Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will The Defensive Coaching Staff Be Raided?

JoeSkins

If you take a look at our staff, with two former coordinators as position coaches, will any of them get jobs elsewhere in the offseason? I know that this is a losing team, but it's also a very good defensive team. Blache and Lindsay might gets looks in other places, since they've done excellent jobs with guys such as Griffin, Salave'a, Evans, Washington, Marshall and Pierce. Is anybody worried?

our past, recent one-year defensive wonders (first Rhodes and then Marvin Lewis) both got decimated the following offseason, and our D subsequently took a nose dive.

i think G. Williams will stick around because he's been pretty emphatic about be being committed to coaching here....i don't know if he'll be able to keep a lot of his assistants though.

we'll see....but i hope they all come back.

Originally posted by FLSKINSFAN

Wouldn't a team have to make Blache their head coach to get him away?

I think with the ambiguity of his title and position, there may be an exception made. Also, we could grant him permission to speak to other franchises.

Then again, the titles may be brilliant ploys to keep these guys.

Doubt it.

1st, many of these coaches signed on for a limited but full term (3 years) run. Definetly the O and most likely the D and special teams coaches will be here next year.

2nd- Snyder pays these guys (and gives out the titles ex. Williams is the Asst. head Coach/D while he'd be a D-coordinator anywhere else) money as postion coaches/coordinators that most coordinators/head coaches usually earn. Only Marvin Lewis left after 1 year and that's b/c he wanted a HC position from the get go and only coached our team b/c he was waiting for a team to make an offer.

3rd- Williams IS the heir apparant to Gibbs as the next HC, as for the other coaches, they will probably get bumped up as Gibbs retires again etc. over the next 2-4 years (my guess is that coach Gibbs will be here 2-3 more years tops- if he hasn't brought this franchise back by then I doubt he will.)

I think Williams is more at risk of leaving than any of the other coaches. The basic jist is that an assistant coach has a much easier time getting out of their current position to become a head coach than a coordinator. This was why we were unable to get Grimm last year. Moving from an assistant to a coordinator isn't considered enough of a career advancement to grease the wheels of getting out of an existing contract.

I can link the thread if needed, but booma posted something last week about Gibbs saying changes would be made from players to coaches to game plan.

The only major change I really see happening is bringing in a GM type guy and cutting/adding some players....

I know Blache took a step down (position wise) to be just a lowly dline coach after having decent success as a DC, but I have a feeling that with Gibbs at the helm he'll want to stick around.....

Lindsay as well.

Teams would be stupid not to make the call, but hopefully these guys want to give Gibbs another year or two to see this thing through.

I always wondered why Darrell Green is not a secondary coach somewhere.... I figure the best CB to ever play the game could find a job in the NFL:laugh:

Originally posted by illone

I always wondered why Darrell Green is not a secondary coach somewhere.... I figure the best CB to ever play the game could find a job in the NFL:laugh:

The simple and obvious answer is that is not what Darrell wants to do. There was great speculation here and many other places that he would join Joe's staff to coach CB's and I think the two men talked about it. In the end, however, Darrell wants to work with his charity more than coach football.

Originally posted by illone

I can link the thread if needed, but booma posted something last week about Gibbs saying changes would be made from players to coaches to game plan.

I think that was geared more towards the offensive side of the ball. Gregg Williams should pretty much have defensive autonomy with the amount of success he's had.

Originally posted by JoeSkins

I think that was geared more towards the offensive side of the ball. Gregg Williams should pretty much have defensive autonomy with the amount of success he's had.

I hope so. It's pretty much a Gibbs trademark to have more continuity than not.... I hope for Lavar's sake that you are right.

Originally posted by Die Hard

Did tutoring for 1 year under Marvin Lewis qualify George Edwards as a defensive coordinator?

No.

The success of this defense lies squarely on Williams. Williams is the prodigy who spent his life studying attacking defenses.

Lindsay and Blache were capable defensive coordinators long before they worked with Gregg Williams this year, though. Same as Foge Fazio was a capable defensive coordinator before he was teamed up with Ray Rhodes here.

Honestly.. yes, I'm sure offers will be made to at least some, if not several D coaches, but there are other factors that have to be in place here.

1) The Contract. There isn't a coaches union that has some set in stone sort of requirements for coaches contracts. While I'm sure many have similarities.. there's no rules to these contracts. They have three year contracts, and while there are clauses built in (for both sides I'm sure) to get out of it.. the question is how easy does the clause make it to get out especially after just one year? And don't give me Marvin Lewis as an example.. He openly admitted to having very short term plans and I'm sure his contract reflected that.

2) Money - How many teams out there are willing to match Snyder in terms of dollars? Do you honestly believe that he wouldn't counter offer anything that even peeks these guys intrests? Just because an offer is made doesn't mean anything. We have the biggest wallet in the NFL to hold on to these guys and NO cap deal to restrict us from using it.

3) Expirence. Some of these guys took demotions to come here, and if your telling me it wasn't because they were facing the boot, then it was obviously for reason beyond job titles and money. Whose to say they've met their own reasons for coming here. An offer would have to be accepted first and whose saying these guys are ready to go?

4) Respect. This is the biggest reason I think every one of these coaches on both sides of the ball followed Gibbs here. Imagine the respect of taking a bottom feeder (Which we all admit to having been for some time now) to a SuperBowl contender. Even in terms of money and contracts.. this is priceless. These guys guys haven't quite gotten there yet. The D is impressive, and everyone acknowledges it.. but many still don't respect it. And they won't till the team can produce a winning record. Hanging on for at least one more year, keeping the D strong in hopes Gibb really can turn this around, will make their negotiations with other teams that much better.. and they all know it.

Take it however you want, but on NFL Live today Mike Golic said not to be surprised if Blache gets a look from ND. Two degreees from there and an assistant under Ara Parseghian.

The "professor" John Clayton just said on sports center,that Blache is a candidate for the ND job.

Take it however you want, but on NFL Live today Mike Golic said not to be surprised if Blache gets a look from ND. Two degreees from there and an assistant under Ara Parseghian.

Originally posted by buckeyeG

The "professor" John Clayton just said on sports center,that Blache is a candidate for the ND job.

ND? Which team plays in North Dakota?

Why would any of our D-coaches want to go coach on a team that does not even exist?

this thread is silly.

:doh:

Archived