Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Postons at it again

MAATopDogg

POSTONS MISJUDGED MARKET FOR T-BUCK?

Word around the league is that veteran cornerback Terrell Buckley will signing a one-year deal with the Patriots soon. It's a move that, as one league insider opined, represents another failure by agents Carl and Kevin Poston to properly gauge the market for one of their players.

Buckley spent 2001 and 2002 with the Patriots before re-joining the Dolphins for 2003. Previously, T-Buck spent five seasons with the Fins, from 1995 through 1999.

Per a league source, the Dolphins were serious about bringing Buckley back, but they were willing to offer only a one-year deal for the veteran minimum of $760,000. This specific device, which was adopted a couple of years ago, caps the cost of such contracts at $450,000.

But Buckley, through the Postons, wanted more. Miami held firm, signing Reggie Howard and drafting Will Poole.

And if Buckley thought there still was a chance to stay in Miami after the draft, the decision of the team to issue his number to Poole likely cemented his status.

So the end result is that Buckley will be forced to leave Miami, where he lives and where he wanted to play, for the same dollars that he turned down. A less obvious factor in all of this is that Buckley's $760,000 salary would have been exempt from state income tax in Florida.

"It's the same thing as with Ian Gold," a league source said. "The Postons overestimated their guy's value, and their client got burned."

Honestly, I don't see a reason why the Postons should be decertified. It's up to the players to smarten up and not choose those gungho type slimeballs that promise them the sky.

Nobody is at fault here other than the players themselves.

Nobody is at fault but the players, agreeable, but they might find it hard to find another agent, and the Postons are known to fight hard for money. I just hope now more players will stop choosing them and go with other people. Agents have great influence over players, and Buckley may have wanted to initially accept Miami's offer and hte Postons told him to hold out, and he believed them. The agents are at fault as well as the players.

Originally posted by laurent

Honestly, I don't see a reason why the Postons should be decertified. It's up to the players to smarten up and not choose those gungho type slimeballs that promise them the sky.

Nobody is at fault here other than the players themselves.

Technically you're right, but I don't agree with you. There is an element here of conflict of interests. The Postons have a track record of failing their clients; however, clients seem to swear by the Postons. That disconnect leads me to believe that the Postons are negligent, but are somehow sweet-talking their clients into sticking with them. That's a problem. Remember, football players are almost never schooled in business or finance. They may not be capable of making the right decision, which is to ditch the Postons and hire different representation. Therefore, in my opinion the league should act on the players' behalf.

does anybody here know who Sean Taylor has signed with? NDave said it wasn't with Carl and Jerome (or whatever their names are).... i haven't seen any other word on the situation!

and boo-yah! i just made franchise player! watch your heels navy dave!

The whole point of paying an agent is so that you DONT get f'ed over. Thats all an "agent" is, someone who acts on your behalf.

The whole point of the NFLPA is to protect the interests of the players, so the Postons absolutely should be scrutinized and possibly have measures taken against them for not doing their jobs properly, to the detriment of their client.

What do you think the chances are the Postons said "Hey sorry, T-buck, tell you what, just forget about giving us our cut, since we messed up so bad" Not likely.

Man it's funny how folks always put the blame on the agents like the players are in pre-school or something. Sure there are some who may not be that smart or schooled in certain areas but the bottom line is the agent works for the player. They do what the player wants them to do. They are the voice of the player. The agent can't do anything the player doesn't want them to do. Players aren't as dumb as folks make them out to be.

Clearly players think the Poston's are good or they wouldn't keep signing with them. And with salaries not being guaranteed, of course they're going to going beyond for their players. The teams sure aren't going to look out for whats best for a player. If they had it their way they wouldn't pay players anything. Regardless of what happens, ultimately it's the players call.

Originally posted by Avg Joe

Man it's funny how folks always put the blame on the agents like the players are in pre-school or something. Sure there are some who may not be that smart or schooled in certain areas but the bottom line is the agent works for the player. They do what the player wants them to do. They are the voice of the player. The agent can't do anything the player doesn't want them to do. Players aren't as dumb as folks make them out to be.

Clearly players think the Poston's are good or they wouldn't keep signing with them. And with salaries not being guaranteed, of course they're going to going beyond for their players. The teams sure aren't going to look out for whats best for a player. If they had it their way they wouldn't pay players anything. Regardless of what happens, ultimately it's the players call.

Avg Joe, that is not completely correct. The player often makes a decision based on his agent's advice. I guarantee you that the player does not always say, "Hey, Agent, I want this, get it." More often, it's likely the agent saying, "Hey, Player, you deserve this, should I go get it?" Or "The market for a linebacker of your caliber is this, should I get it for you?"

Of course there is some responsibility that falls on the players' shoulders. I'm sure that the player gives the ultimate "yea" or "nay." But from the Postons' track record, I am willing to bet that there's some wrong information and/or negligent advice being passed from Agent to Client. Since the player is acting on the Postons' recommendation as advisors, the Postons are to be blamed as well.

I knew these two fools were doomed a few years back when Shawn Springs and orlando Pace where at Ohio State, I was there to watch the PSU / OSU game, after the game I headed down to the Tunnel for the PSU players. Brother Carl asked me to introduce him to Wally Richardson, I'm like who??? all I could do was laugh....

Originally posted by TheDane

Avg Joe, that is not completely correct. The player often makes a decision based on his agent's advice. I guarantee you that the player does not always say, "Hey, Agent, I want this, get it." More often, it's likely the agent saying, "Hey, Player, you deserve this, should I go get it?" Or "The market for a linebacker of your caliber is this, should I get it for you?"

I think the reason players sign with these guys in the first place is that the Postons promise them more than they can deliver.

Carl P: "Rosenhaus said he'd only get you $750k? I'll get you $2.2 mil"

Buckley: "Sounds good, sign me up"

Then when they dont make good on that promise, T-Buck suffers while Carl and Kevin just go worry about getting paid off of KW2's contract and their other 50 clients.

Buckley: "You ****s only got me the league minimum AND I have to move to BOSTON instead of staying in MIAMI? Its god d*mn freezing up there. "

Receptionist: "Im sorry Mr. Buckley, Carl is in a meeting with Mr. Arrington. Ill have him call you back, uh, later" CLICK!.

:violin: In the end, its the players fault for not picking a better employee.

Archived