Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All bias aside, can we beat Dallas?

This question has been messin' with me all summer. I see every year we "improve" Even last year I believed we could win. And the year before that...ect.....I may not see A SB win within the next 5 years but I hope we will see a streak over Dallas in our favor. Come on remeber this B.S.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20031214_DAL@WAS

What the H*LL happened.....I know timmy was Q' but the only highlight was ohalete cathing that pass...

Maybe I'm just venting.....But does anyone here think we WILL beat dallas within the next 3 years....

It seems like they always suck BUT always win......

Honestly Dallas is going to get progressivly better under parcells....I just hope this CAP thing comin' up doesn't hold us back......

:puke:

parcells will definitely have his boys up but Coach Gibbs knows how to prepare his team for a big game. they won't be able to blitz like they did last year and I don't see their offense getting any better. It will be tough but we will certainly to be the favorite at home.

one thing i noticed with the NFL is there is always an equal chance to beat any team, no matter what. The Bungles or Browns, not sure, highly underrated in that week beat the then undefeated Chiefs sometime mid season. I understand some teams have a knack for winning. Honestly, we do have a better team in place, driven by a will to work and win now, not last years team where players folded by halftime save for a few veterans like Armstead.

I feel luck has a lot to do with it, luck, challenges, referee moods, a lot of small factors can play in. Id say the cowboys we'll be 1-1, one decisive win and one barely loss.

With Gibbs back in DC, I do suspect the Dallas domination will come to an end. The results should be fairly balanced as long as Gibbs and Parcells are at the helm. Its been fun. But I think with Gibbs, the slate will be wiped clean.

Spurrier beat Dallas. That ENDED the long streak period. I don't care if it was against Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, or Dave Campo! Dallas lost a game that ended their 10 game run on us. Parcells has a 2-0 streak, so what!

Why can't we beat Dallas? Say what?

We Will beat Dallas.

Can we beat them? Of course. The Skins have much more talent than the Cowpokes.

Just like we have the last 5 years.

But yes, we will. And no, other than the division factor it won't mean much. Its not like the road to the SB will go thru Dallas.

Originally posted by Skyward72

Of course we can, I felt Dallas didn't do anything to improve their team in the offseason. Better coaching on the Skins will make the difference.

AGREED!

Gibbs is the master of the halftime adjustments!

That is half the battle!

We have fielded a more talented set of players over the past 5 years, but Dallas has fielded a better team ... more unity, focus, and heart when we have faced them. That is why it was so excruciating watching those games.

Parcells owns Gibbs in face to face competition, but he really got far against Gibbs when he was with Bellicheck. It will be interesting to see how he does with out the other Bill. Additionally, he doesn't have a QB nearly as good as Simms, or a LB corps nearly as good as LT, Banks, and the rest. Also, Dallas doesn't have a RB nearly as good as Joe Morris was at us. Finally, he doesn't have a Mark Bavaro.

Parcells does have his team overachieving and playing like a team (aside from his WR's right now). Their defense is playing amazing ball considering who they have on the roster.

Gibbs will have the Skins focused and ready for blood. I look for them to split this year and hopfully for us to sweep next year, but that is the hopeful fan in me saying this. I am a big fan of giving respect to the champ until you prove them different. Yes, we beat Dallas 2 years ago in a game that was useless to both teams, and Campo already knew he was fired, so his team came out looking flat just the same as the second Giants game with us last year. That was not the normal Dallas team we face, so for competition purposes, I throw that one out. Gibbs must beat them for us to say that we have the Silver and Blue monkey off our backs.

Gotta go with RFDC on this one. If Spurrier can beat Dallas then Gibbs most certainly can!

Tubo'Breasts without L.T. vs Gibbs is an even match strategy wise. WIll be fun to watch for the next few years. Then again Dallas games are always interesting (like last year when we had 4 first half turnovers. knew that was a blowout against us in the making:( )

Honestly, you get 4 turnovers and are only up 3-0.. Anyway best not to live in the past, unless that past involves J. Gibbs:)

Originally posted by KINGBRICE_28

This question has been messin' with me all summer. I see every year we "improve" Even last year I believed we could win. And the year before that...ect.....I may not see A SB win within the next 5 years but I hope we will see a streak over Dallas in our favor. Come on remeber this B.S.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/live/NFL_20031214_DAL@WAS

What the H*LL happened.....I know timmy was Q' but the only highlight was ohalete cathing that pass...

Maybe I'm just venting.....But does anyone here think we WILL beat dallas within the next 3 years....

It seems like they always suck BUT always win......

Honestly Dallas is going to get progressivly better under parcells....I just hope this CAP thing comin' up doesn't hold us back......

:puke:

The moment Spurrier left and was replaced by Gibbs our chances against Dallas changed in a positive fashion. Not just because Gibbs is a better coach, but because the combination of Gibbs and Williams suddenly turn us into a team that fits well against Dallas and what the Cowboys have been able to do to us in recent years.

Under Norv we were an arrogant bend but don't break defense that was predicated on the thought that teams would tire of running it down our throats and going on 15-play drives and would instead take chances and make mistakes. When teams dedicated themselves to running the ball against us, we were doomed and Dallas was among the best at doing that against us. Under Spurrier we ran both an offensive system that was not well suited to handle the style of defense Dallas ran last year and a defensive system that also was not good for the type of offfense Dallas ran.

Now at least we project to run systems on both sides of the ball that will give Dallas trouble. On offense we will protect the QB and run the ball a bit more. Or so we expect. This will help us against heavy pressure from Dallas. Perhaps even forcing Dallas into more traditional defensive looks which helps us. Defensively we will attack more. This doesn't mean blitz more all the time. It merely means we will play something on every down. We will care a little less about what they are doing and focus on what we are doing. This will take certain things away from the Cowboys and force them to win in ways they may not be as comfortable.

Whether we'll win or not against the Cowboys right away is an open question. But there is little doubt we match up better from an overall system standpoint than we have for some time. And this should really help us.

While we should be more competitive against the Cowboys this year, there is no guarantee that they won't sweep us YET again (of course.)

One way to begin being more competitive with them is by doing it on a play-by-play basis. Everytime we play Dallas it seems that by the third quarter it starts to turn into a "bodybag game." By this I mean that they beat us into submission. The Redskins must really play some "smashmouth" ball w/ the Cowboys. I know that this isn't good "Xs and Os" talk, but playcalling is not the only way to win a game. Everybody knows that Norv Turner was a better play caller than Dave Campo, but he never got his team motivated to really BEAT the Cowboys mentally AND physically. Dallas has been able to force their will upon Washington for years now and it's time to change that by inciting, igniting, fighting, and biting.

We have already proven that having more talent than them doesn't do ANYTHING for us. It's about confidence and anger.

I did not until recently expect us to win the first meeting at FedEx Field because of their cohesiveness. However, now that Hambrick has been shipped out and Vinny Testeverde is muddying the QB waters down there, they may not be "together" as a unit, aiding our chances.

:point2sky

Look at the play-by-play of that game to start the 4th Q...

Fourth Quarter

Dallas Cowboys continued...

1-10-WAS41 (15:00) T.Hambrick left guard to WAS 40 for 1 yard (I.Ohalete).

2-9-WAS40 (14:20) T.Hambrick up the middle to WAS 32 for 8 yards (M.Bowen).

3-1-WAS32 (13:41) T.Hambrick left end to WAS 20 for 12 yards (T.Franz).

1-10-WAS20 (12:55) T.Hambrick right end to WAS 14 for 6 yards (C.Bailey).

2-4-WAS14 (12:12) T.Hambrick up the middle to WAS 13 for 1 yard (I.Ohalete).

3-3-WAS13 (11:25) T.Hambrick right end to WAS 10 for 3 yards (I.Ohalete, J.Trotter).

1-10-WAS10 (10:54) T.Hambrick left guard to WAS 3 for 7 yards (M.Bowen).

2-3-WAS3 (10:13) T.Hambrick up the middle to WAS 2 for 1 yard (J.Trotter).

we're gonna run the ball 1st of all.

if our skins can do that successfully vs. a very active dallas D, and if our D can keep whatever running back dallas puts out there from looking like a hall of famer, we should be in good shape.

Another plus the team has is Gibbs understanding and having a true passion for disliking Dallas.

Alot of other Coaches like Norv,Shottenheimer and Spurrier didn't. Those guys bought into the hype that came with coaching the Redskins. Joe Gibbs lived and coached in the era that made Dallas/Redskins football games what they are as today, serious.

Remember how Emmitt Smith would practically dismantle the Redksins off shear passion alone? He understood the importance and played in the era where Redksin/Cowboys games were made. He would motivate the entire Cowboy team to what it meant to beat the redskins and to have a passion to hate us when playing the game.

Well, it's the same with Coach Gibbs. he will motivate these players and tell stories of how it used to be and what it should always be when playing these guys. Sh!t, he lived it, ate it, and slept it. And has a general and personal passion for disliking the Boys.

It's gonna be fun and painful football my friend.

I hope Dallas loads the line and Blitz this yr. like they did last yr. They'll get that tass handed to them. Spurrier tried leaving people in as the yr. went on but they weren't good at it because they didn't get the reps in training camp. Gibbs believes in aiding the QB. Running the ball and leaving in an extra blocker.

Originally posted by flashback

Fourth Quarter

3-3-WAS13 (11:25) T.Hambrick right end to WAS 10 for 3 yards (I.Ohalete, J.Trotter).

flashback-

:doh: I have not forgotten. What a demoralizing game. And this is what I mean. by the time that posession started, we were already a beaten bunch. As soon as Dallas gets pumped up, we go "deer-in-the-headlights." And if they SHOW UP pumped? Forget it.

Anger and execution. We gotta get mad, play well, and stay mad. Once again, not real "Xs and Os" talk, but it's the key IMHO.

Also- Yes I remember how Emmit KNEW they were gonna kill us before the opening kickoff. He beat us all by himself SO many times.

Originally posted by flashback

Fourth Quarter

Look at who was making the tackles in most of those plays.

Ouch. If that doesnt prove that it all starts up front, I dont know what does.

Archived