Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where can I learn to become an electrician????

TheShow56

To anyone who knows, i am looking to become an electrician, i have a little bit of experience because i help my sisters boyfriend and hes an electrician, but i was wondering if anyone knew of any schools in southern maryland that will help train people to become electricians

Vo-tech schools and such. You will need to take a test for licensing. A lot of trade schools have placement programs. Typically, you probably have to "pay your dues" for the first couple years and work for peanuts, but that's one job where you're likely to have good job security.

As far as I know, you can simply study books and pass a written test to start the process. But, I've heard, in order to be fully licensed, you also have to serve an apprenticeship (slave labor) to somebody who has a license.

Don't know if it's still the same, but my dad got licensed in Fairfax Co, simply by reading a book and taking a test. They had a program where, if you could pass the same test that "real" electricians passed (for a residential license) then you could skip the aprenticeship, and recieve a license that allowed you to work on your own house.

Archived