Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP EMAIL: St. Louis Rams Up Next for Redskins

bubba9497

St. Louis Rams Up Next for Redskins

The St. Louis Rams will be facing a quick turnaround when they host the Washington Redskins on Friday in the third preseason game for each team. The Rams play the Kansas City Chiefs tonight at Arrowhead Stadium in the Missouri Governor's Cup game.

Tailback Marshall Faulk is scheduled to get some limited playing time tonight and, if all goes well, could get some more extensive action against the Redskins as he prepares for his 11th NFL season. Faulk has acknowledged that he could face a decision about whether to retire after the season, and there have been rumblings throughout the league that the deteriorating condition of his knees could severely hinder him. But Rams Coach Mike Martz, the former quarterbacks coach for the Redskins under Norv Turner, has said that Faulk looks better now than he usually does at this point.

The Rams used the 24th overall pick in the draft in April to select Faulk's would-be eventual successor, Oregon State tailback Steven Jackson, and he looked good in the preseason opener, rushing for 73 yards on 15 carries in a sloppy 13-10 overtime loss to the Chicago Bears 11 days ago.

Martz comes from the same coaching tree as Redskins Coach Joe Gibbs. Both use a version of the old "Air Coryell" offensive system utilized by Don Coryell with the San Diego Chargers, and Martz is extremely close to Redskins coaching consultant Ernie Zampese. Martz's offense is a revved-up version of Gibbs's, relying less on the power running game and using more formations with three or four wide receivers, but the basic concepts are the same.

Martz has turned over his offense to young quarterback Marc Bulger, who threw for 3,845 yards and 22 touchdowns last season in helping the Rams to a 12-4 record. But Bulger threw 22 regular-season interceptions, and Martz demonstrated a lack of trust in the young quarterback when he played for a tying field goal at the end of regulation in the team's double-overtime loss to the Carolina Panthers in an NFC semifinal. Still, the Rams signed Bulger to a four-year, $19-million contract extension in the offseason and released two-time league most valuable player Kurt Warner, leaving veteran Chris Chandler to back up Bulger. If Bulger and the Rams falter, Martz's job security could come into question by season's end.

The Rams' biggest concern for now is their patchwork offensive line. Left tackle Orlando Pace has not reported to the club because of contract dispute. Right tackle Kyle Turley has a career-threatening back injury, and center Dave Wohlabaugh was released after undergoing offseason hip surgery. The biggest question on defense is whether the team will be able to generate a consistent pass rush after losing end Grant Wistrom via free agency.

By Mark Maske

I dont think the Rams will be extremely effective with their patchwork offensive line. If we make a play or two in the secondary and disrupt their timing, expect a few good early sacks. However, the Rams' attack offense will be a good test and a learning situation for our pressure attack defense. Also, the counter trey led offense will be tested by a speedy Rams defense. I'd like to see Jeremetrius Butler, the upcommer who we signed to an offer sheet, which was matched by the Rams. Should be a good game.

The Rams are having serious OL trouble, they've resorted to signing players who've been retired for a couple of years:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=1864444

Injuries, Pace's holdout wreak havoc

by Len Pasquarellli

Just how dire has the St. Louis Rams' offensive line situation become?

Desperate enough that Rams officials, forced into a maddening game of musical chairs because injuries and a major holdout have the unit so out of tune, on Friday lured veteran guard Tom Nutten out of retirement to help address the shortage of bodies.

Nutten, 33, retired last August, after signing with the Jets as an unrestricted free agent in the spring, because of an elbow injury. He spent this spring in Germany, where he grew up, serving as an assistant coach with the Cologne Centurions of the NFL Europe League. And he was scheduled to depart for Germany again this weekend, to run a youth football camp there.

Instead, he was back on the practice field Friday, after signing a one-year contract for the league minimum of $535,000.

Nutten acknowledged he has a long way to go with his conditioning before he might be able to help the Rams. And his weight, about 280 pounds, is 20 pounds less than his old playing weight. But such is the Rams' plight that team officials felt that the dependable Nutten might be able to help clean up their offensive line mess.

"I have a long way to go," Nutten told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "But I made a commitment. I do believe it's do-able. I'm here to help out any way or any shape I can."

Nutten played five seasons with the Rams, including the 1999 Super Bowl championship campaign. Of his 57 career starts, 55 came in a four-year span, 1999-2002, in St. Louis. He left the team last spring, signing with the Jets, but then determined he was not healthy enough to make the team and retired, returning his $600,000 signing bonus.

It is believed that, if he can get back into shape, Nutten will vie for playing time at his old left guard position.

So unsettled are the Rams that their starting lineup changes, it seems, on a weekly basis. Just one of the team's projected starters, right guard Adam Timmerman, is lining up in his usual spot.

Standout left tackle Orlando Pace, designated as a franchise player, continues to hold out. Right tackle Kyle Turley, who underwent March surgery for a herniated disc in his back, left camp for further treatment and has told friends he is uncertain he will be able to play at all this season. Starting center Dave Wohlabaugh was released this week after it became apparent he was far from rehabilitated following offseason hip surgery.

Team officials are hopeful that the situation with Pace, who has now missed virtually all of camp for the third time in his eight-year career, will be resolved soon.

That would be a major step toward restoring some faint semblance of normalcy.

I don't care much about winning the game as I do seeing more consistent o-line play, solid QB production, and rookie production. If we play as a team likewe did last weekend, things will work out fine for us as soon as these games start counting. Until then, all I hope for is no injuries and improvments in our teamwork.

If all goes well this week, our defense could be at full-strength, meaning Lavar comes back, and Barrow finally takes some snaps w/ the starters. GW also has observed the increased-effectiveness of the defense when Phillip Daniels is in, and he could very well play Friday.

Any way this pans out, it will be interesting to see how the team rebounds off of a big win.

I want to see Ramsey play with the same confidence he displayed last year, MINUS all the sacks. I hate that we have to play on turf but we really need to get the starters more reps.

Do you take a chance a let the starters play 2+ quarters on turf or do you let them go longer than normal in the last preseason game at home on grass?

Originally posted by China

The Rams are having serious OL trouble, they've resorted to signing players who've been retired for a couple of years:

Man I'd hate to be the skins right now, I mean, the skins must be having serious o-line trouble, they've resorted to signing ray brown, one of THE oldest olineman in the league, if not the oldest.

:doh:

Originally posted by Ignatius J.

Man I'd hate to be the skins right now, I mean, the skins must be having serious o-line trouble, they've resorted to signing ray brown, one of THE oldest olineman in the league, if not the oldest.

:doh:

Obviously we did need some help or we wouldn't have signed him. Just because we were in need doesn't mean the Rams aren't desperate. At least the player we signed has played recently and doesn't have a history of serious injury that caused him to retire. Nutten hasn't played in a couple of years and needs to bulk up, shake off the rust and hopefully not reinjure his questionable elbow. If we hadn't signed Brown, the Rams would have no doubt signed him instead of Nutten. Who would you rather have?

Originally posted by Jimbo

Do you take a chance a let the starters play 2+ quarters on turf or do you let them go longer than normal in the last preseason game at home on grass?

They need to practice on turf as well... just dallas i think this year on the reg season schedule..

dunno bout detroit...... phili now w/ grass i think at lincoln financial field....

anyways, the speed of the game is faster on astro turf...

i think just 1 quater would be enough considering the lack of opponents on the stuff.....

Ray Brown at 6'7 and 320 is a better bet to help out this season than Tom Nutten :)

And Brown will be a backup not a guy vying for a starting job.

Besides, the Redskins due to the power game and the fact we keep tight ends in to block reduces the impact of losing Jansen to some degree.

The Rams on the other hand often don't keep anyone in to block and must depend on their starting 5 to win their individual matchups.

Without Pace, Turley AND Wohlabaugh it seems unlikey the Rams are going to be able to sustain the offense they have run in recent years.

Otherwise Marc Bulger is going to begin to look like Patrick Ramsey did last year with Steve Spurrier sitting on the sidelines.

The Chiefs power running game really took it to the Rams in the first half tonight. They looked better against the Rams than we did against the Fins on Saturday. Next Friday will be a good comparison for us. If we can do what the Chiefs did to the Rams then we can believe that our offense is really good. If not, we will know that we still have a ways to go.

On defense, the Chiefs looked much better than they did last year. Their DC Cunningham has the same crew looking good this year. We will see what our defense can do against the Rams.

The Rams looked flat this game. They should be more up for the game with us in their house, although they do have a short week, so not much time for their coaches to get their guys to do things much differently. Kind of like our second game, we didn't look much better than we did in the opener.

It will be a good test for us on Saturday. Hope we can pass it. And Ramsey needs to start hitting his recievers if he is to have any shot at being the starter.

Originally posted by illone

I don't care much about winning the game as I do seeing more consistent o-line play, solid QB production, and rookie production. If we play as a team likewe did last weekend, things will work out fine for us as soon as these games start counting. Until then, all I hope for is no injuries and improvments in our teamwork.

Amen, Brudda!!!;)

Archived