Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Perfect Trade

I know its kinda late in the offseason and the team is starting to develop some chemistry together, but I have developed the perfect trade to help both teams.

Chris Samuels for Olygente and a 2nd or 3rd.

The Dolphins could REALLY use Samuels since they've got a second year mediocre guy in there right now. Wade Smith would probably be better as a backup anyway. They're going to want to get something for Olygente instead of him sitting out and leaving next year.

Then on our side, we were hearing all the stuff about Samuels not wanting an extension. Then when he went down, somebody came and did a pretty nice job filling in. Plus we drafted two nice tackles this year. That leads to a lot of players at the tackle position. SO if we're overstocked, why not use it to our advantage.

Olygente may not solve our defensive line problems, but I think he is certainly better than anybody we've got now. Plus he has a pass rush ability that we haven't seen since Ken Harvey. I mean thats a nice feature that we're direly missing.

Then getting a second or third would allow us to kinda recover the pick we lost on Brunell.

I see no losses for either team.

I would take that in a hearbeat, but it's not going to happen. If anything, Miami will end up with one of our picks, not the other way around...

And just something to think about.... we have already lost our 2nd (Cooley) and 5th (Thrash) round in 05... does everyone really think it's smart to offer your number 1 pick, which the WT reports, leaving you with only 4 lower round picks in 05 before the 04 season has even started???????

Originally posted by blakman211

I know its kinda late in the offseason and the team is starting to develop some chemistry together, but I have developed the perfect trade to help both teams.

Chris Samuels for Olygente and a 2nd or 3rd.

Who the hell is this "Olygente" guy?

Sounds like a type of cod.

BD

Originally posted by jwebst1

I

And just something to think about.... we have already lost our 2nd (Cooley) and 5th (Thrash) round in 05... does everyone really think it's smart to offer your number 1 pick, which the WT reports, leaving you with only 4 lower round picks in 05 before the 04 season has even started???????

with gibbs in charge or the picks. i see no problem in relying on late picks. besides. if we were to make this trade, a first rounder would be a wast of a pick for us next year. where would he start? we would be loaded across the board and have a first rounder on the bench.

Originally posted by SkinsandTerps

Would be nice. Except. The Redskins would take a cap hit for Both players because Ogunleye would need a new contract.

Nice thought though.

What's remaining on Samuels' signing bonus? That's the big factor for any trade involving him. Adding Ogunleye would probably negate (and then some) any benefit to getting Samuels' cap charge down unless he wants to extend his contract.

He knows better than to do that right now, though, because I'm sure he and his agent feel they have no leverage in negotiations because of the drop-off in his play.

Nick

It's hard to say that a first round pick in 05 would already end up on the bench before the start of this season..... what if someone gets hurt this year... for example, Shawn Springs, who is prone to injury. And I can already, before the start of this season, think of more than one position that the Skins need additional help in... DE, SS, another DT even if they got Ogunleye, C or Guard...

I'm a fan of keeping our homegrown players onboard. As a GM it wouldn't be smart to trade away a player that still managed pro bowl numbers though he was injured for 1/3 of the season for a good up and coming player that the league widely regards as having success due to the fact that he has a pro bowl player playing opposite him.

Originally posted by jwebst1

I would take that in a hearbeat, but it's not going to happen. If anything, Miami will end up with one of our picks, not the other way around...

If giving up your 1st for Coles makes sense to you then this should make more sense because you get a year of play out of Ogun before you give up the pick. That diminishes the value of the pick you're giving up and is why you had to give up a 2005 second to get a 2004 3rd so you could draft Cooley. Also you gave up pick #12 or #13 for Coles and with Gibbs and Ogun the thinking would be the pick you would have to give up for Ogun would come much later in the round when draftees are far from a sure thing.

My guess is that just a 1st wouldn't get him. I think it would have to be a 1st and a 4th at least.

Originally posted by ntotoro

What's remaining on Samuels' signing bonus? That's the big factor for any trade involving him. Adding Ogunleye would probably negate (and then some) any benefit to getting Samuels' cap charge down unless he wants to extend his contract.

He knows better than to do that right now, though, because I'm sure he and his agent feel they have no leverage in negotiations because of the drop-off in his play.

Nick

If Samuels were traded you wouldn't lose any 04 cap space and you wouldn't gain any 04 cap space because the amount of the salary and roster bonus he wouldn't receive is about the same [6M] as the future prorated signing bonus that would be accelerated into the 04 cap. Unlike cutting a player after 6/1 if you trade a player before or after 6/1 his remaining SB proration goes against the current year's cap.

Originally posted by Pocono

If Samuels were traded you wouldn't lose any 04 cap space and you wouldn't gain any 04 cap space because the amount of the salary and roster bonus he wouldn't receive is about the same [6M] as the future prorated signing bonus that would be accelerated into the 04 cap. Unlike cutting a player after 6/1 if you trade a player before or after 6/1 his remaining SB proration goes against the current year's cap.

Good point I forgot about that.

I think the Redskins only owe him about 2 million though. Not sure though.

Must be a little savings no ?

Originally posted by SkinsandTerps

Good point I forgot about that.

I think the Redskins only owe him about 2 million though. Not sure though.

Must be a little savings no ?

Nope....It's a net lose of 46K of 04 cap space because his salary and roster bomus equal 5.818M while his 05+06 proration equal 5.864M.

http://redskins.theinsiders.com/3/salary_cap_chart.html

He is not saying we give them a pick he is saying they give us a pick. No way in hel we would give them Samuels AND a pick. Just like the broncos took one of our picks we would take theirs because of the disagreement. Anyways I don't like the idea, I don't think we should give up Samuels no way. He's gonna be a great dirtbag. Screw Ogunleye we will get a good DE in next years draft if needed.

We draft and develop a helluva good O-lineman (actually 2) and you just wanna trade 'em away? I don't think so. Draft picks maybe, a receiver, maybe but Samuels... I vote NO. I would like to see Ogelvy or whatever his name is in B&G but don't think its gonna happen without draft picks and a huge signing bonus.

How about no on trading Samuals. Under Bugel, I believe he's going to be a great tackle. Plus, he's a much better run blocking, physical tackle. Let's just give the Redskins another season to build. Next year, the Redskins answer with defense, and Olygente will probably be an unrestricted free agent, if no deal is done.

Why does everyone want to get rid of our top guys for anyone. Let's see how William's system works.

Originally posted by Symbol

How about no on trading Samuals. Under Bugel, I believe he's going to be a great tackle. Plus, he's a much better run blocking, physical tackle. Let's just give the Redskins another season to build. Next year, the Redskins answer with defense, and Olygente will probably be an unrestricted free agent, if no deal is done.

Why does everyone want to get rid of our top guys for anyone. Let's see how William's system works.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

I got an email from Olygente the other day. Seems there was a recent coup in his nation and he needed my help in funnelling his family's fortune through my bank account.

Funniest shiznit I have heard all week!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Posted by blakman211:

Olygente may not solve our defensive line problems, but I think he is certainly better than anybody we've got now. Plus he has a pass rush ability that we haven't seen since Ken Harvey. I mean thats a nice feature that we're direly missing.

Olygente is a DE.

Harvey was a LB. I feel that with the addition of Washington and Barrows, with Barrows calling the D matchups, we will have an excellent pass rush from our LB corps.

LaVar will go back to WLB where he will wreak havoc ala another #56:cool:

Archived