Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Detailed Offseason Plan

method man

What should Gardner's nick name be?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What should Gardner's nick name be?

• 50/50
    • 40/60
    • 30/70
    • 20/80

We do not need a top 5 pick and we do not have the salary cap needed for a top 5 pick. We should trade samuels only if he does not restructure his contract. I think we should trade our top 5 pick down to the 10-15 range and pick up a second rounder. Then we should again trade this pick down to the 20-25 range for another second rounder if it is possible. Then we should again trade this pick down for a second rounder, a day 2 pick (a 6th rounder), and a pick next year in day one. We should trade this second rounder down for two third round picks.

If we were able to pull this off we would have 2 second rounders, 2 third rounders, a 4th, 2 6ths, and 7th I think.

I would go with a center (either Ben Wilkerson or Donovan Raiola) and a defensive end (matt roth, this guy plays with so much fire and intensity <--- guys like this are succesful in the NFL).

In the third round, I would go with a blocking tight end (someone who is smart and can also catch the occasional pass perhaps alex smith from USC) and chris canty if he is available there. If not, then we should go take a sleeper wide receiver (they can be found here).

In the fourth, I would go get a young defensive tackle (such as Atiyyah Ellison from Missouri) who we can groom to take over salavea's spot in a few years.

In the sixth, I would take that QB from harvard if he is still available. He could challenge Hasselbeck. He supposedly has the best mobility of any QB and he is extremely smart. Here, I would also take a short yardage/goal-line back. This means that we take a full back who has experience in goal line situations. I like the Bernstein guy that was mentioned around here.

In the 7th, I would take a guard or other OL (who has slipped) to push dockery in camp. good OL can be found here. one of te chargers' OL was a 7th rounder last year.

OF COURSE IF WE LOOSE SMOOT IN FA, then I would trade down to the middle first and pick marlin jackson from michigan instead of gaining 2 more second rounders.

AND

IF SAMUELS DOES NOT RESTRUCTURE, we should trade him to the browns for their first rounder and go get the best tackle available, who will probably be Jammal Brown from Oklahoma.

Effect: We basically get rid of some of the people on the DLine (if Wynn does not restructure then cut him, if we dont cut wynn, take a look at cutting injury prone daniels, we cut noble outright). We should have Demetric Evans move over to defensive tackle and have the young guy we are going to draft fight with haley and evans for two spots. On the DE, we take a look at getting rid of one of the starters. If we do, we could have Canty, Ron Warner, and Roth compete for the starting position. Canty and Roth are good run protectors as well as good pass rusers.

On the OLine, we get a guard to push dockery. We get a backup center in teh draft who will become a starter in a couple years. (We should cut Raymer, Brown, and Vaughn Parker). We sign a veteran with a mean streak at center (ie Jason Ball)

So we will have: Samuels/Brown, Thomas, Dockery, Ball, Jansen, Wilkerson/Raiola, Molinaro, Friedman (backup G), and Wilson.

I think besides getting a taskmaster smart offensive coordinator as our first priority, our first priority in player personnel in the offseason should be signing a differencemaking tight end who does not drop passes. so a pass catcher. we can sign gates, becht, or franks.

So we will have: gates/becht/franks, Alex Smith, and Robert Royal

At QB we could have a potential steal who could move past brunell on the depth chart.

We would also get a goalline back who can push it across the goalline and get us TDs instead of FGs. Goalline backs are undervalued. we should let rock go as an RFA or trade him for a day 2 pick if he has not returned to goalline form.

So, besides improving our personnel cost-effectively, we will also clear cap by cutting expensive players who dont perform or cost too much, such as Noble, Raymer, and Wynn/Daniels. Our two major offseason acquisitions would be relatively inexpensive (bcause of position): ball and franks (who i believe will be best for the money).

Why in the world would you want to cut Nobles. He was injured last year, is making a great comeback....and he won't even be 100 percent until next summer. So you want to cut him just as he is getting healthy and can become a force. Yea...that makes sense.

The biggest problem the Redskins would have with this outline of plan is this: ITS ALL ABOUT THE FUTURE.

Nobody is willing to wait a few years down the road to see if yet another rebuilding program will end up working. The Skins have an excellent defense and are only 1 and possibly 2 players away from being dominant. We need a defensive end for sure and we can get that in the draft with our top 10 pick.

We need a pass rushing defensive tackle...to help the end and Griffin put some heat on the QB. If we did nothing else and kept everyone else....the improvement on the defense and Patrick Ramsey's improvement would be enough to make us contenders.

You scenario brings in a BUNCH of fresh young players but why disrupt what we have going.

While I agree that we should trade down to acquire more picks, and I like some of your suggested draft selections I have a few observations...

Originally posted by method man

IF SAMUELS DOES NOT RESTRUCTURE, we should trade him to the browns for their first rounder and go get the best tackle available, who will probably be Jammal Brown from Oklahoma.

In this scenario Cleveland would be sacrificing their high (probably top 10) first round draft pick in addition to acquiring Samuels' hefty contract. Also, teams will know that we will most likely cut Samuels if he does not agree to a paycut therefore in trade scenarios potential suitors would probably offer nothing higher than a second rounder for Samuels. I think the Browns would be much better served keeping their draft pick and selecting the best player available. However, crazier things have happened.

I think besides getting a taskmaster smart offensive coordinator as our first priority

This move would suggest that Gibbs as team president would usurp his own playing calling authority, probably not likely to happen. Gibbs has always been a mastermind when it comes to offense, let's give him a little more time before we strip him of this role.

We would also get a goalline back who can push it across the goalline and get us TDs instead of FGs. Goalline backs are undervalued. we should let rock go as an RFA or trade him for a day 2 pick if he has not returned to goalline form.

I agree with you 100%. I love Portis, but we need a bruiser who can get us the tough yards.

I like Cooley but Cooley is not our starting tight end, he is our h-back. He is our most reliable receiver. Because our wide receivers suck, we have to have at least two reliable targets in cooley and a tight end.

I think we should cut Noble because he is aging, he costs a lot, and he sucks. It seems whenever he is in there, running backs have an easy time.

Oh yea and we cannot have a top 10 pick in the draft because we cannot afford it.

This is about bringing in fresh, young players on the DLine, which, without Cornelius Griffin, totally sucks. This is our worst unit on defense. I am not proposing changing the linebackers or the secondary, which are the reasons our defense is rated so high.

Bram said Gibbs said that he could look into hiring new assistants. I believe you are right that he may not hire an offensive coordinator but I think Gibbs should go to being more of the CEO type coach. He should fire Breaux (or possibly demote him) and Byner, as their units are sucking. Byner is the fool that made our goalline back into trash. I would love to get someone like Al Saunders from teh Chiefs if Vermeil resigns.

In regard to Cleveland, this is probably not applicable anymore as Butch Davis is gone. However, I think there has to be a team somewhere that will offer up a first rounder for Samuels.

I do not think Mike Williams will be that great in the NFL. He is too slow to beat coverage. The only chance he has to make catches in the NFL will be his leaping skill. He will not be able to get open on his own.

I like your plan but I would do it like this...

W/our 1st rounder I would draft Mike Williams, he will be there when we pick...

I would restructure Samuels deal and KEEP him b/c you don't want a rookie protecting Ramsey's blind side + most of his problems are a result of having an inexpirienced LG next to him...

I would trade Gardner for a 2nd rounder...w/this pick I would go after DE Justin Tuck of ND....

w/remaining picks I would draft in this order: a TE and then a OG....

In FA I would address two needs C and a big RB....For the RB I would pick up Mike Alstott from TB b/c he will be inexpensive as he will be cut by TB in off-season, as for C I'm not sure who is out there but sure their is an upgrade for Cory Raymer...

Two words: Roy Williams.

Roy's been out of the football scene for more than a season come draft day, and because of his eligibility, should be a late first rounder in 2005. If we have a top 10 pick in the 1st round, we should trade it for a mid 12 to 15th pick and be able to get a late second rounder as compensation as well. As we all know, a more than capable OL will be around for more than 2 rounds of the draft If we could get Williams and a 2nd rounder for a 3 to 7 1st'er. I would suggest an OU senior at ANY of the senior positions being vacated this year. Forget about scouted OL's... OU has been the best and most consistantly bowl tested O line, succesful statistically, healthiest, and most well coached and challenged group by far in 1A. Not only have the OL seniors been dominant, but they've been proficient in every position that they've played for their entire career in college football. From what I understand, most of the OL for OU has been moved around at almost every position, so at the very least, exceptionally versatile. If I know Gibbs as a coach, he is most likely to draft experienced and versatile players than he is to go with positional expertise.

I think we need serious WR, OL, and role playing guys the most here. If we clear up the Brunell space in terms of cap room, and use the draft for a WR and decent O lineman, we should be able to pick up alot of tough 1A's to fill up our ST's needs in the 4th to 6th rounds.

I've heard the QB argument, but if we draft or pick up any high profile QB's in the offseason, we'll be at a bigger disadvantage than we were this year. If Ramsey isn't comfortable and well acclimated with Gibb's system by the 1st two or three games next year, Hasselbeck WILL BE!! Hasselbeck, in my opinion, is the prototype Gibbs QB. He is so similar to Rypien and Shroeder in terms of talent, heart, desire and capabilty it isn't even funny!! Picking up a new QB, and making a statement to the existing QB's that someone else will be more intelligent and pick up Gibbs' offense before them, would be totally unlike Gibbs and disrespectful to Ramsey and Hasselbeck. Joe would never do that, and he understands the importance of respect in this league.

I expect for Gibbs to solidify his receiving corp, and update his offensive schemes, but Brunell is the first and last "big name QB" he will ever trust as he did.

Lates.

we can sign gates, becht, or franks.

Great job with the post, by the way. Only problem I have is this statement. I assume you mean Antonio Gates ... you must be smoking crack if you think the Chargers are gonna let this guy go after the year he's had. Believe me, if there are cap problems there, they'll drop Brees first.

guys.... why would you draft Mike Williams w/ top 10 pick, a guy who has been out of football for almost a year and does not have great burst/speed to get separation... after all the problem we have right now w/ our receivers are that they can't get open - so I say no to Mike Williams...

the smart thing to do is trade down from top 10 to say about 23rd and pick up a 2nd.... w/ 23rd we can get OG, and the 2nd a pass rushing end.

if we can trade Samuels for 2nd, and Gardner for 4th... then we can pick up another piece on the O-line, a center, and w/ the 4th we can get a speedy WR or vice-versa....

Originally posted by LA56Dawg

guys.... why would you draft Mike Williams w/ top 10 pick, a guy who has been out of football for almost a year and does not have great burst/speed to get separation... after all the problem we have right now w/ our receivers are that they can't get open - so I say no to Mike Williams...

the smart thing to do is trade down from top 10 to say about 23rd and pick up a 2nd.... w/ 23rd we can get OG, and the 2nd a pass rushing end.

if we can trade Samuels for 2nd, and Gardner for 4th... then we can pick up another piece on the O-line, a center, and w/ the 4th we can get a speedy WR or vice-versa....

I'd almost flip those around and get a DE with the first pick and an OG/center with the second, but that's just me.

1. Resign Smoot

2. Leave the defense alone after that

3. Draft Mike Williams

thats all the detail i need

i'm not going to even to kid myself into knowing what i'd like to see happen to Samuels, io know he can be a premier tackle, but 9mil is alot for his performance so far. Not that he sucks , just .......its alot of money we could use.

one thing I gotta say, if we do have a top 5 pick again, we can get more than a 2nd rounder I feel. Look at how the Chargers ripped off the Giants. Also, Dallas got a pretty sweet deal out of this years draft. I think with a top 5 pick, we could easily trade first round draft choices, get another 2nd and/or 3rd rounder, and get some teams either other 1st round draft choice (Chargers, Cowboys), or get some teams next year first round pick.

That leaves us with a few scenarios. Either a later first, a first next year, and a 2nd. Or it gives us a teams both 1st rounders, or it lets us have a later first, a 2nd and a 3rd. Some combination of those basically.

I still say with that we still draft DE, the crop is huge this year. We also find a center in the 2nd round, or get Jason Ball from the Chargers prolly in FA. Then we draft guard. If we had 2 first round picks, Im sure we trade down for more 2nd/3rd rounders.

Originally posted by LA56Dawg

Please make sure you get your facts right. Yes Mike Williams ran a 4.6, does that mean he can't get seperation? Hell no! In truth he was known for always being open when he played at USC. He also catches nearly anything within five feet of him. He's known as having some of the best hands in recent college football history.

Also, yes he has been out of football for a year. Does that mean he can't play anymore? No. Just FYI, he has practiced all year with the team at USC, he just could not suit up and play. I would also reference Antonio Gates as evidence that recent experience is not a requirement of good production. Gates NEVER played college football. He was a basketball player in college. The main things are physical talent, smarts, and coachability. If the guy has the tools mentally and physically, and is willing to listen to his coaches and teamates, he will be productive no matter if he played last year or last decade.

Damn! Didn't realise I just made benchwarmer. Cool and all, but I prefer my old avatar.

Oh, and if you couldn't tell, I'm for drafting Willams in round 1.

Other than that I would restructure Samuels if possible. If not, trade him for highest value. Gardner has to go imho. Trade him for highest value. Fill Center through FA, or a second round pick if we get one. Look for Dline depth, specifically good pass rushing DE in round 3 and lower. All we really need on the D-line is solid depth at DE. We also need to find a solid blocking TE yet, most likely in FA.

For those who say we don't have cap room to sign a #1 pick. Are you just hoping that is the case so you can further justify trading down umpteen thousand times? We are OK cap-wise. As long as we can get Samuels to restructure for a reasonable sum, we will have plenty of room. Don't forget to factor in cap increases, which are rumoured to be pretty high this year as opposed to recent years.

I would consider trading down a few spots in round #1 if the situation presents itself where we could trade down, pick up an extra pick or two, and still have a good shot at getting Williams. Say if he runs a slow 40 time again and is predicted as a lower to middle round 1 guy, and we are confident the teams between the two picks are looking for other players. This is a risk though, so I would want adequate compensation for taking that risk.

Originally posted by bird_1972

Great job with the post, by the way. Only problem I have is this statement. I assume you mean Antonio Gates ... you must be smoking crack if you think the Chargers are gonna let this guy go after the year he's had. Believe me, if there are cap problems there, they'll drop Brees first.

I guess you are right. THe guy I want the most is franks because he would fit right into gibbs's scheme. no way we can get gates anyway bcause the chargers have 21 mil in salary cap

Franks could be a viable target for us to sign, but forget Gates. SD isnt gonna let him get away.

Becht hasnt done anything in the NYJ offense, I would pass.

I like the idea of Franks, but we need to address these positions in this order: (with possible replacements)

O-line(especially if Jansen isnt healthy):

Wide Reciever(Bye Rod):

Defensive End:

CornerBack(if we dont resign Smoot):

At oline, I would go after a Vet. LT to replace Samuels, who I would deal. Brad Hopkins would be good.

I would worry about Center in the draft. Ben Wilkerson would be a good pick.

Wide reciever: we need another threat opposite Coles and maybe a replacement for Coles if his surgery causes him to miss time. Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams might be worth a look besides Vets available.

We do not need a top 5 pick and we do not have the salary cap needed for a top 5 pick. We should trade samuels only if he does not restructure his contract. I think we should trade our top 5 pick down to the 10-15 range and pick up a second rounder. Then we should again trade this pick down to the 20-25 range for another second rounder if it is possible. Then we should again trade this pick down for a second rounder, a day 2 pick (a 6th rounder), and a pick next year in day one. We should trade this second rounder down for two third round picks.

If we were able to pull this off we would have 2 second rounders, 2 third rounders, a 4th, 2 6ths, and 7th I think.

I would go with a center (either Ben Wilkerson or Donovan Raiola) and a defensive end (matt roth, this guy plays with so much fire and intensity <--- guys like this are succesful in the NFL).

In the third round, I would go with a blocking tight end (someone who is smart and can also catch the occasional pass perhaps alex smith from USC) and chris canty if he is available there. If not, then we should go take a sleeper wide receiver (they can be found here).

In the fourth, I would go get a young defensive tackle (such as Atiyyah Ellison from Missouri) who we can groom to take over salavea's spot in a few years.

In the sixth, I would take that QB from harvard if he is still available. He could challenge Hasselbeck. He supposedly has the best mobility of any QB and he is extremely smart. Here, I would also take a short yardage/goal-line back. This means that we take a full back who has experience in goal line situations. I like the Bernstein guy that was mentioned around here.

In the 7th, I would take a guard or other OL (who has slipped) to push dockery in camp. good OL can be found here. one of te chargers' OL was a 7th rounder last year.

OF COURSE IF WE LOOSE SMOOT IN FA, then I would trade down to the middle first and pick marlin jackson from michigan instead of gaining 2 more second rounders.

AND

Effect: We basically get rid of some of the people on the DLine (if Wynn does not restructure then cut him, if we dont cut wynn, take a look at cutting injury prone daniels, we cut noble outright). We should have Demetric Evans move over to defensive tackle and have the young guy we are going to draft fight with haley and evans for two spots. On the DE, we take a look at getting rid of one of the starters. If we do, we could have Canty, Ron Warner, and Roth compete for the starting position. Canty and Roth are good run protectors as well as good pass rusers.

On the OLine, we get a guard to push dockery. We get a backup center in teh draft who will become a starter in a couple years. (We should cut Raymer, Brown, and Vaughn Parker). We sign a veteran with a mean streak at center (ie Jason Ball)

So we will have: Samuels/Brown, Thomas, Dockery, Ball, Jansen, Wilkerson/Raiola, Molinaro, Friedman (backup G), and Wilson.

I think besides getting a taskmaster smart offensive coordinator as our first priority, our first priority in player personnel in the offseason should be signing a differencemaking tight end who does not drop passes. so a pass catcher. we can sign gates, becht, or franks.

At QB we could have a potential steal who could move past brunell on the depth chart.

So, besides improving our personnel cost-effectively, we will also clear cap by cutting expensive players who dont perform or cost too much, such as Noble, Raymer, and Wynn/Daniels. Our two major offseason acquisitions would be relatively inexpensive (bcause of position): ball and franks (who i believe will be best for the money).

Do you really think SD is going to let gates go?

Resign Smoot! #1 priority

Best player on the board between Ol/Dl and wr. I would draft the best player on the board. If my you can slide down do it and draft the best player in one of these 3 positions. I think Mike Williams is overated and has been out of football a year. Not a good idea. I also think Samuels goes if he doesn't restructure. I would trade whatever I could get for him.

Archived