Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking ahead: How do we adjust to account for Westbrook's receiving....

NoCalMike

Westbrook has really seemed to regain his burst that he had been missing while he was hurt through a few of the weeks in the middle of the season. He presents matchup problems for every team. However, Marcus Washington is an exceptional LB who will probably be assigned to covering him often. Should be a good matchup. Philadelphia needs Westbrook to remain healthy because he is great in the open field and is McNabb's safety valve. While he doesn't add as much as Portis, for example, in the rushing department, he is arguabley the best receiving RB in the league (Tomlinson withstanding).

We need Lavar, Daniels and the rest of our line healthy.

We need to be able to generate pass-rush without having to blitz all the time. Philly absolutely loved our blitz package once they figured it out. It took them a while, but once they figured it out, they killed us on it.

I suspect that Williams will throw some new looks their way and try to f*ck with McNuggets head.

If we convince them a blitz is coming at certain times, yet back into coverage and not leave Westbook, Mitchell or TO open, I think we'll be great.

The key, is if we manage to get some of our guards back. I'd figure we would have either Hicks, or Mayberry back for Greenbay, but niether went. I bet Hicks is still out. They originally though right after the injury against Washington, he would be back for the Greenbay game, but about Wednesday, they were able to list him as doubtful, which they usually wait a little longer to do. Mayberry could be ready to go again for next Sunday.

Originally posted by KINGBRICE_28

of course......

I always believed westbrook is not a running back......he's a short wide receiver......He's not too much bigger than coles.....

Reminds me a lot of Larry Centers in his hey day, but faster, he has the same dependability coming out of the back field to make catches.. He's a good un.

Man, you guys gotta give some props. Westbrook IS emerging as a serious receiving threat. You can't just say "Our linebackers will stop him." They didn't last time.

Seriously, I would liken Westbrook more to Marshall Faulk as a receiving threat (not as a runner). The Eagles are starting to use him the same way. One thing that Westbrook does well is catch the ball over his shoulder. That causes matchup problems when they use him on go-routes or fades because most linebackers don't cover those routes well.

I think there are two ways to slow down Westbrook, and I think you have to key on him almost as much as Owens. First, the Skins defense must do their homework. They have to study the keys that might tip them off that the play is going to be a screen pass or a pass in the flat and try to get to Westbrook about the same time as the ball gets their. This is where having athletic linebackers come in handy. If they prepare well and stick to their assignments, they might stand decent chance of slowing those plays down.

Second, the Eagles are clearly establishing themselves as a pass-first team. They run just well enough to keep teams honest, but playing smash-mouth is not what they want to do. Any good defensive coach tries to force the opponent out of their tendencies. That means trying to force the Eagles to run the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gregg Williams play a ton of nickle and dime coverages, even on running downs. Everytime Westbrook splits out wide, cover him with a DB, not a LB. Hell, cover him with a DB even when he comes out of the backfield.

Forgo the jailbreak blitzes, for the most part. While I don't expect the Skins to forgo their blitzing tendencies altogether, I think they will be judicious. They'll show blitz just about every down so McNabb can't always read where the blitz is coming from and delay Westbrook in getting out into those pass patterns. But I think you'll see those potential blitzes drop back into the short zones to take away the quick passes. But they still have to blitz enough to make the Eagles respect the looks.

And the pass rush must be disciplined. While McNabb has improved a lot as a pocket passer, he still does his most damage and makes most of his big plays by improvising when things break down.

Make the Eagles run the ball. Make them pass methodically instead of ripping off big chunks of yardage. I think the Eagles can play this way and be effective, but it's not what they want to do. Get them out of what they want to do and keep the score close.

If the defense can do that, give them a BIG dose of Clinton Portis on offense. And convert some third downs, for heaven's sake!

We have our own film now on what the Eagles do against our stuff. It will be an entirely different story next Sunday night. Gibbs and Williams both will create ways to beat the Eagles, It will be up to Portis, Ramsey, Griffin, Taylor et. al. to execute.

Please don't tell me stopping Westbrook is the key to beating the Eagles. As always, you have to stop McNabb. :rolleyes:

One thing that makes me laugh is the fact that some of the folks up here think that the Redskins are the only team who watches gamefilm.

Let's use common sense for a second shall we?

1st - The Eagles are one of the best teams when it comes to preparation.....so what makes you think that we won't be waiting for your "ball control" tactics?

2nd - Pretty much the whole league now knows about Westbrook. He was showcased yesterday because of Grady Jackson and his ability to stop the run. Knowing this and the fact that you guys are saying....stop the pass, stop T.O. and stop Westbrook......have you taken into account anyone else on this team who can beat you either deep, over the middle, or by running the ball?

Smith?

Pinkston?

Lewis?

Levens?

3rd - Yes, you guys scored 30 + points against a injury ravaged Giants team with a Techmo Bowl quarterback.......this week you are playing a healthy team with a quarterback who just put up Techmo Bowl numbers (in the first half alone!) Let's be real.......

4th - Trotter Impact - Do you guys know that since Trotter was inserted into the middle of the defense that both statisically (83.3 yards rushing per game, 283 total yards, tied for 1st against scoring with Balitmore) and a really nasty almost ****y attitude. It reminds me of the Ole' Eagles of 2000-2001 when they were more of a defensive beast with an in your face mentality. Last time he said....."Stop Portis!" and they did! I believe he will be saying the same thing this week.

Prediction -

Eagles 28

Skins 13

And that's something considering we allowed on 6 points the last time we played.

His name is Marcus Washington .... You will remember that!!!

Washington has been a tremendous player for the Skins and is one of the better LBs in football.

That said, he can't cover Westbrook- it's a bad matchup for him.

I would have Washington shadow him out of the backfield unless Westbrook starts causing problems and I would put a CB on him when he splits out wide.

If that doesn't do it, I'd put Taylor on him like a shadow and take my chances that Springs/Smoot can hold up on T.O.

Here, let me over-simplify it. Your not going to stop anyone. So just hope slow them down enough. And the best defense is good offense. The redskins are going to have to hold the eagles to under 20 points if they want to win. Special teams should really favor the eagles as well though. If its a field position game, the eagles should win.

I don't think we should look to do anything too much differently than we did the last time we matched up with Philly.

We shut their offense down for 3 quarters before falling apart. I think we're a defense capable of doing that again. Hopefully the score reflects the closeness of the game more accurately this time.

We need to put a spy on McNabb and let someone worry about Westbrook too. I'm more concerned with our offense keeping up, because Philly is going to score on us, that's for sure.

Originally posted by McNabbOwnsFedEx

You can't stop Westbrook.

Look, he had a good game against a sh!tty GB defense. Just because he got lucky against us and caught a little screen pass for a TD doesn't mean that he's going to light us up.

We kept Philly in check last game for 3 quarters, and I really believe that if we score on that 1st and goal and tie the game, the 4th quarter is completely different.

Westbrook is good, but I wouldn't gizz over him quite yet...unless you're a Philly fan.

Originally posted by red zone

We have our own film now on what the Eagles do against our stuff. It will be an entirely different story next Sunday night. Gibbs and Williams both will create ways to beat the Eagles, It will be up to Portis, Ramsey, Griffin, Taylor et. al. to execute.

....while our coaches sit in lawn chairs sipping lemonade??

Originally posted by jrfriedm

You can't let him get out of the backfield. You need to keep him in the pocket. Force the Eagles to keep him in on blitz pick ups.

SCREEN!

Expect to hear that a lot if you blitz a ton. You have to be very effective picking your spots with the blitz. Guess wrong and you'll get gashed. Guess right and you could disrupt us. Don't blitz mindlessly though.

I will smack any philly fan I see at the game. Im tired of talking strategies and formations and players, we'll see come Sunday. 12th man at fed ex has never been the same. Last week was the arrival, this week will be the reality. If your in section 126, I would watch your mouth around there, its un-forgiving. SKINS WILL WIN.

Originally posted by dwills1

I will smack any philly fan I see at the game. Im tired of talking strategies and formations and players, we'll see come Sunday. 12th man at fed ex has never been the same. Last week was the arrival, this week will be the reality. If your in section 126, I would watch your mouth around there, its un-forgiving. SKINS WILL WIN.

Oooooo, another 5-7, 140 pound internet tough guy!

I'm quaking.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by GURU

Man, you guys gotta give some props. Westbrook IS emerging as a serious receiving threat. You can't just say "Our linebackers will stop him." They didn't last time.

Seriously, I would liken Westbrook more to Marshall Faulk as a receiving threat (not as a runner). The Eagles are starting to use him the same way. One thing that Westbrook does well is catch the ball over his shoulder. That causes matchup problems when they use him on go-routes or fades because most linebackers don't cover those routes well.

I think there are two ways to slow down Westbrook, and I think you have to key on him almost as much as Owens. First, the Skins defense must do their homework. They have to study the keys that might tip them off that the play is going to be a screen pass or a pass in the flat and try to get to Westbrook about the same time as the ball gets their. This is where having athletic linebackers come in handy. If they prepare well and stick to their assignments, they might stand decent chance of slowing those plays down.

Second, the Eagles are clearly establishing themselves as a pass-first team. They run just well enough to keep teams honest, but playing smash-mouth is not what they want to do. Any good defensive coach tries to force the opponent out of their tendencies. That means trying to force the Eagles to run the ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gregg Williams play a ton of nickle and dime coverages, even on running downs. Everytime Westbrook splits out wide, cover him with a DB, not a LB. Hell, cover him with a DB even when he comes out of the backfield.

Forgo the jailbreak blitzes, for the most part. While I don't expect the Skins to forgo their blitzing tendencies altogether, I think they will be judicious. They'll show blitz just about every down so McNabb can't always read where the blitz is coming from and delay Westbrook in getting out into those pass patterns. But I think you'll see those potential blitzes drop back into the short zones to take away the quick passes. But they still have to blitz enough to make the Eagles respect the looks.

And the pass rush must be disciplined. While McNabb has improved a lot as a pocket passer, he still does his most damage and makes most of his big plays by improvising when things break down.

Make the Eagles run the ball. Make them pass methodically instead of ripping off big chunks of yardage. I think the Eagles can play this way and be effective, but it's not what they want to do. Get them out of what they want to do and keep the score close.

If the defense can do that, give them a BIG dose of Clinton Portis on offense. And convert some third downs, for heaven's sake!

Playing nickel against base offences such as I-form is a good way to get gashed with the run, especially if you have a safety doubling Owens. It is also harder to generate pass rush with a nickel package and it’s fairly easy to get gashed if you blitz a linebacker. I wouldn’t assume the Eagles can't run against the Redskins, especially if they play lots of nickel and dime.

Think about it, its five offensive linemen, a tight end and a full back trying to block four defensive linemen, two linebackers and a safety. This means that the there is usually one broken tackle between the running back and the end zone. It would also leave Pinkston matched up in single coverage, and the last corner acting in run support on running downs. I could easily see Westbrook and Levens having a field day. Playing nickel means taking out your middle linebacker pierce and replacing him with your third cornerback (is that really maximizing your talent?).

Playing nickel and dime on running downs, against two receiver sets is not "playing honest" and it doesn’t usually maximize your chances of winning (except in Madden). It would actually be OVERREACTING to the match up problems Westbrook represents in the passing game if they were to play nickel when a third receiver isn't on the field. It would be more effective to put Taylor on Westbrook, and use the other safety to play center field to double the deep receiver. Greenbay has a horrible secondary, and it and made a lot of mental mistakes, playing regular defenses well generally works better than playing more exotic defenses in a reactionary manner.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Why do people assume everyone else on the internet is 5-7.

Art is like 6-4, 250. Tarhog is a former Marine(as are a few others here.)

Don't matter....you can talk tuff online....but in person its something else. We all know that! What I will say is that if someone wants to smack me.....go ahead and try it. I got a couple of lead buddies for ya! :D

Archived