Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs' QB decision reverses lack of continuity

freakofthesouth

When I first heard the news yesterday from Gibbs how Brunell would be the starter w/o question, a few thoughts went through my mind, w/ one standing out in particular...

WTF?

Why? My God, this man has played terribly. Just awfully.

I then began to ponder Gibbs' conviction and near stubbornness on this issue. How could he possibly be thinking this?

And then it hit me, like a brick. Well, sorta.

Gibbs has taken the first step in restoring something this team has not has for years: Continuity.

As fans, we have been conditioned for the past decade or so to completely change a situation if it's not working. Dan Snyder, and his accompanying Snyderia (a terrible condition!) has brainwashed us all into thinking that a quick, easy solution is just within reach. IMO, it is this type of thinking that has made this team as terrible as it has become.

The statement and accompanying gesture that Gibbs made yesterday at that press conference showed quite a bit to his players- that he beleives in them; that they are the answer; that they are capable. He basically empowered them, and endorsed them, by completely supporting his offensive leader in his darkest hour.

This type of charachter can define a franchise.

Now, don't get me wrong...I totally want Pat Ramsey in. But I also realize that I know very little compared to what Joe Gibbs thinks, and this recent, simple gesture of standing behind his players promotes positivity, and establishes a sense of a base, or foundation, if you will, for continuity within a team.

I know many will not agree w/ me here; I am actually comtradicting myself a little. But, trying to look at this objectively, without focusing on the specific notion that Brunell is terrible for this team, Gibbs came out, and publically stuck by his players, and took the first steps in creating an environment that encompasses the single most important intangible found in winning teams-

Continuity.

I would agree somewhat, but as a body of fans, the Redskins fans have ALWAYS wanted the head of a QB who is not playing well. I mean that started way back with Jurgenson/Kilmer/Theissman. You can't fault the fans for screaming and yelling at an underperforming QB, however, it is ultimately up to the coach to make the final decision based on his own preferences.

Your post defines why everyone calling for Brunnell's head needs to give the guy a break, and time.

New system, new players, new coaches tinkering with new system and new players. Not to mention I we lost our best offensive player IMO for the year at the HOF game.

I never expected our offense to skyrocket and envisioned our team getting wins in the fashion we did against Tampa.

The answer to our offensive woes is continuity, everyone playing together to the point they know each other and what each other expects.

Originally posted by NoCalMike

I would agree somewhat, but as a body of fans, the Redskins fans have ALWAYS wanted the head of a QB who is not playing well. I mean that started way back with Jurgenson/Kilmer/Theissman. You can't fault the fans for screaming and yelling at an underperforming QB, however, it is ultimately up to the coach to make the final decision based on his own preferences.

Right on.

Yeah, I'm not trying to fault the fans in any way...I actually want to help everyone try and see the rationale here, and help to come to terms w/ it.

The QB is the one player who will take the brunt of the offensive troubles, but what Gibbs is eluding to is that it is the enitre unit, not one player. It's not Brunell, it's the whole offense, and even he takes the blame for that.

The point is, though this seems like a terrible thing, leaving in Brunell, it might be just the opposite.

Brunell isn't really losing games for us, he's just not winning them. I agree that continuity probably is one of the mitigating circumstances in the whole decision making process but as long as Brunell doesn't outright lose a game for us I don't see him making a swtich.

Originally posted by KevinthePRF

Your post defines why everyone calling for Brunnell's head needs to give the guy a break, and time.

I have to say, it was tough to write, because I wanted to give Brunell the boot. But, from Gibbs' decision, my eyes are opened to the idea that it's not so much Brunell, as it is the offense as a whole.

Now, if this persists throughout the entire season, things will be different...

Good post, tough call. Brunell is obviously floundering out there. As a coach that has his QBs confidence in mind do you leave him out there to the point where he goes into each game thinking "...at what point am I going to loose this one?". I have no answer, I am glad that I am not in that position.

There is some truth to what you posted about continuity. But it may also be that Ramsey doesn't look that great in practice yet, and Gibbs knows that he is not ready with this new offense. After all we don't really know what goes on behind the scenes and in practice.

But if the Skins are 1-5 at the bye, with playoff hopes really gone, it will no longer make sense to continue to start Brunell. Ramsey needs the experience if he is to further develop.

Another point I made on a post months ago -- although personally I had high expectations for this team at the time -- was that there may be serious problems at the beginning because of the high turnover in team personnel and all the new players learning the new systems. Gibbs brought in 28 new players on the roster since last year. In the past his teams would only have a turnover of about 25% or 15 new players.

Anytime you bring in a 50% turnover or more, you are usually asking for trouble. Schottenheimer brought in 30 new players and started out 0-5. Spurrier brought in 20-25 new players in each year he was the head coach. John Gruden brought in about 25 new players for Tampa Bay, and now they are also 1-4 on the year.

George Allen who brought in 31 new players in his first season as the Redskins HC, was the only HC I'm aware of who could handle the turnover. He had the Redskins in the playoffs his first season as HC.

Originally posted by Skins24

I'd rather have continuity with Ramsey at QB for the next 5 years (and beyond) than have it just this one, possibly two, years...

But that's just me...

Now, this is a good point too.

I think Gibbs' logic is that he simply wants to show his players this year that he is behind them. While I don't fully agree w/ the idea of leaving in Brunell, I do applaud his resolve w/ his initial QB decision. He wants to show that when the chips are down, the team will not come unglued under him.

Now, maybe next year, if Brunell plays terribly late into the season, we can expect to see Ramsey take the reigns then.

I'm not so sure it's Brunell that is the problem. The guy doesn't really make any mistakes. He's not setting the field on fire, but he's making the right decisions with the ball. Dropped passes, a weak O-line, poor running game, and a vanilla scheme are the teams problems, IMHO.

I said the other day that Mark is just not doing anything "offensive." By thia I mean he's not pushing the ball downfield in big chunks. However, he's not exactly "handing the game over" to other teams. If gets protected he'll shine, just like any QB.

I want Ramsey to start, however, because eventually that's the way it's going to be so why not get his reps in NOW? We could have gone 1-4 with a learning Patrick Ramsey instead of an aging Mark Brunell.

Perhaps the problem this team is struggling (similar to '81) is that both QB's are still learning the system. The difference between Brunell and Ramsey (as demonstrated against the Giants) is that Brunell will pull the ball down or throw it out of bounds if he's confused or something isn't there. Ramsey has demonstrated that he gets impatient and forces things. I think Gibbs would rather have a QB who doesn't make mistakes at this point.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Anytime you bring in a 50% turnover or more, you are usually asking for trouble. Schottenheimer brought in 30 new players and started out 0-5. Spurrier brought in 20-25 new players in each year he was the head coach. John Gruden brought in about 25 new players for Tampa Bay, and now they are also 1-4 on the year.

I completely agree.

We tend to compare Gibbs' season w/ the likes of Bill Parcells, and even Couglin, to some extent. However, there success is directly related to the level of player continuity there. In each case, there was little turnover.

This can answer the other points brought up about if Brunell is terrible the whole year, then what? I am almost certain that Brunell's performance will improve dramatically as the season progresses.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Gibbs brought in 28 new players on the roster since last year. In the past his teams would only have a turnover of about 25% or 15 new players.

Anytime you bring in a 50% turnover or more, you are usually asking for trouble.

I think this is definitely one of the hugest problems. By chance, does anyone know how much turnover each of the Gibbs' teams had each year, to compare with their record those years?

Archived