Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking ahead: How do we adjust to account for Westbrook's receiving....

NoCalMike

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

Owens over any ONE DB? Absolutely. TO over any TANDUM? Well, we'll just see how that plays out a 2nd go 'round.

BTW, when is there ever a time that Owens DOESN'T have a head of steam? ;)

:eaglesuck

If the redskins decide to put Taylor and Smoot on TO all day, I'll be happy. If Owens can draw a double team, period I'm happy. In this case, your two best secondary players, if not defenders.

Originally posted by TenaciousB15

If the redskins decide to put Taylor and Smoot on TO all day, I'll be happy. If Owens can draw a double team, period I'm happy. In this case, your two best secondary players, if not defenders.

Actually, Smoot was the one with the treadmarks on his back from the immortal Todd Pinkston, IIRC. Springs and Taylor were the ones looking after T.O.

I still haven't seen anything remotely impressive about Fred Smoot. Springs played real well the last time though. Surprised me.

Originally posted by Donno5

Actually, Smoot was the one with the treadmarks on his back from the immortal Todd Pinkston, IIRC. Springs and Taylor were the ones looking after T.O.

I still haven't seen anything remotely impressive about Fred Smoot. Springs played real well the last time though. Surprised me.

Smoot has been pretty descent this season. He's made some big plays & together with Taylor or Springs, he is even better. No one ever said he was a shutdown corner (at least no one with half a blonde's brain), but he has been pretty good. He also has heart, which is something that this team needs to hold onto. He's very much a "Redskin". I hope it stays that way for a long time to come.

:)

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

Smoot has been pretty descent this season. He's made some big plays & together with Taylor or Springs, he is even better. No one ever said he was a shutdown corner (at least no one with half a blonde's brain), but he has been pretty good. He also has heart, which is something that this team needs to hold onto. He's very much a "Redskin". I hope it stays that way for a long time to come.

He's got an awful big mouth to go with the heart, too.

We would never have someone on our team like that.

wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

:laugh:

Originally posted by Westbrook36

31 rushes for 126 yards.

Shoot, if that was Portis's actual production, he'd have upped his ypc on the season and we'd all be talking about how he ran all over the Eagles weak run defense, right?

On RB production, that would be 23 carries, 96 yards. A little over 4.0 yds/carry. Wow. A real steamrolling.

I hope the Eagles don't gash the Redskins like that again. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by SonnyJ

On RB production, that would be 23 carries, 96 yards. A little over 4.0 yds/carry. Wow. A real steamrolling.

Actually, with how much we throw the ball, a duplication of that (minus McNabb's rushing) wouldn't be a good thing for you at all.

Their have been some strong arguements by all and i appreciate the knowledge expressed. I'm a die hard redskins fan, but this is going to be no easy task. T.O. didnt gash us last time and will fail again. The main worry is the combination of LJ Smith and westbrook. They are both very athletic and great counters for blitzing schemes. Our defence is good, but our offence is going to have to keep them off the field and out of rythm. 30-70 is gonna have to hold on to the ball, he doesnt deserve being 50-50 anymore. Finally, special teams could be the differennce and i am seriously worried about how bad they have been.

Originally posted by Donno5

Actually, with how much we throw the ball, a duplication of that (minus McNabb's rushing) wouldn't be a good thing for you at all.

Well, while that may qualify for outstanding running game production for the Eagles, most astute observers would hardly qualify this output as a gashing. I believe that is what one of your fellow cavemen characterized it as.

Would you?

True, special teams never seems to be discussed. And the eagles happen to being to doing pretty well for themselves at that. JR Reed has being looking better, after coming back from a hamstring injury. He really didn't play to much at all in the first redskins game.

Dexter Wynn is looking like the good punt returner he was in college. He's got the job when Reno Mahe got injured. Many thought he should have been given a chance all along. He was back on punt returns in the redskins game, but really didn't get the ball. The eagles kept two punt returners back, becuase of Tupas directional punting, and the ball always seemed to go towards the other guy. Those other guys were either Lito Sheppard or Brian Westbrook. Who were in becuase of injuries, although the announcer accused the coaches of putting them in there becuase they needed a 'spark'.

Originally posted by silllydan

Their have been some strong arguements by all and i appreciate the knowledge expressed. I'm a die hard redskins fan, but this is going to be no easy task. T.O. didnt gash us last time and will fail again. The main worry is the combination of LJ Smith and westbrook. They are both very athletic and great counters for blitzing schemes. Our defence is good, but our offence is going to have to keep them off the field and out of rythm. 30-70 is gonna have to hold on to the ball, he doesnt deserve being 50-50 anymore. Finally, special teams could be the differennce and i am seriously worried about how bad they have been.

Really nice even handed post...with that one gigantic stinking assumption in the middle. :D

That's a big if right there in reality. And y'all can't forget that keeping T.O. under wraps is nice, but if you leave Pinkston to run free on the other side and he does what he did to you last time, what have you really accomplished? Kind of similar to what you said about LJ and Westy, but a more direct correlation.

Well, while that may qualify for outstanding running game production for the Eagles, most astute observers would hardly qualify this output as a gashing. I believe that is what one of your fellow cavemen characterized it as.

Would you?

All I was referring to was your comment that production like that is not really a big deal to the Redskins. I wasn't the one who used the word "gash".

True, special teams never seems to be discussed. And the eagles happen to being to doing pretty well for themselves at that. JR Reed has being looking better, after coming back from a hamstring injury. He really didn't play to much at all in the first redskins game.

Dexter Wynn is looking like the good punt returner he was in college. He's got the job when Reno Mahe got injured. Many thought he should have been given a chance all along. He was back on punt returns in the redskins game, but really didn't get the ball. The eagles kept two punt returners back, becuase of Tupas directional punting, and the ball always seemed to go towards the other guy. Those other guys were either Lito Sheppard or Brian Westbrook. Who were in becuase of injuries, although the announcer accused the coaches of putting them in there becuase they needed a 'spark'.

And that doesn't take into account our terriffic coverage units.

Or David Akers.

Well, I didn't want to state the obvious, I think everyone knows about Akers. I was just mentioning some rookies.

Akers really did have a great game on Sunday though. Besides nailing all his fieldgoals, I noticed his kickoffs. It seemed on almost all of them (and they were numerous :) ) the ball got there so fast, the returner didn't even realise it. Sometimes it went over their head and they had to stretch out, and it cost them valuable time. Another, I think a guy just missed it all together.

That is still above THE GREAT Clinton Portis's averages per game and per carry this year. :doh: :laugh:

Well, I didn't want to state the obvious, I think everyone knows about Akers. I was just mentioning some rookies.

Akers really did have a great game on Sunday though. Besides nailing all his fieldgoals, I noticed his kickoffs. It seemed on almost all of them (and they were numerous :) ) the ball got there so fast, the returner didn't even realise it. Sometimes it went over their head and they had to stretch out, and it cost them valuable time. Another, I think a guy just missed it all together.

I really just wanted to point out the coverage units.

I added on Akers because I freakin' love the guy.

TO is very valuable. Extremely valuable. Just not as valuable as Westbrook is to this offense RIGHT NOW.

I went in order on who would hurt this team the worst if they got hurt for the remainder of the season. TO getting hurt would be hard to overcome. Westbrook would be damn near impossible. McNabb would be impossible.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

TO is very valuable. Extremely valuable. Just not as valuable as Westbrook is to this offense RIGHT NOW.

I went in order on who would hurt this team the worst if they got hurt for the remainder of the season. TO getting hurt would be hard to overcome. Westbrook would be damn near impossible. McNabb would be impossible.

I put Donovan 3rd on that list.

Give Blake T.O. and Westbrook to work with and I still think we can win a bunch of games.

Nothing against Donovan - obviously he'd be a HUGE loss - but I have more faith in our backups there then at WR and RB.

Archived