saw the same plays being run out four wide, double TE, etc. Perhaps now, instead of disguising plays through shifts and motions, Gibbs is disguising plays through different packages (which would take less time at the line then shifts and motions). Any thoughts?

Actually, I think the key to that was Gibbs not having Breaux and Bugel standing all over him and each giving suggestions that confused or frustrated Gibbs. Did you also notice how many times Ramsey got under center and had more than 2 or 3 seconds to survey the defense. There were times where Ramsey got under center with 10 seconds... which I attribute to getting the play quickly and then getting to the LOS.

Breaux in the box was a great adjustment, Bugel on the other side of the bench and pumping up the O-line and RBs helped as well.

Originally posted by Cskin

Actually, I think the key to that was Gibbs not having Breaux and Bugel standing all over him and each giving suggestions that confused or frustrated Gibbs. Did you also notice how many times Ramsey got under center and had more than 2 or 3 seconds to survey the defense. There were times where Ramsey got under center with 10 seconds... which I attribute to getting the play quickly and then getting to the LOS.

Breaux in the box was a great adjustment, Bugel on the other side of the bench and pumping up the O-line and RBs helped as well.

My hope is that the coaches will recognize this, not rest on thier laurels now that we've scored > 20pts, and continue to push the envelope vs. the Eagles with a unique and innovative game plan apart from that used vs. the Giants.

:helmet:

Really, Breaux was in the box, not on the field? Interesting....

This would make sense. All the discussions among the coaches would waste time. Just making it a dictatorship headed by Gibbs would be more efficient.

Wow, didn't even notice that Breaux was not on the sidelines. I like the idea. He can see the field above and provide advice through the headset to Gibbs. Sounds like Bugel backed off a little bit and probably just provided suggestions to Gibbs and worried about getting the right players in.

I agree, let Gibbs make the call on what play is called. Ramsey needs enough time to survey the opposing D.

Breaux in the box was a great adjustment, Bugel on the other side of the bench and pumping up the O-line and RBs helped as well. [/b]

You know I didn't even think about until just now that Breaux wasn't on the field this past Sunday. When did they decide to put him up in the box?

Originally posted by jrfriedm

You know I didn't even think about until just now that Breaux wasn't on the field this past Sunday. When did they decide to put him up in the box?

On the Joe Gibbs show on 980am, Gibb's said Breaux was actually in the box in the Pitts game too.

Gibbs said he was looking for some chemistry and Breaux and the normal guy in the box are good friends.

Gibbs said those two guys had a lot of input in the play calling for the Giants game.

That's about all I caught.

The substitutions and personel groupings were on point.

Things flowed offensively very efficiently from the players coming in and out, to getting the play in on time to lining up.

According to Gibbs on his show last night on 980 he said Breaux was upstairs for the Pitt game also and he liked how things went, so they decided to do it this game as well.

DB is up there with Jack Burns, and apparently they have great chemistry, so it helped with the offensive play calling and adjustments

Good post Bearrock. More substitutions and formations, and more motions and shifts as well. I've felt many times this season that the missing 5 seconds from the playclock was giving Gibbs more problems than we realized. Maybe it's as easy as he's getting more comfortable and getting the plays in quicker, I don't know. Things were visibly much smoother though.

Archived