Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Williams: 'D' Will be Versatile

bubba9497

Williams: 'D' Will be Versatile

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=1300

Gregg Williams, assistant head coach-defense, addressed the media on Saturday afternoon about his defensive personnel, some of the newcomers to the Redskins' defense and his complex defensive packages:

Q: What role will LaVar Arrington play in your defense?

A: "LaVar wants to win. He wants to play. He's been tremendous, as have all of the defensive players. All of them have been very good and we're going to put as many packages on the field as we can. There will be defensive backs playing linebackers, there will be linebackers playing D-lineman, there will be D-lineman playing linebacker positions. One of the things we'll do is try to make it as simple as we can for them, but as complicated as we can for the offense.

"They're all having a lot fun right now. I've been really pleased with their attitude and their effort at practice. This whole off-season program, there has been tremendous attendance. The practices have been very spirited. They want to compete and just like I mentioned at the last mini-camp, it's fun to see how hard they want to be coached. Right now, it's a lot of fun."

Q: Do you think Fred Smoot will emerge as the leader of the defense following Champ Bailey's departure?

A: "I think that leaders will finally emerge when they're making plays. I think people tend to listen to you more and pay attention to you more when you're doing more. He's having some very good practices. He might be one of the top guys--as far as attention in the meetings in the off-season program--that I have seen since I have gotten here.

"He's doing a lot of things behind the scenes, above and beyond his other teammates. Not very many people see him hanging around here, but I do. I see him hanging around here way early and staying way late. He was around here on the draft weekend a lot, just studying the opponents and studying what we want done schematically. He's got a very good attitude. He wants to be a better technician because he understands that will translate into better plays and a better defense for us."

Q: What about Shawn Springs attracted the team to signing him?

A: "I think the things he's done as a veteran. I think we wanted to have a little bit of age back there, too. He's been in several systems. He's played in pressure systems, he's played in coverage systems and the fact that his roots are back here, too. He wanted to be here just as much as we wanted him to be here. One of the things that Coach Gibbs has identified pretty strong is that he wants people to want to be Redskins. He loves the Redskins and the people we have around here, you want them to be in love with the Redskins as much as he is."

Q: Will you have a number one cornerback?

A: "We'll have left and right corners and we'll have third corners and fourth corners. Some of the times when you see particular guys matched up against whatever their top receiver is, it may not be who we deem as our top corner, but it might be a situation where we think athletically, size, weight, maybe change of direction that week so they're able to handle the match-up.

"We'll do that some, but for the most part we are a left and right deep team and our corners will cover their wide receivers. When you get real good, some of the safeties can cover the wide receivers, too. That's when it makes it fun because you can do so much more scheme-wise when you don't have to worry about personnel mismatches."

Q: What will new middle linebacker Michael Barrow brings to the team?

A: "He brings intelligence. He's one of the smartest guys I've had an opportunity to coach. He's very intelligent. I think one of the top things that you have to have to be a real good defensive football player is tackling ability. He's a real good tackler and he's very smart. I handed him the playbook less than a week ago and he came into this camp knowing it probably better than the guys I have been here a month in the off-season. That's how smart a player he is."

Q: What are your initial thoughts on some of the rookie defensive linemen in mini-camp?

A: "Every one of those guys will come in here and have an uphill battle. Anytime, whether you are drafted or an undrafted free agent, it's an uphill battle. Their heads are swimming. Yesterday's installations were 124 pages and today's is another 45 pages. Tomorrow's installation is another 40-50 pages. They deserve the opportunity to have a chance to make this team. They've shown enough and they deserve that opportunity.

"Now they have to deserve to stay, too. All of them are real tough guys; all of them have been attacking in attacking modes of defense. The more of those kind of guys we have and the better competition we have, hopefully we can come out with nine or 10 quality defensive linemen when it comes down to that final 53 players on the roster."

Q: Do you think Fred Smoot will emerge as the leader of the defense following Champ Bailey's departure?

A: "I think that leaders will finally emerge when they're making plays. I think people tend to listen to you more and pay attention to you more when you're doing more. He's having some very good practices. He might be one of the top guys--as far as attention in the meetings in the off-season program--that I have seen since I have gotten here.

"He's doing a lot of things behind the scenes, above and beyond his other teammates. Not very many people see him hanging around here, but I do. I see him hanging around here way early and staying way late. He was around here on the draft weekend a lot, just studying the opponents and studying what we want done schematically. He's got a very good attitude. He wants to be a better technician because he understands that will translate into better plays and a better defense for us."

We'll regret drafting him. Promise.

I agree with bird. Why do you say that redman?

Quote by Williams about Smoot:

It appears to me that Smoot is doing his best as a pro and working hard as a Redskin. Not to mention his obvious talent at the CB position.

Do you have inside info redman?

No doubt, it will be difficult to resign Smoot. If that is your rue, I somewhat agree.:cool:

Getting Greg Williams was a huge addition to our football team. Finally an attacking scheme, now offenses are going to have to adjust to what we do on defense.

With the linebackers and secondary that we have I expect to be back in the top ten defensively by the end of the year. With two more solid additions to the d-line we are going to be sick on defense.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

Bird-

Peter King in his MMQB article after the 2001 draft said the following

"The Redskins will regret drafting Fred Smoot. Promise"

After this year I am going to email him and his daughter and throw it back in his fat face

We'll regret drafting him. Promise.

Redman is quoting one of the effing media experts, either Lenny the Hut or Peter King, who said the day we drafted Smoot that we'd regret it because he had off-field issues. Yep! We'll regret it.

I do, however, hope he's not being extra diligent because he know his pay depends on it. Remember, this is his last year of the contract... and he's hoping for a MEGA payday when he extends his contract. He's probably still smarting from the 1st round snuff and wants that money back plus some.

Originally posted by SkinsHokie Fan

Bird-

Peter King in his MMQB article after the 2001 draft said the following

"The Redskins will regret drafting Fred Smoot. Promise"

After this year I am going to email him and his daughter and throw it back in his fat face

Ahhhhh .... I see. ;)

What a tool that guy is. I never realized it until the last several months, but I'm buying into the theory that there is a strong media bias against us. What are they going to do when we win the Superbowl in 2 years?

Originally posted by Cskin

I do, however, hope he's not being extra diligent because he know his pay depends on it. Remember, this is his last year of the contract... and he's hoping for a MEGA payday when he extends his contract. He's probably still smarting from the 1st round snuff and wants that money back plus some.

Fred Smoot isn't an idiot. The way Snyder is throwing money around to "Redskins for life" types.... he knows he can cash in with a great season. And I can't blame him either. He's done everything asked of him and the fans love him.

Originally posted by bird_1972

Ahhhhh .... I see. ;)

What a tool that guy is. I never realized it until the last several months, but I'm buying into the theory that there is a strong media bias against us. What are they going to do when we win the Superbowl in 2 years?

Find somebody else to be bias against and still not give us any credit.

Originally posted by bubba9497

"Their heads are swimming. Yesterday's installations were 124 pages and today's is another 45 pages. Tomorrow's installation is another 40-50 pages."

Jeez. Reminds me of my organic chem days trying to memorize chemical structures and formulas.

I wonder just how much these guys actually retain and just how high of expectations the coaches have for these guys after handing the players 50 pages in the evening after a long day's practice.

Q: What will new middle linebacker Michael Barrow brings to the team?

A: "He brings intelligence. He's one of the smartest guys I've had an opportunity to coach. He's very intelligent. I think one of the top things that you have to have to be a real good defensive football player is tackling ability. He's a real good tackler and he's very smart. I handed him the playbook less than a week ago and he came into this camp knowing it probably better than the guys I have been here a month in the off-season. That's how smart a player he is."

I know this may sound a bit far fetched, but doesn't this sound like pretty much everything Trotter is not? Trotter, if I remember correctly, scored a slightly better wonderlic than a brick...

Archived