Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Movie nobody had ever heard of...

thew

Guest 979guy
Originally posted by Liberty

979 guy you have some good taste, I am gonna try and watch the movies listed.

Thanks. Tell me how you liked them. I promise not to tell anyone how much you wept... :D

A few of mine:

Mystery, Alaska

The Frisco Kid

That Thing You Do

October Sky

Billy Elliott

Bleacher Bums

A Midnight Clear

When Trumpets Fade (A made for HBO movie about WW2. Suprisingly good.)

And for the record Life is Beautiful won Best Foreign Language Film, not best picture. If I remember correctly, that honor went to Shakespeare in Love :puke:

If you are into dark "bugged out movies then I suggest:

-KIDS (1995 critically acclaimed movie directed by well known photographer Larry Clark. Takes a look into the life of kids ages 14-18. Highly controversial, but important if you want to see what a generation such as my own lives like).

-Bully (A movie based on a true story of a sadistic bully who ends up being murdered by his "friends" b/c of years of absue...Also shows the true teen angst and drug infested lives of kids today).

-The Midnight Express (A graphic look at what its like inside a foreign jail).

-Go (another KIDS type movie but with well known actors and less of a "real" effect).

The aforementioned Requiem For A Dream (Incredible performances by the four main stars, Jared Leto, Hellen Burystn, Jennifer Conneley. Movie is based on a book about addiction over coming the human spirit. Very depressing but an unbelieveable movie. A lot of people believed it should have been up the for best picture instead of the movie Traffic that year).

Originally posted by Henry

And for the record Life is Beautiful won Best Foreign Language Film, not best picture. If I remember correctly, that honor went to Shakespeare in Love :puke:

I stand corrected. Benigni also won Best Actor for the role. Probably the only good thing he ever did (If you've ever seen any of his comedies, they are AWFUL! Only in "Night on Earth" was he ever funny...)

In America, small movie released in theaters last Decmber that went relatively unnoticed. Without a doubt the best movie of the year last year and I think it won 2 or three awards. It's about the plight of an immigrant family coming to new york in the mid 80s. If you see it play close attention to the symbolism behind ET. It just got released to DVD this week, rent it you won't regert it.

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/inamerica/

A Simple Plan (Bill Paxton, Bridget Fonda, Billy Bob Thornton) by Sam Raimi

Equilibrium (Christian Bale, Emily Watson) by Kurt Wimmer.

Punch Drunk Love (Adam Sandler, Emily Watson, Philip Seymour Hoffman) by Paul Thomas Anderson

25th Hour (Edward Norton, Barry Pepper, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Brian Cox) by Spike Lee

Adaptation (Nicholas Cage, Nicholas Cage, Meryl Streep, Chris Cooper) by Spike Jonze

Originally posted by Glenn X

Thief (1981)

To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)

Miracle Mile (1988)

The soundtrack to that stupid movie is stuck in my head to this day...

"to live and die in el-aaaay~"

"to live and die in el-aaaay~" argh!

thanks for refreshing the song into my conciousness, Glenn! :(

EDIT:

I don't think Boondock Saints counts as a movie that nobody's heard of... it's gotten a pretty good amount of attention.

Agree List:

Blood in, Blood out

In America

Disagree List:

Equilibrium: The movie was cheesefest. A bad cross between Minority Report and the Matrix.

ADD:

American Psycho

Dirty Work (Norm McDonald...!)

Originally posted by Symbol

That was a great movie.

How about Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins. It stars Fred Ward, Joel Grey, and Wilford Brimley. It also has the captain from Star Trek Voyager in it.

How can we forget the Hari Krishna finger murderer. . . :D

Originally posted by chosen

The soundtrack to that stupid movie is stuck in my head to this day...

"to live and die in el-aaaay~"

"to live and die in el-aaaay~" argh!

thanks for refreshing the song into my conciousness, Glenn! :(

You're most assuredly welcome, sir. I guess '80s synthpop isn't for everyone.

However, one thing you can't argue with is the sheer grandeur of director William Friedkin's down-the-wrong-way-on-the-freeway car chase scene about 2/3rds of the way through the film. To this day, I'm not sure that I've scene a better, more inventive, more expertly-staged car chase scene than that one.

Originally posted by chosen

ADD:

American Psycho

Agreed. Christian Bale was mesmerizing as the lead character, and director Mary Harron struck just the right balance between austerity and campiness.

The Jack Bull. A western with John Cusack about a man who wouldn't let him pass through his property to go to a horse auction... making him leave the horses at his stables as payment until he returns... only to return to see his horses worked almost to death by the man who owned the land and then wouldn't bring the horses back to health. Cusack takes revenge on the man because the law wouldn't help him in his fight. One of the best modern westerns out there.

Archived