Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Cap "Mess"

bulldog

I was reading Art's post on the Redskins pursuit of Trotter on another thread when I noticed a line from a 'league source' that the Redskins cap situation is a 'mess' and adding Trotter would only complicate it.

While I agree that signing Trotter to a long-term deal could mean a compromise or two at other positions next season or in free agency, I don't see where the cap situation does anything but IMPROVE from here on out.

Passing the gallstone of the Deion Sanders, Mark Carrier and Jeff George dollars in 2002 in terms of dead money, I can't see the same level of exposure in 2003.

Likely dead cap space will be carried for the retirement/release of Bruce Smith and Marco Coleman. Perhaps Sam Shade too will become a victim this year after June 1, with his prorated money counting in 2003.

But that adds up to a little more than HALF the 2002 total.

So, unless the Skins end up with a lot of cuts after June 1 from the current roster of players with sizeable bonus dollars I can't see how our cap can be considered a 'mess'.

And if Coleman restructures his deal and plays in both 2002 and 2003 that burden of dead space next season could dwindle even further. :)

Thats what I thought too Bulldog. I dont see any "dead money" yet for 2003. If Donovan Greer is cut after June 1st, we might have a drop, as he had a small 400k SB. But it seems to me that if Darrell Green retires next year and Coleman and Smith play this year and are cut AFTER JUNE 1st in 2003, that would even spread their cap hits over the 2003 and 2004 seasons. Correct me if Im wrong PC.

That statement was total bunk. We don't have any huge contracts right now on the roster that will kill us down the road. Arrington and Samuels are not failed draft picks, so their signing bonus dollars won't really hurt us. Obviously our biggest issue will be spending to keep all the players we want happy. But, or cap situation is largely worked out. Marty may or may not have made a mistake leaving $27 million on the table instead of using it to fill out the roster as Snyder had allowed, but, by playing with a $53 million roster instead of an $80 million roster, Marty largely cleared the decks for us.

Bailey and Smot are arguably the best corners in the league so you can say they will want Woodson/ Slime Time money when its time to resign.

Jansen is the guy we should extend before next season starts so if he has a breakout year we already have him locked up but if he really sucks (highly unlikely) we can trade or release him before the contract becomes efective.

Jansen is an immedite priority, and we'll wrap him up for life so his salary the following year will be less than his current salary. I'm not worried about him. He's happy to play with Samuels and S.Davis.

We are already prepared to deal with B.Smith, M.Coleman, and D.Green's retirement. The bonus of Green and Coleman was already small to being with ... this wont' be much of a problem.

The only place where the Skins can get in a pinch is if they buy a real QB ... and if how the address the S.Davis matter and his $11Mil Salary of 2003. Davis is out biggest problem.

Frankly, I"m happy to see that all of Wynn's salaries were reasonable. His salary never goes beyond $4 Million, rather then these ego contracts with a $12 Million pay day in two years ... essentially forcing a cut.

Originally posted by NavyDave

Bailey and Smot are arguably the best corners in the league so you can say they will want Woodson/ Slime Time money when its time to resign.

I agree ND. If both continue on their current pace I can see a situation down the road where both will want big $$$ and we could probably afford to keep one.

And, say what you like about Gator castoffs, but as long as they're cheap castoffs. . . .

If Steve can make them work, then he's a friggin genius. If not, then next year we're a free-agent QB away. (And draft another one to groom).

(Although, if we only have enough money for Trotter or Sam Adams, but not both. . . )

Smoot only costs us 500k a year for the next 3 years, if I remember correctly. That is ridiculously cheap. If he performs like I expect him to this season, I'd like to see us renegotiate, extending his contract a couple of years, and smoothing the salary bump by raising his salaries for the last 2 years of his original contract. I think that would make everyone happy, and it would be the smart thing to do.

The key to the next decade for the Skins is our ability to keep our successful high draft picks on the team, and not get absolutely nailed on their contracts.

Archived