Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The O'reilly Factor -- Behind The Scenes

Hooper

You know, there's a place for intellectual elitism in TV, I think. Look at the "political commentators" who have the highest mass appeal--e.g. O'Reilly and Michael Moore. O'Reilly's ratings are still high. Moore's movies are watched by millions. They are both jackarses. Yet people love them and believe them.

So when someone comes along and offers (for example) the McLaughlin Group as a viable alternative to the crap that's routinely rammed down our throats, let's not dismiss them as boring or elitist. They may be concerned with seeking truth rather than entertainment. And that still might have some value for our society.

Originally posted by ross3909

O'reily is interesting to listen to. I don't agree with him all the time but more often than not. My fiance can't stand it saying he is opinionated but that is why it is called the O'REILY Factor. You tune in knowing you are getting a persons opinion. It is just like Hannity, Ingram, or Rush.

Yep. You're right (Thank you for listening to the No Spin zone), he plainly labels his show as opinion, (You're entering the No Spin zone), and everybody who listens to it (call 1-800-NO-SPIN.) knows he's edited the show in order to distort the statements of the people he's "quoting".

He clearly tries to be fair and balanced (We can't use that quote! Do it again, and I'll 'paraphrase' what I want the guy to say.)

It must be true, because a bunch of people listen to it, and they think it's true, so it must be true, right?

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

You know, there's a place for intellectual elitism in TV, I think. Look at the "political commentators" who have the highest mass appeal--e.g. O'Reilly and Michael Moore. O'Reilly's ratings are still high. Moore's movies are watched by millions. They are both jackarses. Yet people love them and believe them.

So when someone comes along and offers (for example) the McLaughlin Group as a viable alternative to the crap that's routinely rammed down our throats, let's not dismiss them as boring or elitist. They may be concerned with seeking truth rather than entertainment. And that still might have some value for our society.

Agree. I am amused by the folks here that are demonizing Bill O'Reilly while framing Michael Moore as a "lily white" crusader for the truth. While it may be from different cloth, they were cut from the same pattern. If it is wrong, it is wrong no matter who does it.

Originally posted by Ancalagon the Black

here here :applause:

The absolute best would be Michael Moore interviewing Bill O'Reily on the O'Reily Factor for a Michael Moore Documentary. The freakin' studio would explode.

Now THAT would be worth watching :)

Originally posted by Destino

Provide the original quote and source.

Here's more to read about O'Reilly...

source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A62722-2000Dec12?language=printer

Sometimes its better to just keep quiet. That way people won't know you are a fool.

I listen to O'Reilly on the radio a couple of times per week. He routinely points to this article during his show, probably once a week. He has the deed to the house where he grew up in Levitown. This article is just untrue. It has been proven so by O'Reilly.

Originally posted by ShonyX

Sometimes its better to just keep quiet. That way people won't know you are a fool.

I listen to O'Reilly on the radio a couple of times per week. He routinely points to this article during his show, probably once a week. He has the deed to the house where he grew up in Levitown. This article is just untrue. It has been proven so by O'Reilly.

Have you seen the deed? Please provide it. If you can't then I suggest you not call anyone a fool. I won't judge your mental capacity at this time, but it's not a good sign when you take a man at his word who has called for the death of Matt Drudge, lied about his voter registration, lied about awards he's recieved, and has shown serious self control problems on his own show.

He attacks anyone that dares question anything he has ever said. He talk of wanting to be in the wild west so he could shoot Al Franken in the head, he calls Drudge a crack head, insults G. Gordon Liddy, yells at his guests, etc etc.

Have you seen the deed? Please provide it. If you can't then I suggest you not call anyone a fool. I won't judge your mental capacity at this time, but it's not a good sign when you take a man at his word who has called for the death of Matt Drudge, lied about his voter registration, lied about awards he's recieved, and has shown serious self control problems on his own show.

He attacks anyone that dares question anything he has ever said. He talk of wanting to be in the wild west so he could shoot Al Franken in the head, he calls Drudge a crack head, insults G. Gordon Liddy, yells at his guests, etc etc.

Actually, he had a photocopy on his website, I'm not sure if it is still there, but it probably is. And while I check out the Drudge Report a lot, I can understand why O'Reilly despises him. Drudge was the one who blew the story on Kerry's supposed affair with an intern, and we all know what happened to that one. Drudge is as full of himself as O'Reilly, Moore, Franken, or any of them. But I won't defend the shooting Franken or killing Drudge comments, if he made them on air, because that's going way too far and is hypocritical for him to say those things if you watch his show.

I do watch his show occasionally, and I don't mind him because he makes a true effort to have guests on whose opinions differ from him. And when he refers to the No Spin Zone, he really means how he attempts to call out biased stories from newspapers or other media sources, and he does a reasonably good job at doing it. But sometimes, he definitely goes too far. I'm tired of him trashing Moore every day, which is funny for me to say because I'm not a Moore fan. He's only adding fuel to Moore's fire. I think he is at his best when he sticks to the No Spin Zone and doesn't get into rants about things that are bothering him, even if I may agree with them. And I have to disagree with saying he yells at his guests. He gets loud at times, but he is only trying to get his word in. As far as I've seen, he hasn't insulted or offended his guests, he just tells them they're wrong or naive or he disagrees, there's nothing wrong with that.

I think most of you people who hate these guys so much must be afraid that they can sway a persons view. It just so happens that most of the radio stations that carry guys like Rush, Hannity and O'Reilly are broadcasting CBS news every half hour. You truely do get both sides of the bias, yet when these guys react to the news, you have already heard one side of it.

They can p*ss me off from time to time, but I personally enjoy listening to them. I have my own point of view on various issues and every once and a while those views are similar to these guys.

However, I don't buy every load of opinionated, "shock-value" attack that they throw out there.

You must keep in mind that this is entertainment. Ratings must be achieved and audiences must be catered to.

If you expect them to be any less of an a*shole than say Howard Stern, you obviously don't get that it is ENTERTAINMENT.

http://www.billoreilly.com/images/PDF/deed.pdf

I have now provided the deed. Can I can you a fool yet?

http://www.billoreilly.com/images/PDF/deed.pdf

I have now provided the deed. Can I can you a fool yet?

It's not me you should be calling a fool...

O'Reilly actually grew up in Westbury, Long Island, a middle-class suburb a few miles from Levittown, according to his mother Angela, who still lives in the Levitt-built house Bill grew up in.

It seems Bills mom doesn't know where she lives. That or Bill is showing a house they owned and not mentioning a move.

OK, Destino. You are a fool. Fool, fool, fool!

Here is my rebut: (damn, I thought the deed to the house would make you at least say , "my bad")

http://www.lyingliar.com/lies/oreilly/levittown.htm

Fool.

:stupid:

OK Shonyx you're an @sshole. Do you feel better now? Name calling is retarded but if that's the game you want to play.....

BTW - the source is still Bill's mom according to the Washington Post. Pardon me if I trust them more then your wonderful Bill O'Reilly fan site.

Also if the neighborhood is half as run down as the windbag you seem to love claims, why does his mom live there now? Bill is rich.

Look, all I can do is rebut the crappy information you provide. I don't know why his mom still lives there. Some people are just like that.

The source I provided is definatly biased. Just read what it has to say. It states facts. You can't deny the facts.

I'm not normally a jerk, but these type of posts bother the hell out of me. Why can't you accept the fact that you may be wrong?

Look, all I can do is rebut the crappy information you provide. I don't know why his mom still lives there. Some people are just like that.

The source I provided is definatly biased. Just read what it has to say. It states facts. You can't deny the facts.

I'm not normally a jerk, but these type of posts bother the hell out of me. Why can't you accept the fact that you may be wrong?

I'm not wrong about O'Reilly, he is as I stated earleir a lying @sshole. Look at the drudge example if you don't like the one we are currently debating. As for this issue, it's his mom the post is claiming as a source. Now if I were to beleive you or Bill, I'd have to accept the fact she doesn't know where she lives, that his dad who made the equivalent of 92k a year chose to live in a poorer area, and that even though Bill is rich his mom still lives there.

I chose not to. I could be wrong but my gut tells me Bill is spinning again. Otherwise all he had to do was put his mom on camera and ask her, or take a picture of his house and his working class neighborhood.

Ugg. I think I'll retire from the Tailgate now. This is so pointless.

O'Reilly is extremely popular, now as much as ever. Most people have a favorable opinion about him. He makes it a point to be fair, but he routinely lets his personal bias guide his show. He makes the effort, though.

When somebody posts a negative article about anybody, you can all but guarantee the sharks will smell the blood in the water. To every person who posted in this thread, I can make a blanket statement that you didn't like O'Relly before you read the article. This just reinforced your belief. This is the same type of thing as the Michael Moore threads.

And then some hoidy toidy poster will have to say "I prefer the McLaughlin group" or "Foreign films are so much better". Blah to you. Go suck a white wine spritzer!

buwhahaha!!! Post of the year!!!

Go suck a white wine spritzer. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by Liberty

O'Reilly is the biggest ass on TV even beating out fellow jerk Sean "hannitize the world" Hannity. I hate the way he says he show has wonderful ratings every day. I hate how he thinks he smarter than his guest when more often than not he sounds like raving lunatic. And I especially hate how he shows a letter calling him a crazy liberal after showing a letter calling him a crazy conservative. He is so full of himself it is sickening.

"There is no other cure than to kill Matt Drudge," O'Reilly charged on the IMUS in the MORNING radio show." :laugh: is that true? O'Reilly is a bigger ass than I ever though before if that is true.

Your just mad because Hannity makes liberals look like total idiots on his show.

Originally posted by Johnny 'Luscious' Punani

Your just mad because Hannity makes liberals look like total idiots on his show.

The only idiot on Hannity's show is the host. The guy yells like an enraged ape anytime someone dares to dispute his claim. Pretends to win arguments by attempting to force guests to answer loaded questions. And when nothing else works he hangs up on them and calls them names.

I bet you are a big fan of mAnn Coulter too?

The only idiot on Hannity's show is the host. The guy yells like an enraged ape anytime someone dares to dispute his claim. Pretends to win arguments by attempting to force guests to answer loaded questions. And when nothing else works he hangs up on them and calls them names.

The only person I've seen yell like an enraged ape on that show was Al Franken. You must be getting mixed up.

He's just as bad as some ultra-liberal TV hosts. What Hannity does is back a guy in a corner from the get-go without yelling or screaming. Sometimes it gets heated from there, but he never claims that someone was irate on his show. It is always that HE made someone irate on his show. That much I can kinda dig.

Sometimes I question his motives. Of course he is an ultra-conservative. However, I doubt sometimes how many of the views he espouses he actually believes in and heeds. Same for O'Reilly and Rush, yet I have heard both of them mutter from time to time that they don't practice what they preach 100% of the time.

Yes he is opinionated and that is what he is paid for. Same with Franken, Jennings, Rather and every major reporter from CNN.

However, I would rather opinions be left out of REPORTING, yet fair game for forum shows, talk shows and talk radio.

Shonyx, Destino. I am not Henry or Om, but I trust you're done now? The last posts were ok, but let's try to avoid the name calling please. This is in fact one of the major problems being targeted in Tailgate as I am sure you both are aware. And no. I don't think anyone really cares who started it.

Archived