Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Add Plaschke to the Haters list

terpfan

Bill Plaschke said today on Around the Horn that there is "no way" we win 9 games this year. Plaschke is also apparently in the "our name is offensive" camp so I'm at all surprised.

In fact most of the guys said we we are "not for real" other than Mariotti who said we'd be a playoff contender with 8-10 wins. Apparently the D wasnt tested, Brunell sucked, the O Line is still questionable (nobody mentions they gave up 0 sacks), and without that 64 yard run Portis was horrible. :rolleyes:

At least Stat Boy seemed to be sticking up for us. Can't wait for the end of the year so Plaschke cant eat his words! :cheers:

And i believe Elliot was either scanning through the Cowboys forums or the Buc's forums with that statement "Take away the 64 yard run..." what a tool. Take away the 64 yard run ? it was part of his running stat, theres no way it can be taken back, and no it wasnt a fluke. Lets see, so in the end about 8-9 carries were to just run the clock out, thats why his carries per game went up.

Take that 64 yard run away and 8 carries at the end:

total = 84 yards on 21 carries which is 4yrds for rush attempt

thats not a bad average.

I love when people do this... That is like saying Well if you take away the 2 int's a QB threw since they were tipped/bad passes/end of the game/(insert other excuse here) then his stats would be great (duh, that is why int's are part of the stats).

I guess for Clinton we could respond that if you take away all his runs of less that 2 yards, his avg would have been ...blah.... (this is just a random as taking away some other run). Like everyone else has said the good runners get the long runs (either early or late) but they get the long ones and that is what makes them great.

BTW, that game was right up there with his normal (avg) game (in yards per carry) so what is so surprising to anyone.

Originally posted by Soliloquy

Hey, if he takes the 64-yard run back, can we take the Brunell-to-Barber fumble back?

Especially because the fumble, in my opinion, was unforced. The Bucs made a mistake on the TD run, but Portis had to read it correctly to make them pay.

That's what the radio commentators are saying down here. Take away that one play and the bucs defense was awesome. I disagree. They were very solid and played well enough for most teams to win, but they still are vulnerable to being worn down. After all, Portis and the skins basically ran the clock down on their final 2 FG drives and the vaunted Buc defense couldn't stop them.

I'm not saying the Redskins should put their name on the trophy or that the Bucs are dead. But compare this to last season. The Redskins look like they addressed there major problems to large degree, while the Bucs seem to have made things worse.

Just one game though.

Originally posted by laurent

I love when people do the good old 'without this they wouldn't have done crap' routine. That 64 yard TD run is exactly what makes Portis so special. He's a homerun threat whenever he touches the ball.

Right? It's like saying that George Foreman wouldn't be that good, if it weren't for his KO punch. Or saying that Mark McGuire would suck, if it wasn't for his home run record. DUH!!!

I agree Laurent. This is exactly what makes Portis special, his ability to break the big runs. Portis may not make 100+ yds every game...what I do expect is that he will fit nicely into this offense & will be consistent. I also expect that he WILL probably break a good run at least 10 times this year (or at least in 10 games). He also adds the extra dimension of the running game that most teams' defenses need for Priest Holmes, Tomlinson, & Lewis. Portis is going to be the real deal here, I think. Run, Clinton, run!!!

Archived