Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colonial Williamsberg??????

Pete

I agree, Williamsburg gets old quick, there's not a ton to do other that see some really old stuff. I guess I'm unimpressed for the most part because I live very close, but there are other things to see.

You can go to Jamestown, the Yorktown battlefields, Busch Gardens is really cool, Watercountry is also really cool, there is Kings Dominion which is on the way to DC as well.

Pete, I'm not sure I agree with the idea that just an afternoon at W'burg will glaze your eyes over. All about the individual. If you're into our history at all, into trying to get a feel of it as best you can ... for it's admittedly touristy underpinnings, it's still the only living museum of colonial history we have. I've been twice, spent a full day both times, and loved it.

Don't overlook Jamestown, either. Short drive (30-45 mins, if memory serves) away, lots to see.

Then, if you're totally overdosing on culture/history, slide on over to the Gardens and hit Oktoberfest. :)

Pete, I live in the area and I still enjoy Williamsburg. Like OM mentioned, if you like history you'll enjoy the visit. For kids, you should do Busch Gardens.

There is a ton of things to see just short drive from Williamsburg.

Only minutes from Jamestown and Yorktown (if into history). Newport News and Hampton just a short drive away. You can be in Richmond after a 20-30 minute drive. Norfolk, Va Beach is 45 minutes away.

Ton of things to do in the area. Some cool places to eat in Williamsburg. My wife and I used to walk down Duke of Gloucester St (Historic area) and hit every Tavern. We would have an ale and an appetizer. This was a great way to spend

a Sunday afternoon.

Originally posted by PennState11

I agree it's nice to look around but get's old afters a while, you should definitly think about Water Country U.S.A or Busch Gardens

Or both. Take one day for Busche Gardens because it is incredibly spread out & requires a lot of walking. Do Water Country the next day & Colonial another day. To do the whole thing, I would take about 3 days to do it. Then go home & rest for about a week! :laugh:

I agree with OM... you could get lost in Williamsburg and spend 2 days there if it means something to you. I love the place... I've spent a weekend there. I went to a Sunday evening service at Bruton Church... the oldest church in the US with continued operations. I sat in the same pew Thomas Jefferson sat in, and Patrick Henry. That to me... is AWESOME.

Yorktown is a nice place. Nothing like seeing the town where Cornwallis was surrounded and surrendered. Especially the old houses with cannonballs from the revolutionary war stuck in the side of them.

Jamestown is terrific. They've done so much in the last decade, including finding the outer perimeters of the original settlement including the perimeter guard towers. Another place I could spend the day.

Bush Gardens and the water park are great... but five hours there and I've "seen that done that". Our American History I could spend weeks reliving.

Originally posted by Cskin

I agree with OM... you could get lost in Williamsburg and spend 2 days there if it means something to you. I love the place... I've spent a weekend there. I went to a Sunday evening service at Bruton Church... the oldest church in the US with continued operations. I sat in the same pew Thomas Jefferson sat in, and Patrick Henry. That to me... is AWESOME.

Yorktown is a nice place. Nothing like seeing the town where Cornwallis was surrounded and surrendered. Especially the old houses with cannonballs from the revolutionary war stuck in the side of them.

Jamestown is terrific. They've done so much in the last decade, including finding the outer perimeters of the original settlement including the perimeter guard towers. Another place I could spend the day.

Bush Gardens and the water park are great... but five hours there and I've "seen that done that". Our American History I could spend weeks reliving.

That sounds like a good idea. I might head over to Jamestown and Yorktown and check it out...

Pete, depending on your interest, in Hampton/Newport News you have Mariners Museum and the Air & Space Museum. In Norfolk at Nauticus is the battleship Wisconsin.

One word of advice...don't take your wife to the outlet shops in Williamsburg. She'll spend one day at the Pottery and another day at Berkley Commons :laugh:

Man oh man, that's what I love about the place. More solid info then I could hope for. Thanks a bunch to all.

I'm all about history, and love this stuff. My wife on the other hand................ Won't get to see any of the battle fields, but Jamestown is a great thought. I could do Williamsberg, Bush Gardens, Jamestown, and still get two solid days in DC.

Hope I can pull this one off. I work for one of those small shops with an owner who's living in the 40's. He shuts down for about a week, and that's when I'm expected to take my vacation. He shut down a week after my daughter was back to school last summer, which pizzed me off in a big way. He said either the first or last week of june, then switched the dates to the first week of july.

Nothing would make me happier then to be in DC on the 4th of July. Problem is, to get a kennell for my pooch that we know and trust for that week, we would have had booked about the begining of May:doh: I'm pretty fed up with this shop at this point.

My daughter graduated grammer school this week, and I promised her a special vacation this summer. Deans honor role for six years. Nothing but A's for 6 years.

I'm gonna see what dates I can get a kennell, and book my trip. If the boss man don't like it. Let him fire my arse. He's not killing my daughters summer, she's worked too hard.

:cheers:

I was in DC last year for July 4th. It was hot as h*ll, humid, and a bit drizzly over the weekend. I took mountain bikes for my girlfriend and I... and rode everywhere all weekend. Nothing like cruising the whole city on a bike, from monument to monument, while everyone else walked. The city was severely limited in it's car traffic due to security, so people were forced to hoof it from place to place. Having bikes made it a terrific weekend.

Im a history major, and id definitely go to see Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown, never been to Yorktown. I could prolly spend a day in williamsburg, and another day getting Jamestown and Yorktown, just the whole living history of the place, and I love old style towns and streets, hence why I like how Europe looks in places.

lived there for seven years and never really appreciated it until i left. did the whole "historic thing" with my girl before she moved back to poland and had a great time. i really liked the jamestown and yorktown stuff. i'm a big history buff....

plus, a ride down the Colonial sParkway (connects Jamestown and Yorktown...) on a nice day while stopping to read information signs is a good time.

bush gardens is pretty nice. great roller coasters and the brewery tour is interesting. i don't like waterparks, but Water Country USA is popular too.

take a stroll down D.O.G. St. too, the misses will enjoy the shopping, and you have to eat at the Cheese Shop. an old employer of mine, they make awesome sandwiches. my fav: smoked turkey and havarti on a basil foccacia roll with sprouts, watercress, and HOUSE DRESSING! or for a great snack go there and get the bread ends and dip it in the house dressing. a williamsburg staple. for a nicer meal: the Trellis. located in the heart of colonial w'burg. don't forget the "death by chocolate" dessert. it's world famous.

also, if you are a golfer you could spend a week there. they have an incredible amount of great courses.

have a great time. tell your daughter to keep up the hard work!

Hey Hobo, is pursuing studies in history a wise thing to do? I absolutely love History and would love to major in it..but I also hear the pay isn't too great in that field right now..im not sure what I want to major in college...and it scares the **** out of me.

Archived