Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Michael Moore's Pre-Election TV Special Nixed...........

TC4

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041015/D85O5LDO0.html

Moore's Pre-Election TV Special Nixed

Oct 15, 7:18 PM (ET)

By DAVID BAUDER

NEW YORK (AP) - The cable pay-per-view company iN DEMAND has backed away from a plan to show a three-hour election eve special with filmmaker Michael Moore that included the first television showing of his documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11."

The company said Friday it would not air "The Michael Moore Pre-Election Special" due to "legitimate business and legal concerns." A spokesman would not elaborate.

Moore has just released his movie on DVD and was seeking a TV outlet for the film, which sharply criticizes President Bush, as close to the election as possible.

Earlier this week, trade publications said Moore was close to a deal with iN DEMAND for the special, which would also include interviews with politically-active celebrities and admonitions to vote. The Nov. 1 special was to be available for $9.95.

Moore was not immediately available for comment, a spokeswoman said.

The New York-based iN DEMAND, owned by the Time Warner, Cox and Comcast cable companies, makes pay-per-view programming available in 28 million homes, or about one-quarter of the nation's homes with television.

In a statement, iNDEMAND said "we regret that our decision has led Michael Moore to consider legal action against us," which it said would be "entirely baseless and groundless." The company did not say what legal action Moore was considering.

This spring, Moore did battle with the Walt Disney Co., which refused to release "Fahrenheit 9/11" through its Miramax Films because it was too politically partisan for the company's taste.

After that fight became public, Moore found other distributors. The movie, which attacks Bush's handling of the war on terrorists and war in Iraq and the Bush family's ties to Saudi royalty, earned more than $100 million at the box office.

In an interview with a Maine television station that aired this week, former President George H.W. Bush called Moore a "slimeball" and an expletive.

Originally posted by Gichin13

I wonder how long it is before George Soros pays for, or some liberal station owner, attempts to air this a la Sinclair.

Sinclair is not going to play blatent propaganda. These PPV networks were dangerously bordering on pushing an out and out lie on the public.

See, in Hollywood, this is called Fiction. People go the the theater to see fiction. Pushing fiction a day before the election and making it seem as if it is a real documentary weas going to be a problem.

Thus the retraction.

BTW, I am on record on this site as saying I would cancel my Directv service if they put this PPV up. I stand by that statement.

BTW, I am on record on this site as saying I would cancel my Directv service if they put this PPV up. I stand by that statement.

Seems like they got the message. Isn't a free market great. It allows you to vote not only on election day, but year around with your wallet. :)

Originally posted by KevinthePRF

lol, I like the last line of that article, at least Bush isn't taking anything too personal. I guess in the heat of these debates is bad timing in asking his opinion of Michael Moore.

You do realize that was Bush Sr. don't you?

While I have mixed feelings about the Saudi government, take a good look at Bin Laden. Thats the alternative belief system. So bashing support of the royal family might be a little short-sighted.

Personally, I'd have no problem with F-911 being available on PPV. Network TV before the election? I'd have a problem with. But not PPV. Those that gravitate toward conspiracies or hate Bush will watch it and believe. Those that don't won't. I don't think it would make a bit of difference in how anyone would vote.

Originally posted by Tarhog

Personally, I'd have no problem with F-911 being available on PPV. Network TV before the election? I'd have a problem with. But not PPV. Those that gravitate toward conspiracies or hate Bush will watch it and believe. Those that don't won't. I don't think it would make a bit of difference in how anyone would vote.

I have to agree with you there Tarhog

Moore seems to still live under this illusion that he is going to change the minds of many Bush supporters the night before the election to get them to swing their votes to Kerry, when most likely he will just be preaching to the choir

Originally posted by dks1240

"...which would also include interviews with politically-active celebrities..."

oh ben affleck, when will he realize that he is hindering kerry, not helping him?

Sadly, Affleck is one of the more intelligent sound celebs I've heard discuss politics. I'm not sure whether that speaks more to his intelligence or to the stupidity of most of the hollywood left wingers.

The only people that would see it were people that pay to see it. It's not even a pay channel, it's a channel were you pay by the film. It's not like they're showing it on HBO or something. It would in no way be forced on people. It's not different than AMC or Regal showing the picture, are people boycotting them? I think people are stupid to be that frightened by the possibility that this would swing "undecided" voters.

BTW - where is the liberal media? Are you people honestly saying that Rather makes up for the GOP control that is being demonstrated right now just before the election.

People have been saying for years that while certain news shows may slant the people upstairs calling the shots are not liberal at all. Yet all the liberal media myth preacher consistently fail to acknowledge this reality. This last week has twice exposed the liberal media myth for what it is. That being a conjured up poltical tool to avoid having to deal with the issues the media is right to bring up.

Archived