• Luol Deng
    • Dwight Howard
    • Josh Childress
    • Shaun Livingston
    • Devin Harris
    • They will trade
    • Other

Originally posted by dannyboy70

...I think a special award should go to best singing bassist. Geddy would easily get my vote. I mentioned Mark King (Level 42) in a previous post for this same reason.

When did Geddy Lee learn how to sing?

Originally posted by joe

I'm old school. John Entwistle from the Who led the pack when it came to bass riffs. Then there was Cream's Jack Bruce, who was actually a classically trained cellist.

Both excellent choices. If you like these guys, I bet you'd like Andy Fraser of Free as well. (Like Bruce, Fraser started off with John Mayall and then moved on to better things.) Try getting a hold of the song Mr. Big by Free for a good example of his work.

I'll admit that Geddy Lee's voice does grow old to me after awhile but i can't badmouth such a badass bassist.

I can't believe Claypool can sing overtop the amazing bass lines he writes. Claypool, in my book, is the best bassist ever (for obvious reasons.) This guy isn't human.

McCartney is one hell-of-a songwriter.

Believe it or not it is actually harder to sing while playing the bass then it is to sing while strumming a 6 string. So anyone who does this gets a pat on the back from me.

Originally posted by Arsenic

I'll admit that Geddy Lee's voice does grow old to me after awhile but i can't badmouth such a badass bassist.

I can't believe Claypool can sing overtop the amazing bass lines he writes. Claypool, in my book, is the best bassist ever (for obvious reasons.) This guy isn't human.

McCartney is one hell-of-a songwriter.

Believe it or not it is actually harder to sing while playing the bass then it is to sing while strumming a 6 string. So anyone who does this gets a pat on the back from me.

Claypool was my pick as well. The stuff he does is inhuman, and unmatched.

Originally posted by Arsenic

I have to go with Les Claypool. The things he does are just unreal. As a bassist, i'll also say that Paul McCartney has been a huge inspiration. Everyone has there own style, though. All the names metioned are good. I think ya left out Geddy Lee, however.

I am with you on Les Claypool, I was finding it hard to believe that I had to go half way thru the thread to find his name. All i can say is the man is unbelieveable, and if you ever get a chance to go see Primus live do it.

Please forgive if this idea has been previously stated, but as much as I can admit that Primus and Rush are showcases of technically proficient bass playing, they are NOT (in my opinion) showcases of good songs..... I hear Rush, and I say, "wow, these guys can play." But the songs don't do anything for me (except for that Red Barchetta song, which is pretty cool). I think the best bassists are the ones who can fill out a song, give it some balls, but not get in the way of the guitars. so i say, paul mccartney, or whoever played bass for the clash (was that paul simonon, or was he the drummer?).

Originally posted by clubisyohankovic

Please forgive if this idea has been previously stated, but as much as I can admit that Primus and Rush are showcases of technically proficient bass playing, they are NOT (in my opinion) showcases of good songs..... I hear Rush, and I say, "wow, these guys can play." But the songs don't do anything for me (except for that Red Barchetta song, which is pretty cool). I think the best bassists are the ones who can fill out a song, give it some balls, but not get in the way of the guitars. so i say, paul mccartney, or whoever played bass for the clash (was that paul simonon, or was he the drummer?).

not get in the way of the guitar? that's what makes les claypool the man. others are just complimenting the band, while les claypool is the band.

Jazz - Stanley Clarke (plays every type of bass available virtuoso with Classic Bass also1) - ( Compliments sessions with - George Duke, Chick Corea, Deodato

Funk - Bootsy! Yeah Baby

Rythm and Blues - Verdine White (Earth Wind Fire)

Rock - John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin http://www.ledzeppelin.com/site_flash/fs_home.html

I removed Ron Carter, he was the drummer in the collaborations I mentioned.

Originally posted by semiskin

Three pages in this thread and no mention of Flea. What's going here? That guy is the man. Not only is he an amazing musician but he is equally a great performer.

Jean Paul Jones of Zeppeling was pretty good too.

Dude, I mentioned Flea in the very first post! :) I'll share your vote on JPJ, too.

Canadian Hog, I like U2...but there isn't a song where the root note isn't good enough for Adam Clayton.

Archived