Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 'system' and the Snyder

freakofthesouth

We all know the Clinton Portis hype:

He was a 'system' back.

While I find the statement somewhat insulting to our team, it is not very far from the truth.

Because the fact of the matter is, every player is a 'system' player. Even the highest-payed, best players now, were once rookies, some hyped, and some unheralded. And even the hyped ones can be 'busts,' be it their inability to learn the nuances of the game, or a major injury, etc. Every team's system creates these players, as they rise from obscurity into fame.

Case in point: look at the Eagles, and how good they have been so far (man, it hurts to say that!). Some say, 'hey, he has TO. That changes everything.' In some respects, they are correct. But really, what you have there is team continuity. You have a QB in McNabb, though criticized at times for his accuracy, that is enjoying his 5th year in the same system. He knows his offense inside and out. Thus, bringing in a player w/ the talent of TO helps considerably, but only because McNabb, and the majority of the team has been there for years.

Enter Dan Snyder, and his cohort, Vinny Cerrato: his impatience, though somewhat beloved for his drive to win, has disrupted this team w/ collossal player movements, coaching turnovers, and overall hype. These moves give a sense of the highest excitement. And w/ those offseason highs, come season-lows that have the fans reeling. This behavior contradicts everything that football stands for- the idea of 'coordinated efficiency', as V Lombardi would say, or the idea of the 'team', sticking w/ your players through all the losing and crap. He doesn't understand this.

To get back on topic though...the idea of a 'system' is what we are dealing w/. Ask yourself this question: when was the last time the Redskins had a player come out oblivion and become a star? When did we rely on our bench to fill a deficiency rather than a big name offseason storm?

Not since Snyder, I know this much. This begs the question...how patient will Snyder be w/ Gibbs? Will he let Gibbs develop a 'system'?

Not only has Snyder dictated the environment of the Redskins...he has also heavily influenced the attitudes of the fans. Everyone, including yours truly, expects drastic changes to our team every year, which theoretically is impossible, given the overwhelming amount of player turnover in the past years. Some argue, 'Parcells made a 5-11 team a playoff contender in one season...' The difference is, Parcells basically had the same team. The same continuity. He just polished them up a bit.

So, we all need a lesson in the idea of teamwork, and it is our part, as life-long fans, to grasp the notion of patience; slow, and steady; we must un-learn the fundamentally-flawed ideals of a 'winning team' that Dan Synder has brought to DC, and be understanding of the team.

Good luck fans.

I think that is one of the great upsides to this move. Snyder won't fire Joe Gibbs. Gibbs will be here as long as he wants to let our players develop within a scheme.

And hopefully when Gibbs leaves, Gregg Williams will take over and we'll promote an offensive coach from within in order to keep continuity.

Think of this as 1981, not 1991. It'll take time but I think this season is just the beginning and this whole "experiment" will work in the longrun.

I agree that continuity is a huge factor and we have none.

I wished we could have had it with Spurrier, I was disappointed that he left, however, with Snyder as the impatient owner, Gibbs is probably the only coach that can give this team the continuity that it needs.

I'd rather struggle early and win eventually, but sometimes it's hard to see the "eventually" when the team has been so bad for so long.

Originally posted by TD_washingtonredskins

I think that is one of the great upsides to this move. Snyder won't fire Joe Gibbs. Gibbs will be here as long as he wants to let our players develop within a scheme.

And hopefully when Gibbs leaves, Gregg Williams will take over and we'll promote an offensive coach from within in order to keep continuity.

Think of this as 1981, not 1991. It'll take time but I think this season is just the beginning and this whole "experiment" will work in the longrun.

I hope it is friend.

Rest assured, if Snyder gets impatient w/ Gibbs, and lets him go early, DC will have his head. If he does that, then maybe he will finally sell this team. and free us from his curse.

Both synder and cerrato need to go; nothing good has happened since synder took this team over. I want his head on a platter, but I'm no great prophet and it's no great matter. Anyway, i really do wonder about Synder...here's what I would love to see this season: no free agent signings. Let's build through the draft like every other successful team.

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

We all know the Clinton Portis hype:

He was a 'system' back.

While I find the statement somewhat insulting to our team, it is not very far from the truth.

It is also insulting to Portis, after all Griffin isn't exactly lighting it up this year.

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

To get back on topic though...the idea of a 'system' is what we are dealing w/. Ask yourself this question: when was the last time the Redskins had a player come out oblivion and become a star? When did we rely on our bench to fill a deficiency rather than a big name offseason storm?

I think we're seeing this now with Antonio Pierce.

Originally posted by China

It is also insulting to Portis, after all Griffin isn't exactly lighting it up this year.

The last time a player came out of oblivion and became a star was HB Stephen Davis. Who many thought was just a FB destined for maybe solid career as a backup.

Originally posted by China

Yeah, I meant to make that point too. Maybe this is the start of something here, w/ guys on our defense stepping up, like Pierce, like Warner. Now, if only our offense can do the same, and break the mold that has been the norm for years now.

Excuses, excuses.

Look, Gibbs is a FIRST YEAR HEAD COACH.

Granted, he's a first year head coach with a quality history, but based on how long he's been gone, he has some things to work out.

He's installed a new offense, this first year coach, and lo and behold, the Redskins are playing like most teams do when they are in a new system installed by a first year head coach. (Things like Atlanta of this year are the exception, hardly the rule)

As painful as it all is to watch, it seems to me that MOST of the problem seems to be with timing. Portis looks like he's running up the backs of his blockers. He needs to develop timing in the offense. Let the lanes open up.. and if the blocking is breaking down, perhaps the Redskins need to use his speed in other ways. Yesterday, fumble aside, Portis played VERY hard,, had some great downfield blocks, and was excellent in pass protection blocking.

The blockers are getting beaten at the point of attack more often than I'd like,, they aren't getting to their assignments, and are getting blown up in the middle. An adjustment is required. Obviously.

The thing I am most upset with Portis about is the fumbles. I can live with the learning curve a LOT easier if not for the fumbles.

I do agree with the point about the mentality of shopping to cure all ills. Fact is, they haven't drafted well enough in later rounds over the last five years to develop anyone to be a real talent. Plus, the changing of coaches every year gives younger players way too much to deal with, and it sets them up to ultimately fail.

Pierce is becoming one of the good ones, and possibly Andre Lott, and I believe McCants COULD be,, if he'd get himself in gear. Same for Jacobs,, who I think IS in gear,, just needing a break. I'd like to see Jacobs in on a few playsc for Thrash, but man, Thrash just does all the intangibles so well,, the blocking especially.

It just seems to me the Redskins look pretty predictable on offense. And until that changes, they won't do much better,, I'm afraid.

~Bang

Archived