Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts and Sultan for Ogunleye?

skinsfanbu

Which one fits best  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which one fits best

• Dallas Was Wrong for waiting this long.
    • Ricky Was Wrong for waiting this long.
    • They are both wrong!
    • Who cares! buncha millionaires :)...

Originally posted by buzzlightbeer81

if anything rickey retireing kills our chances of gettin Ogunleye. How much more cap room do they have now because of rickys retirement

They already had $6.8 million in cap room, and Ricky's contract was still the one he got as a rookie. That was an 8 year $11.1 million. It was insentive based and the most he could've got in that 8 years would be about $68.4 million...

Ah forget it, here's the article. ;)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/1999/05/14/williams_sign/

Point is, it's insentive based and he's not playing. It won't help them as much as one would originally think. ;)

They might consider Betts and your 05 #1 for Ogun. You'd still have to cut someone[likely Wynn] to get Ogun's contract to fit under your cap but with Ogun and without Betts and Wynn you'd be a better team in 04. Since Ricky retired the Phins save 3.5M on this year's cap which leaves them 11M under but cap space isn't what's keeping them from giving Ogun what he wants.....They just don't think he's worth that much.

BTW....Before someone suggests including Wynn in the package that wouldn't work because his remaining SB would be accelerated if traded and would wipe out the cap savings you would get from cutting him which is needed to fit Ogun under the cap.

I would consider Betts and Sultan but I would be concerned about our RB depth. I would be in favor of trading Samuels or next years first rounder

:laugh:

You'd be concerned abut losing the RB depth behind Portis but NOT concerned about losing the starting left tackle? One who, with good coaching has been a top 5 LT and who has the potential to be again?

We won't be getting Ogunleye unless Miami feels good about the compensation. And probably that' d be at the very least betts and a 2cd (and our 2cd was spent to get the third to draft cooley with).

It's a mighty slim chance Ogunleye leaves Miami. I'd expect it to take the 1st rounder and Betts....

(which I'd do) I like Betts and I don't want to lose both the 1st and 2cd from next year. But Ogunleye fills the missing link we need NOW.)

Please don't mind me, my ignorance is showing, but with everyone talking about Miami's sudden cap surplus, won't some of it be negated by having to replace Williams? Or do they have a superstar waiting in the wings that I don't know about? Not saying that I think the suggested trade is very likely, but cap wise it seems they're going to have to get someone.

the phins, if they were smart, should call the bears (a train) or the vikes (onterrio, bennett, moe). betts is good, but he is not the best backup in the league. that is who the phins will call.

plus, i can see ricky coming back. rumors are out that he wanted to skip training camp and clean out his drug infested system, so he would not have to deal with fines and/or suspension.

definitely a weird guy!

We have to keep Betts for depth. If CP goes down we would be in trouble.

The Redskins don't have a player to add with Sultan that we can spare that would make the trade with Miami work. They would want a top notch starting RB or a blue chip RB and a 1st round quality player. You can argue that we don't have a blue chip rb or a top quality player we can spare for the trade.

The Dolphins just might let Travis Minor be there starter. He has been in the shadow of Ricky Williams for awhile. Not many people are going to get much playing time behind him. I wonder what Laveranues Coles would say about Minor and his chances of being the starter.

this is the most preposterous trade I have seen suggested on this board in a while :laugh: :laugh:

the Dolphins who turned down a #1 pick are now going to deal a 15 sack DE for two running backs, neither which has been a primary ballcarrier in the NFL even for a single season? :)

the Dolphins would be better off signing James Stewart to a one year deal and then working a deal for Ogunleye based on the merits.

McCullough is not yet even a bona fide NFLer. And may never be.

The Dolphins may have to trade for a runner but they can find a better, if still inflated deal, somewhere else :)

Guest Westbrook36

Eddie George must be kicking himself right now. He coulda got over 3 mill a year in Miami right now.

Eddie said he went to Dallas to earn a ring. I don't see him getting it given his age and window.

If he was really interested in getting a ring there were better venues where the competition is less intense than this year's NFC East.

Washington, Philly both had better offseasons than Dallas.

I think it will be difficult for the Cowboys to repeat their surprise playoff run from 2003.

Eddie had a better shot at a ring where he was. He's going to get a good deal of carries with Dallas, I would think, but he would of got all and maybe more money if we waited two days.

...Antwone Smith too.

I could see Miami going after someone elses back-up Davenport/Green Bay, Wheatley/Oakland

Originally posted by skinsfanbu

The time to deal is when a team is desperate. There may be chance this deal could go through...What do you think?

HTTR,

You need to move away from the liquor cabinet my friend.

There are a couple of teams with real 2nd rb's on them like the Vikings (MIchael Bennett, Ontarrio Smith)

Denver Broncos (Garrison Hearst, Mike Anderson)

Seattle Seahawks (S. Alexander, Maurice Morris)

That the Dolphins can approach. Why in the heck would the dolphins want Betts??? He hasn't done a thing since he's been here and hasn't beat out any back in compitition yet!

I know I'm new to this site but any poster who thinks Betts has any value other then special teams needs a drug test.:rolleyes:

Miami is supposedly in contact with Chicago about a possible trade involving a package of players including rb Anthony Thomas. I dont think Betts and Sultan look as appetizing as a rb with Thomas's credentials plus other players to boot. I would love to get this guy but I just dont think that we have what they need now.

I'd rather offer them Morton. I'd like to keep Betts as much as possible. Think about it. Thrash can return kicks. They both were asked to try returning punts so, neither was a 'natural' at that. (ala Mitchell or Mike Nelms).

Morton is not going to be the 3rd down back with Gibbs. I've already heard Gibbs comment that he thought Betts was a 3rd down back.

Originally posted by Flowtrain

Surely, you can't be serious.

I am serious and don't call me Shirley.

I am a skins fan and completely agree with you.

Flow how are the jets looking this year? This news must be music to your ears since NE and Buffalo are the teams to beat in that division and Miami is now off the list.

Originally posted by jbooma

I am a skins fan and completely agree with you.

Flow how are the jets looking this year? This news must be music to your ears since NE and Buffalo are the teams to beat in that division and Miami is now off the list.

We're doing backflips. Over 4 games, Ricky averaged 143 total yards and a TD against us. Provided Miami doesn't swing a miraculous deal to bail themselves out, Ricky's retirement is just as devestating as people are making it out to be. Remember, we're talking about the NFL leader in carries in 2002 AND 2003 -- that's how important he was to their offense.

There's obviously no love lost between the Jets and the Dolphins - they're our best equivalent of your Cowboys. As far as I'm concerned, anytime you acquire a RB who graced a magazine cover in a wedding dress and would only conduct interviews while wearing a helmet, you assume the risk of any bizarre decisions he may make thereafter.

Originally posted by Pocono

They might consider Betts and your 05 #1 for Ogun. You'd still have to cut someone[likely Wynn] to get Ogun's contract to fit under your cap but with Ogun and without Betts and Wynn you'd be a better team in 04. Since Ricky retired the Phins save 3.5M on this year's cap which leaves them 11M under but cap space isn't what's keeping them from giving Ogun what he wants.....They just don't think he's worth that much.

BTW....Before someone suggests including Wynn in the package that wouldn't work because his remaining SB would be accelerated if traded and would wipe out the cap savings you would get from cutting him which is needed to fit Ogun under the cap.

Er cutting and trading have the same cap implications. The bonus gets accelerated the same way whether a player is traded or cut.

Archived