Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Poll! Madden or ESPN

thats ok when my fellow (cough) espn gamers who work during the day come home (cough) we will dominate :laugh:

It is only the kids in college who can't afford both who truly don't understand the beauty of ESPN :laugh:

No sheeps allowed in this poll. It would only be fair to ask if you have tasted both games :silly:

I think that Madden will certainly win this poll due to it's reputation alone. Most people wouldn't even consider buying or thinking about anything else. I feel pity for them, because though both are great games...ESPN is slightly better.

Originally posted by skin_finatic

thanks for the critisim.:)

Didn't mean to offend. I'm not tryin to be a jerk, or the forum police. But there are at least 4 different threads goin on right now that are touchin on this subject. I'm a game geek as much as the next guy, but come on.

Originally posted by Morning Wood

Didn't mean to offend. I'm not tryin to be a jerk, or the forum police. But there are at least 4 different threads goin on right now that are touchin on this subject. I'm a game geek as much as the next guy, but come on.

morning it is may, the worst time for football fans, they are just having fun

trust me when the season starts up you won't be seeing these posts here

Since the new versions are not out yet, I can't really say which is better.

I will try both.

Last year, I bought both and I didn't like ESPN because of the game play. Madden was better IMO. But I have no allegiance to either, which ever is the better game is the one I will keep.

if you compare the gameplay in last years additions of both madden and espn, espn was better. But in every other catagory, madden holds it. ESPN looks exactly the same as last year. Madden has upgraded their graphics and now look 10 times better!

It's funny to see people comparing Madden and ESPN cause they are very different games geared for to different markets...Madden is a football sim geared for the hardcore baller, while ESPN aka NFL2k is geared for the casual gamer whereas anyone can pick up the sticks and play...you can't do that in Madden cause the AI is more complexed than the NFL2k series. If any of you played the old Dreamcast NFL2k series that's what ESPN Football is...Great graphics and play by play calling but poor in gameplay and AI, where Madden shines in these two areas

Originally posted by MadMonkey

It's funny to see people comparing Madden and ESPN cause they are very different games geared for to different markets...Madden is a football sim geared for the hardcore baller, while ESPN aka NFL2k is geared for the casual gamer whereas anyone can pick up the sticks and play...you can't do that in Madden cause the AI is more complexed than the NFL2k series. If any of you played the old Dreamcast NFL2k series that's what ESPN Football is...Great graphics and play by play calling but poor in gameplay and AI, where Madden shines in these two areas

Dude, ESPN2k3 was impossible on the normal setting... I don't care what anyone says, you couldn't pass in that game cuz the AI was ridiculous. As for the Madden series, the AI isn't the smartest in the world especially considering playmaker capabilities (which I still consider cheating, no QB can manage to call an audible a second before the ball is snapped).

Over all, I don't think you can label one game as a sim and the other as an arcade game ala NFL Blitz. I think the Madden running game is more realistic versus ESPN where you can run as you please if you mash some buttons. Apparently they fixed the ESPN running game so broken tackles won't happen at whim.

Madden's passing has always lagged in my opinion and this dates back to the SNES/Genesis days. ESPN is light years ahead in this department. Of course, I have noticed the passing game in Madden becomes more and more responsive each year, which is nice. Its a matter of opinion for gameplay, but I'd go with Madden. This year, however, I might be leaning toward ESPN with that tighter running game.

As for bells and whistles, training camp in Madden really does it for me. I really enjoy all of franchise mode in Madden. ESPN kinda sucks here because I really could care less about a crib, but this year they sound like they've really narrowed the gap and then some. As for on-line play, obviously ESPN takes it because they've had years to work on their servers, presentation, and lag issues. I'd definately go with Madden here.

As for graphics, its really a matter of opinion. I personally think those guys that talk about Madden as having the most realistic player models are nuts. In the early days of the Sega 2k series, the models did indeed look like elongated aliens, but eversince last year, whew, those models look ridiculous. The pics I see of this years edition look like real NFL bodies. Madden continues to have stumpy looking players, and I don't play on widescreen tv's so there shouldn't be a reason all the players look so condensed. As for animations, Madden is by far more realistic. ESPN has some exagerated motions, which I kind of like, such as the various jukes and hurdles. In all, its opinion and I like ESPN here.

My conclusion is that this past year, Madden was a better game because I really value a good franchise mode and gameplay is a very close second. This year, I have a feeling I might be leaning toward ESPN's gameplay, presentation, and graphics over Madden's awesome franchise mode. What it'll probably come down to is how well the Skins are rated.

Archived