Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Don Banks Is Such A Hater

Hooper

The Redskins statistically dominated Tampa Bay on the ground, and had more of the game's breaks go their way,

You want something not valid? There it is. No way anyone can make the argument that the Redskins had more breaks go their way. Tampa was the benefit of the bad officiating calls, Tampa was the benefit of a fortunate bounce on the Brunell/Portis fumble (it could have easily laid on the ground where Portis could fall on it), Tampa was the benefit of all sorts of things.

The only "break" the Redskins got was when Galloway dropped the TD pass. Other than that, the Redskins made their own destiny through good plays.

I just I don't understand why you guys think this article was "hating".

He made some points that you may not agree with, and he's certainly right about everything, but he makes sense.

When I read it (before I came over here), I wasn't even getting the impression he thought the Skins were going to be a bad team this year. I just got the impression he was saying "They'll bve better, but I need to see more before I crown them".

Doesn't seem like that crazy of a statement, but oh well.

Originally posted by RabidFan

When did we get a gamebreak? we got screwed on the goaline spot, coles was bumped several times downfield that they called all preseason, we gave the Bucs their only TD......

Lott also got away with what was clearly a pass int. down the middle of the field.

The bigger problem is likely that he leaves out the overhyped Criminals. I mean, Ravens. That was a brutal loss for them. The Skins did some great things, but I try to get too excited. Has Gibbs already shown that he coach? Of course, but we still don't know how long it's going to take for him to take this team to the next level.

Originally posted by KingGibbs

Lott also got away with what was clearly a pass int. down the middle of the field.

That's an OUTRIGHT falsehood. Lott never touched the receiver in that he moved the receiver off his course or held him. He doesn't have to be looking back if he's not touching the receiver. On the other hand, we did have two plays on Coles where he was clearly impeded. One on the bomb and one down by the goal line.

Sports Illustrated has really gone to :pooh:

They have possibly the worst football writer out there in Dr. Z.

This is a classic Don Banks piece. It's just garbage.

And who can at this point stomach Peter King? All his Redskins bias aside, his analysis is just bad and how do his editors let this clown write about his daughter's softball games every damn week?!?

SI is really a dinosaur that has failed miserably to keep up with the times. In an age where I can turn on ESPNews 24/7, and with countless sports sites, why do I want to read an article about some game that happened a week ago?

ESPN magazine has its faults, but it's a much more entertaining read.

Sports Illustrated -> :finger:

Originally posted by RC

On the Lott play, they even talked about how it was a rookie mistake that the reciever did not draw the foul. A more experienced reciever might have stopped and got Lott to plow into him but a rookie doesn't have the awareness yet to do that so he was never touched.

Lott wasn't aware enough to not look to the ball and Clayton wasn't aware enough to draw the foul. So no harm, no foul.

Originally posted by KingGibbs

I think this was a fair analysis of our 'skins. I to do not know what to expect from this team other than I know we will be discplined. My :2cents:

I agree. Don Bank's points make sense. While I think the Redskins will improve as the season goes on I'm still on the fence as to how good they are right now.

The Skins dominated the Bucs statistically but couldn't put the game away until late (reminicent of last season). Stupid mistakes (like fumbled exchanges) kept the game close. Brunell continues to be far from impressive. The team has to get much better at passing the ball or teams will keep 8 in the box to stop Portis.

The biggest difference I saw was that the team didn't change it's focus when things got tough. I'd just like for once to be able to watch a game in the fourth quarter knowing the Skins have it in the bag - ala the Eagles last week against the Giants.

Archived