Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I've viewed some games with Bears & Phillip Daniels...

flexxskins

needless to say, the Redskins, in my humble opinion are in trouble once again up front defensively. Did the skins even consider Ted Washington or Warren Sapp? I think the team is in pretty good shape otherwise but I wish we could just somehow find a unexpected, suddenly released, cap casualty DE/DT out there somewhere. Or are the skins even in the market anymore?

Originally posted by flexxskins

needless to say, the Redskins, in my humble opinion are in trouble once again up front defensively. Did the skins even consider Ted Washington or Warren Sapp? I think the team is in pretty good shape otherwise but I wish we could just somehow find a unexpected, suddenly released, cap casualty DE/DT out there somewhere. Or are the skins even in the market anymore?

That bad hugh?

He was hand-picked by DL Coach Greg Blache - who coached him in Chicago. Daniels is a worker, blue collar guy - and is the type of personality Gibbs et al is looking for. He is not a pass rushing DE - he is a solid run stopper, though. I think the skins have resigned themselves to creating whatever pass rush they can through Arrington and Washington.

I agree. One player is going to completely RUIN our WHOLE line up front. :doh:

I'm not saying our group is going to be great, but you need to take into consideration the whole DL unit and coaching, not just one person.

Oh yeah, welcome to ExtremeSkins!

Originally posted by Heavy Jumbo

I agree. One player is going to completely RUIN our WHOLE line up front. :doh:

I don't think that was the point of his original post. The point was that the whole unit doesn't have one guy that can really do anything exceptional. The whole unit will be marginal at best, the whole "line up front" just isn't very good.

I am not a big fan of our DL. It has been our weakness for a while. But I do have some hope for improvement this year for several reasons.

We do have a slight upgrade in DT and DE. Griffin and Noble have to be better than the people we put out there last year. DE's improve with the disappearance of Smith. His selfish attitude was a cancer for the whole team. Daniels is an improvement over Smith, and Upshaw could improve without the politics of Smith and his sack record. (By the way, which year(s) were watching of Daniels. I understand he had a poor year last year, maybe due to injuries. He might bounce back this year.)

Better coaching as far as schemes, motivation and discipline will improve play.

Better offensive clock management will keep the D on the sideline longer.

Having said that, I hope we can improve our DL personnel. My biggest concern is depth at DT. Most things I have read have put Griffin and Noble as our starters. I do not expect either to be spectacular, but both can be steady performers. But, Noble's knee scares me. Do we have anybody who can step up if Noble gets hurt? I think Haley is a capable backup and provides good depth at the DT position. He just does not seem to be an every down type of player. I know nothing about the rest of the DT's. Maybe one of them will surprise us this year.

I know everyone wants a pass rushing DE. I just don't believe there is one out there for us this year. (Maybe next year)

So to conclude my rambling reply, I think our DL will be better than many think (though still a source of concern) and our best bet to improve is to go after a depth DT.

Originally posted by fish

I don't think that was the point of his original post. The point was that the whole unit doesn't have one guy that can really do anything exceptional.

The title of his thread is pretty misleading. By saying that "I've viewed some games with Bears and Phillip Daniels..." and then saying "needless to say, the Redskins, in my humble opinion are in trouble once again up front defensively." makes it seem that he is talking about the impact that Daniels will have, not any other player or the unit. We don't have any impact players on our line as of now, but with the coaching staff that we have they will be able to make them work well as a unit, not just individual players.

Originally posted by fish

I don't think that was the point of his original post. The point was that the whole unit doesn't have one guy that can really do anything exceptional. The whole unit will be marginal at best, the whole "line up front" just isn't very good.

Exactly.

We have a bunch of secondary depth guys who are starting. We have a problem (as usual) on the D-line.

Don't get me wrong, I think that we have the best coaching staff in the league. However, I am a bit worried that we are expecting them to do the impossable in a rediculous amount of time. We are asking them to take one of the worst D-line in the league, and make it an average line with great coaching. I don't know if thats fair to the coaches. In every other postition we have good solid depth, and great talent, except the D-line. We needed to address this problem two years ago, and we have yet to do it. I don't think that there will be anyone out there who can help us this year.

Originally posted by illone

rodrique wright - texas

dan cody - OK

marcus spears - LSU

dave pollak - GA

Keep an eye on these guys for the 2005 draft... I'd love to pick up Wright.

It will be tough to get an impact D-Lineman in the draft when we are drafting 32nd:cool:

We will be drafting in the middle of the pack next year and any impact D-lineman will be long gone so we missed our opportunity to draft some good D-lineman (Wilfolk or Udeze) this year.

Then we'll here the same story we heard this year, "THERE ARE NO D-LINEMAN WORTH OUR PICK." Same stuff we've been hearing for a decade now. :rolleyes: :doh:

Originally posted by jbooma

I am glad YOU are the coaches making the decisions :doh:

A little harsh don't you think, jbooma? The guy was just listing some players he thought would be good to keep an eye on, and saying that he wishes we would get his favorite. Hell, I was hopeing for Sean Taylor, and I'm far form being an NFL coach. (In fact, I just turned down the head coaching job at the middle school I teach at. I'm happy with being an asst. I don't think that I'm ready to be a head coach even at this level. IT wouldn't be fair to the kids).

I think that some people are getting a little to worked up here lately. We all need to just take a deep breath, and remember were ALL Redskins fans here, and we all want them to win.

Hail to the Redskins....

Originally posted by Old Glory

We will be drafting in the middle of the pack next year and any impact D-lineman will be long gone so we missed our opportunity to draft some good D-lineman (Wilfolk or Udeze) this year.

Then we'll here the same story we heard this year, "THERE ARE NO D-LINEMAN WORTH OUR PICK." Same stuff we've been hearing for a decade now. :rolleyes: :doh:

I wouldn't be so sure of this. First, remember Wilfolk and Udeze didn't go until the middle of the 1st rd this year, and next year the D-line class should be much deeper. Besides, what if we had taken either of those guys and they were to bust (one of them probably will) then we would be really screwed. Remember we can get a good quality D-linemen in the 3rd rd next year if we have to. (we gave up our 2nd rd next year so we could get Cooley this year)

There are many factors that go into making a defensive line good or bad. I know it doesn't look like we have a lot of "talent" on ours but I have to believe that Gibbs, Williams and Blache would have drafted a stud d-lineman if they saw our team as needing one so badly. This team is in "win now" mode and would not leave such a "gaping hole" in the squad unless it were in a "rebuilding" mode. Cornelius Griffin and Phillip Daniels aren't exactly Reggie White or Deacon Jones, but they ARE an upgrade. Regan Upshaw will get more playing time now that Bruce Smith is gone and I think that will be an upgrade in strength and run-stop. With an improved safety corps and most of all, good coaching (thank god) we can be a good defense despite a blue-collar defensive line.

And what the hell is wrong with "blue-collar" anyway?

Originally posted by jrfriedm

A little harsh don't you think, jbooma?

No, everyone on this board has said this line will stink, but guess what we have never seen them play with this coaching staff. At least lets give them a chance.

Remember some of Gibb's is best DL's were with players many didn't know at the time.

Didn't Daniels admit that the he was asked to do more read and recognize than the years his sack numbers were up and they had an attacking..ballhawking defense. I believe he wasn't allowed to pin his ears back the last few years.

I'm interested to see the unit, Wynn/Griffin/Noble/Daniels work together and gel into a solid unit. Add Haley, Salaveaa, and Upshaw to the mix and we might still have a solid unit.

I'd still like to see them take a look at Marcus Bell of Arizona, 6'2 229lbs. and 25 years old sounds enticing.

Archived