Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot vs. Coles.......

NoCalMike

Well I know it is only a couple of practices in, however Coles vs. Bailey was an attraction to the fans last year, so I am wondering just how the Smoot vs. Coles battles are going? Hopefully not too one-sided either way....We already know Coles is the man as a #1 receiver, but this year will either answer or raise questions about Smoot's skills as a #1 corner, unless Springs is the #1 corner.....hehehe.

Guest Westbrook36

I wouldn't worry about your number one receiver taking your corners to school during training camp. They have the marked advantage as the QB can deliver the ball without a pass rush and 7 on 7 drills leave the CB on an island.

Most people on the Eagle's message board are worried because TO is taking EVERYONE to school. Well, he's one of the top WR's in the league. He should be doing that. Just as Coles should take all your CBs to school daily.

Originally posted by Westbrook36

I wouldn't worry about your number one receiver taking your corners to school during training camp. They have the marked advantage as the QB can deliver the ball without a pass rush and 7 on 7 drills leave the CB on an island.

Most people on the Eagle's message board are worried because TO is taking EVERYONE to school. Well, he's one of the top WR's in the league. He should be doing that. Just as Coles should take all your CBs to school daily.

Funny you should mention TO, cause in 2001 I was at the Skins/9ers game and TO had a pretty quiet day receiving-wise. He did have the rush for the TD on the broken play, but receiving-wise, Smoot handled him pretty well with a little Bailey sprinkled in too. That was one of those defenses where we didn't have a true #1 on assignments since Bailey/Smoot would work their side of the field regardless of the recievers switching. Oh and you also have two young, inexperienced CBs, who may turn out great in a year or so, but in the present time are young and inexperienced.

Guest Westbrook36
Originally posted by NoCalMike

Funny you should mention TO, cause in 2001 I was at the Skins/9ers game and TO had a pretty quiet day receiving-wise. He did have the rush for the TD on the broken play, but receiving-wise, Smoot handled him pretty well with a little Bailey sprinkled in too. That was one of those defenses where we didn't have a true #1 on assignments since Bailey/Smoot would work their side of the field regardless of the recievers switching. Oh and you also have two young, inexperienced CBs, who may turn out great in a year or so, but in the present time are young and inexperienced.

Young and inexperienced corners? Ok, taken in the same draft as Portis and have about 10 or so starts between them as well as nickel and dime responsibilities the last two years.

BTW, I find it interesting how you keep harping how our CB's are young and inexperienced while never thinking that having a rookie starting in the defensive backfield for your team is anything but a strength.

BTW, I hope Smoot and Springs is as good a combination as Smoot and Bailey.

terrell_owens_a.jpg

It's not obviously, however Smoot/Springs + Taylor is better then, Smoot/Bailey + Bowen and/or Ohalate.....

Also, it is not just Redskins fans claiming Taylor is a strength, mot draft day experts and NFL analysts, have said many times over that Taylor has what it takes to be an immediate impact. I personally, never said anything about best this, or better that or probowl this year........

BTW, I find it interesting how you keep harping how our CB's are young and inexperienced while never thinking that having a rookie starting in the defensive backfield for your team is anything but a strength.

A lot of rookie DB's taken in the top 5 have a great year, like Dallas cowboys Terence Newman, and Champ had a great rookie year as well.

well, the deal is that all the experts are hailing Taylor a lot more, claiming him to be the next Ronnie Lott and on par with some of the other best safeties of the league. Now Lite Sheppard and Sheldon Brown(i think), they say those 2 may come into their own this year without Taylor and Vincent, but you dont hear they are the next Deion Sanders or Darrel Greens or some of the other best corners that have graced the halls of the NFL. Taylor could still be a flop, or take a year for all we know, but we will start Iffy if Taylor is not up to par yet. With you guys now, you have 2 young corners, but it seems to me every article Ive read about them has rated one of them pretty good, but not the other one.

Young and inexperienced corners? Ok, taken in the same draft as Portis and have about 10 or so starts between them as well as nickel and dime responsibilities the last two years.

Taylor is no ordinary rookie. I bet we see him matched up on T.O. sometimes. He is a little bigger than T.O. and I am sure he is faster, having run on Miami's track and field team.

I think you guys missed Westbrook's point with the Owens Sharpie picture. He scored that TD on Springs.

BUT, as earlier said, Springs was not backed by someone just as fast as him in Taylor in Seattle. In fact, his safety help that game was I believe Reggie Tongue, not exactly a burner.

Originally posted by cphil006

Taylor is no ordinary rookie. I bet we see him matched up on T.O. sometimes. He is a little bigger than T.O. and I am sure he is faster, having run on Miami's track and field team.

Taylor AND Smoot on TO, or Taylor AND Springs. I woldn't trust Taylor alone. After all, Taylor doesn't have the cover skills of Champ Bailey.

Originally posted by JoeSkins

Taylor AND Smoot on TO, or Taylor AND Springs. I woldn't trust Taylor alone. After all, Taylor doesn't have the cover skills of Champ Bailey.

I agree, I doubt coaches would do that, but he has good enough cover skills that he was matched-up on Larry Fitzgerald and held him to 3 catches for 24 yards.

Guest Westbrook36
Originally posted by ArmchairRedskin

He won't have anyone near as accurate as Garcia to throw to him this year. McCan'tfindarecieversoi'lljustrunit isn't gonna do TO any favors.

This is a great point. In fact, it's so great, I'm going to print it out, laminate it, and hang it on my wall.

Just imagine how great it would have been if McNabb didn't have a higher completion percentage than Garcia last year?

Try again. :doh:

This is a great point. In fact, it's so great, I'm going to print it out, laminate it, and hang it on my wall.

Just imagine how great it would have been if McNabb didn't have a higher completion percentage than Garcia last year?

So I guess TO signed that ball last year? Caught that ball on Springs last year? Jeez you really got me there.

Who doesn't love homerism? Anyway, I think the Redskins will double cover TO while focusing on the run, to make McNabb beat them with his arm to the "lesser" receivers. Sounds like a sound strategy to me, whether or not it works, who knows. But the point is, I don't think it matters who the corners or who covers TO would be (unless they really really suck).

BTW, I hope Smoot and Springs is as good a combination as Smoot and Bailey.

terrell_owens_a.jpg

Dumb comment. :doh: You should be ashamed. :nono:

Anyone on this planet would take smoot\springs\portis combo for their team.

You act like Springs sucks. He's still better then either of your starting corners... so what's up?

Originally posted by cphil006

I agree, I doubt coaches would do that, but he has good enough cover skills that he was matched-up on Larry Fitzgerald and held him to 3 catches for 24 yards.

Taylor wasn't matched up on Fitz that game. Antrell Rolle was pressing him all game long and the Miami pass rush was on Rutherford the whole game (6 sacks). Pick another game to highlite your boy Taylor casuse i don't buy this one.

Guest Westbrook36
Originally posted by WilberMarshall

I hope and pray that McNabb tries to beat the Skins by passing the ball...

Pray he does just that!

Yeah, like the last game of the season last year when he completed like 70 percent of his passes, had 4 total tds, and over a 100 QB rating.

Wait! Hold on! I just pressed my Canned Excuse 2000 and it shows that was all Spurriers fault.

I apologize. :laugh:

That is one year. It happened to be Garcia's worst year by far and McNabb's completion percentage that year was very close to his career best.

Look at both of their careers, and you will find that Garcia has a much better completion percentage than McNabb.

Archived