Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2004 Generosity Index (Red vs Blue)

Stu

The following data on giving is provided by the Catalogue of Philanthropy which is an organization that promotes charity. It provides a ranking of the most charitable states based upon what is given vs. what is earned (measures sacrifice).

http://www.catalogueforphilanthropy.org/cfp/db/generosity.php?year=2004&orderby=giving_rank

Just for conversation purposes, I added the column of which candidate the state supported in the election. So while all of us "red state" types may be dumb, brainwashed, etc it does seem as though we are generous with what we have.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

Embarrassing for the blue states if it's a fair measure.

I agree there are always other factors. But I do find it interesting that the top "having" states were for Senator Kerry. Goes against the conventional wisdom a bit.

Did anyone even bother looking at the Excel spreadsheet available on the website? Mississippi, number 1 in this so called Generosity Index had one of the lowest Percentage of tax returns with ICOs (Itemized Charitable Contributions). This means a small number of (possibly rich?) people contributed more.

Look at it the other way; 6 out of the top 7 states with the highest Percentage of tax returns with ICOs voted for Kerry. Does that mean states that voted blue are better? No, of course not.

Isn't anyone else sick and tired of this Red vs Blue crap? Because that's what is.

Originally posted by Canyonero!

Did anyone even bother looking at the Excel spreadsheet available on the website? Mississippi, number 1 in this so called Generosity Index had one of the lowest Percentage of tax returns with ICOs (Itemized Charitable Contributions). This means a small number of (possibly rich?) people contributed more.

Look at it the other way; 6 out of the top 7 states with the highest Percentage of tax returns with ICOs voted for Kerry. Does that mean states that voted blue are better? No, of course not.

Isn't anyone else sick and tired of this Red vs Blue crap? Because that's what is.

"Yada,yada chew. Breakdown, chew. Blah,blah, spit. ICO snort, blibur,blabber, contribution. Look at it spit, chewey chomp.

Sick and yada Reda & Blue crap snort." No, I am not tired of Red & Blue comparisons. It gives us a chance to see how hypocrytical liberals are. Are you? Chew

Originally posted by portisizzle

"Yada,yada chew. Breakdown, chew. Blah,blah, spit. ICO snort, blibur,blabber, contribution. Look at it spit, chewey chomp.

Sick and yada Reda & Blue crap snort." No, I am not tired of Red & Blue comparisons. It gives us a chance to see how hypocrytical liberals are. Are you? Chew

Hypocritical in what way? I'm a liberal; I live in a state that voted for John Kerry. I'm not sitting around talking about the "dumb south" or anything like that. Am I upset the guy I voted for lost? Of course. I'm not going to blame a group that voted for someone they felt would do a better job. Don't talk about hypocrites if you're going to define things so narrowly.

People are going to look at whatever they want and make the numbers mean whatever they want. What's the point of this?

Hypocritical in what way? I'm a liberal; I live in a state that voted for John Kerry. I'm not sitting around talking about the "dumb south" or anything like that. Am I upset the guy I voted for lost? Of course. I'm not going to blame a group that voted for someone they felt would do a better job. Don't talk about hypocrites if you're going to define things so narrowly.

People are going to look at whatever they want and make the numbers mean whatever they want. What's the point of this?

While you may not spout the "dumb south" rhetoric there are plenty that do. That is the point and it starts to look different when the shoe is on the other foot. Hooper seems to see the point in that things like this go both ways. So as "red state" kind of guy I am stupid but as a "blue state" guy you are a cold hearted uncompassionate ****. Or maybe such generalizations are are a little too broadbrushed.

Hypocrytical because you chose to diminish the factual information as conservative rhetoric. In light of the information provided you chose to say that the information as presented could mean almost anything.

Well, you are wrong. And your original point was worded in such a pathetic, whining manner that it required an equally pathetic response. Next time you choose to attack facts, why not try something innovative from a liberal, use facts (and not spin) to defend your position.

You will be better informed, plus you might just see that the facts are irrefutable. In which case you might just end up supporting a conservative position.

Oh, my......Mr. Hypocrit.

"It is facts."

Hmm. Maybe all those studies saying the blue states were the more educated states were on to something after all.

Give me a break -- these studies are all nonsense. This whole red-state/blue-state stuff is nonsense. Dubya won, okay? I didn't vote for the guy but I hope he does a great job. I'm an American -- not a "blue-stater." It's time to move forward -- not to whine about losing or kick the loser while he's down.

Based on what he said, I have to agree Hooper that the IQ map presented earlier on this board is based on factual studies. Brilliant researchers must have gotten together and determined the average IQ of everyone living in each state. The data has to be true because it was published in more than one publication and published on the Web. So, if the data is accurate than Bush’s voting base just isn’t very smart.

So, if the IQ map is accurate, than portisizzle you must not have a high IQ because you voted for Bush.

Just following the facts of course. :)

Originally posted by JimboDaMan

Not to mention, this entire thread is based on a misunderstanding of said "facts". Because while the red states might dominate the charts in charity, they're doing it with the blue states' tax money.

That's a "fact" also. You can look that one up.

Please explain said fact.

Originally posted by Stu

Please explain said fact.

Sigh. You really could look it up.

Federal Money Rec'd Per $1 in Taxes Paid (2003 Data)

Top 10 Feeders:

1. New Mexico $1.99

2. Alaska $1.89

3. Mississippi $1.83

4. West Virginia $1.82

5. North Dakota $1.75

6. Alabama $1.69

7. Montana $1.60

8. Virginia $1.58

9. Hawaii $1.58

10. Kentucky $1.52

Top 10 Payers:

1. New Jersey $0.57

2. New Hampshire $0.64

3. Connecticut $0.65

4. Minnesota $0.70

5. Nevada $0.70

6. Illinois $0.73

7. Massachusetts $0.78

8. California $0.78

9. New York $0.80

10. Colorado $0.80

In other words, for every $1 in federal taxes paid, New Mexico got back $1.99 while New Jersey got back only $0.57

I detect a trend.

Originally posted by JimboDaMan

Sigh. You really could look it up.

You brought it to the table not me.

How people earn their income doesn't mitigate their proclivity to donate it. But as I have said, the point of posting this was really to demonstrate the silliness of the red vs blue comparison in which "statistics" both real and imagined can be used to prove almost anything.

Archived