Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Poll! Madden or ESPN

Originally posted by MadMonkey

It's funny to see people comparing Madden and ESPN cause they are very different games geared for to different markets...Madden is a football sim geared for the hardcore baller, while ESPN aka NFL2k is geared for the casual gamer whereas anyone can pick up the sticks and play...you can't do that in Madden cause the AI is more complexed than the NFL2k series. If any of you played the old Dreamcast NFL2k series that's what ESPN Football is...Great graphics and play by play calling but poor in gameplay and AI, where Madden shines in these two areas

I totally agree. ESPN is for the quick pick up and go. While conversely, madden requires practice and skill to succeed. And I'm not talking about all of the young kids and their 1 play wonders.....because anyone with any TRUE skills can easily adjust and DESTROY someone with just a few "money plays".

Madden is alot more popular than espn because it has been around awhile. I'm shocked that people still play Madden. (Gameplay is just terrible, same old slow and boring game, scores like 50-55)

ESPN is excellent. I am so glad I found out about the ESPN series. I remember when I used to buy Madden, play it for about a week, and then trade it in to gamestop. ESPN is a little harder, you might be safer sticking with Madden.

Originally posted by Conrad87

I totally agree. ESPN is for the quick pick up and go. While conversely, madden requires practice and skill to succeed. And I'm not talking about all of the young kids and their 1 play wonders.....because anyone with any TRUE skills can easily adjust and DESTROY someone with just a few "money plays".

You guys have no clue.

It is much harder to catch a pass in ESPN. In Madden you just throw it the WR and he catches it. ESPN is a lot harder to play, you just haven't tried so stop being a bunch of sheeps :D

Originally posted by Arsenic

Madden is alot more popular than espn because it has been around awhile. I'm shocked that people still play Madden. (Gameplay is just terrible, same old slow and boring game, scores like 50-55)

ESPN is excellent. I am so glad I found out about the ESPN series. I remember when I used to buy Madden, play it for about a week, and then trade it in to gamestop. ESPN is a little harder, you might be safer sticking with Madden.

Dude. If you are giving up scores like that, then your defense just sucks....Play me and try to chuck it up in the air every play and I will "User Pick" you all day long...(the true madden ballers, know what I mean by user pick...lol)

Dude. If you are giving up scores like that, then your defense just sucks....Play me and try to chuck it up in the air every play and I will "User Pick" you all day long...(the true madden ballers, know what I mean by user pick...lol)

yeah you move defense meter to the top and let the computer pick off the ball, so hard :laugh:

My vote goes to ESPN with no hesitation. I have been a lifelong Madden fan but I just feel ESPN has moved ahead in the areas it counts. ESPN's franchise mode covers al the things I care about without having to set prices for hot dogs. As for gameplay, ESPN can be as intricate or simple as you want it to be. Above all, it's just more fun to play, which is what matters to me.

Last but not least, Madden's voiceovers have become a source of irritation to me.

Originally posted by jbooma

yeah you move defense meter to the top and let the computer pick off the ball, so hard :laugh:

:doh: Ok booma now you have really showed your knowledge of Madden....:rolleyes:

Let's see....the reason that it's called "USER" pick...is because..............drumroll please...

The "User" performs the intercepton manually.....

As in human player you know.....real life person holding the controller....

I play online and in tournaments...there is no meter or slider adjustments to help out the computer...and as I said before...if you must rely on the computer and it's flaws to play the game....you have absolutely no chance against a real baller

There were scores like that in the Madden challenge tournament finals. Maybe your not scoring enough. Man, what a typical reply, and I knew that was coming.

Yeah I saw that. The returning champ said you didn't need to have any football knowledge whatsoever to be any good. The final was a Falcons/Falcons matchup where they both traded 50+ yard bombs. It was like a classic Tecmo Bowl matchup where the first person to turn the ball over loses.

Madden is capable of being played at a much more realistic pace, but those are who touting it as the epitome of sim are fooling themselves.

There were scores like that in the Madden challenge tournament finals. Maybe your not scoring enough. Man, what a typical reply, and I knew that was coming.

Have you ever actually been or played in a madden challenge? If you did you would know how tournament games are played....

No one cares about defense in those tournaments...they just want to get the ball last to score the most points....

But whatever...everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion...so....It's all good ya know?!?! next topic... How about those Redskins?

It's all a matter of preference. If you aren't a diehard football fan and just want a game thats fun and easy to learn, Madden is the game for you. It's geared towards the casual gamer. If you want a more complex and realistic game, ESPN is the game for you.

Personally, I like the realistic game more because that's what I look for in games. Probably one of the reasons that I dont play video games outside of sports games. Also, Im a big fan of defense(which seems to be the lost art of all sports video games. A certain basketball game even went as far as to take the defensive stance out of the game to make it easier to drive) And because I'm a big fan of defense, that's a big reason why I like ESPN football more.

Have you ever actually been or played in a madden challenge? If you did you would know how tournament games are played....

No one cares about defense in those tournaments...they just want to get the ball last to score the most points....

But whatever...everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion...so....It's all good ya know?!?! next topic... How about those Redskins?

Huh?? So if I am playing in the madden challenge and am on defense i'm not going to care?? I'll just let the other team march up the feild because I want to get my offense on the feild???

I haven't played Madden Challenge, but, that doesn't make a lot of sense and it sounds like a very weak excuse. I think ESPN is a lot more realistic and fun.

:doh: Ok booma now you have really showed your knowledge of Madden....:rolleyes:

Let's see....the reason that it's called "USER" pick...is because..............drumroll please...

No S sherlock, i was being sarcastic.

I have played madden since the genesis and if you must know I use to host Madden Tournaments at my buddies arcade.

I still think ESPN is a harder game to play, just my opinion. Just because you are a sheep and haven't played it is not my fault you don't like change :doh:

Originally posted by KTrainSkinsFan

Huh?? So if I am playing in the madden challenge and am on defense i'm not going to care?? I'll just let the other team march up the feild because I want to get my offense on the feild???

I haven't played Madden Challenge, but, that doesn't make a lot of sense and it sounds like a very weak excuse. I think ESPN is a lot more realistic and fun.

Like I said before...you had to be there;) ...

Originally posted by KTrainSkinsFan

I have a friend that plays in the madden challenges and he said that all everyone does is do cheap ****. They have all these substitutions and money plays. He said they all put WRs at DT and they use him to roam going for INTs. He said everyone would choose the Dolphins or the Falcons. He said that they all had money plays and cheap audibles. Such as subbing WRs in for TEs on goalline and then audibling to 5 wide if the other guy choose and defense that matched up and if the other guy didn't, they would just run it with Ricky. Also, most people manually blitz with DBs and ****. Theyll put DBs at OLB and just blitz around the edge.

That **** just isn't realistic to me, at all. But I guess how some people could consider that funs. It sounds pretty easy to do and there's probably a lot of strategy to it. But it's not football strategy, its ***** strategy. How can I be more ***** than than the next guy. I dont like that.

edit: The guy that won the tourney did the Goaline audible stuff. And he would just run with Ricky all game and run clock. He won in the semifinals aganst my friend. He got the ball first and just ran with Ricky and would intentionally dive on the ground to run more clock. He got a TD with 4 secs left in the 2nd quarter. My friend scored quickly in the 2nd half and then the guy did the same thing he did in first half and won 14-7.

Originally posted by jbooma

No S sherlock, i was being sarcastic.

I have played madden since the genesis and if you must know I use to host Madden Tournaments at my buddies arcade.

I still think ESPN is a harder game to play, just my opinion. Just because you are a sheep and haven't played it is not my fault you don't like change :doh:

maybe you missed that part when I said "I've owned both"...hmmmmm? And I agree change is good...I tried to change to ESPN and I quickly changed back:laugh: But just as you said it's your opinion...and I also have mine....but don't get it twisted we are talking about a video game.....They all have unrealistic aspects hence the term game.....So I'm done wasting time with this topic....

Another reason why I think ESPN is a lot better is because of online play. That my favorite thing to do because there's nothing like playing against another person and all the strategies involved. And it is actual football strategy because there is not much cheese in ESPN Football. I think this is due to the fact that sega has been online with their console sports games since 2k1. So they've had a head start. They really put an emphasis on eliminating cheap tricks and there is slim to none in this years edition. Whereas madden has thousands, they even have websites dedicated to cheap things people can do.

maybe you missed that part when I said "I've owned both"...hmmmmm? And I agree change is good...I tried to change to ESPN and I quickly changed back:laugh: But just as you said it's your opinion...and I also have mine....but don't get it twisted we are talking about a video game.....They all have unrealistic aspects hence the term game.....So I'm done wasting time with this topic....

my bad you are not a sheep then :D

There are a lot more Madden fans than ESPN. I would garner to say that at least 50% of Madden fans never gave ESPN a try last year, and out of the other 50% that did try it, probably at least half of them liked the product.

Archived