Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Cowboys message board takes issue with Redskins possibly being better in '04.....

TC4

Originally posted by LadyNRedskinsfan

like someone else mentioned before, dallas was a few bounces away from 8-8, 7-9....and the redskins were the team that didnt get the bounce, mostly because of horrenous coaching and a lack of discipline. we beat the SB champs and SHOULDVE beat the runner ups. we lost a bunch of games by 6 points or less. gibbs has more talent this year IMO than spurrier had last season and joe will hold these guys accountable for what they do on the field.

i honestly dont see where dallas has improved very much. the biggest holes, QB and RB werent addressed. julius is a rookie and probably wont be much of an improvement over troy hamsandwich. dallass didnt get worse, but they didnt get better. the redskins on the other hand, have filled more than one hole. the coaching staff alone will win this team 3-4 more wins. its up to the players to transfer it to the field.

its sounds to me like dallass fans are scared......:dallasuck

OK, I guess everybody is intitled to there own opinion.

Dallas addressed every need they had this offseason except FS, and I'm not so sure of that. It's possible that one of the several DBs we drafted might ultimatly be moved to FS.

We addressed the OL with Rogers and Peterman.

We addressed QB with Henson.

We addressed the DL with Wiley.

We addressed WR with Johnson.

Lastly, we addressed RB with Jones. To say that Jones is nothing more then Hambrick is a bit short sighted IMO. I understand I'm on a Skinz board but even so, I think an honest evaluation of Jones will prove that he has much better hands out of the backfield, he has much better balance, much better elusiveness and that he has lagit speed to the corner. He was clocked anywhere between 4.38 and 4.42 in workouts/combine. He will be able to stretch the defense.

I guess, I'm just a bit more confindent in our team then you are. I have no problem with that.

Guest Matt Kyriacou
Originally posted by ABQCOWBOY

A bit of a stretch there don't you think?

Especially since he has been away from the game and Parcells has not picked up a veteran back up for QC. He has even proclaimed that Quincy is STILL "the man".

You may have addressed the QB position for about 3 years down the road, but you are suspect at best at the QB spot this season.

Originally posted by Matt Kyriacou

A bit of a stretch there don't you think?

Especially since he has been away from the game and Parcells has not picked up a veteran back up for QC. He has even proclaimed that Quincy is STILL "the man".

You may have addressed the QB position for about 3 years down the road, but you are suspect at best at the QB spot this season.

No, I don't think it's a stretch. I would expect Parcells to say that Quincy is the starter but the teams actions speak volumes. The fact that we didn't go after Collins when we have the cap to do it says something. The fact that we signed Henson says something. The fact that Parcells commented earlier that it would not be out of the question for Henson to start this year says something. To be honest, I think that QC is the #1 guy going into camp and he should be. Carter has to prove he can get it done. He has this year to do it. If he doesn't, I think Henson steps in next year. Having said that, I am a Cowboy fan so I acknowldedge the fact that my opinion may be optamistic.

I personally don't think a QB needs no more then half a season to a season to be prepared to start his learning curve in the NFL. I'm not saying they are ready to be all pros, I'm saying that in that time they should be ready to start learning on the job.

As for an experienced backup, well, I believe we will bring someone in before it's all said and done with. I just don't think that someone will be a QB that will impeed the learning process for Henson.

OK, I guess everybody is intitled to there own opinion.

Dallas addressed every need they had this offseason except FS, and I'm not so sure of that. It's possible that one of the several DBs we drafted might ultimatly be moved to FS.

We addressed the OL with Rogers and Peterman.

We addressed the DL with Wiley.

We addressed WR with Johnson.

Lastly, we addressed RB with Jones. To say that Jones is nothing more then Hambrick is a bit short sighted IMO. I understand I'm on a Skinz board but even so, I think an honest evaluation of Jones will prove that he has much better hands out of the backfield, he has much better balance, much better elusiveness and that he has lagit speed to the corner. He was clocked anywhere between 4.38 and 4.42 in workouts/combine. He will be able to stretch the defense.

I guess, I'm just a bit more confindent in our team then you are. I have no problem with that.

The cowboys may have "addressed" these positions, however the question is how adequately did they address them? Rogers and Peterman are rookies, and will take their lumps just as all rookies do. If they work their way into the starting lineup, every team you play will test them every opportunity they get.

Henson is an unknown quantity, he could become a solid pro but its just as likely that he'll fall to the wayside much as Chad Hutchinson has. Regardless of your opinion of him, logical thinking will tell you that he's going to need atleast a year to get back into the rythym of playing competitive football again, let alone football at such a high level.

Wiley, although talented, has questions about his desire. Will Parcells light a fire underneath him enough to get decent production out of him? Who knows, but I'll give Parcells credit and say that I expect Wiley to regain his old form.

And Jones? He certainly has shown flashes of play-making ability but will his game translate to the NFL? His DNA suggests it won't. But in all seriousness, when both Jackson and KJ were available can you honestly say that you weren't even a bit disappointed when you learned that the Cowboys traded down?

Only time will tell which teams have made the correct acquisitions and better improved themselves, and I think that many here are too harsh in their analysis of the moves made by the Cowboys thusfar. However I think its definitely a stretch to say that they've adequately addressed their needs (FS aside seeing that you've already acknowledged as much). Each move has questions attached to them.

Guest Matt Kyriacou

No, I don't think it's a stretch.

Cool.

Pass the Cool-Aid jug to me next please.

Originally posted by galentjm

The cowboys may have "addressed" these positions, however the question is how adequately did they address them? Rogers and Peterman are rookies, and will take their lumps just as all rookies do. If they work their way into the starting lineup, every team you play will test them every opportunity they get.

Henson is an unknown quantity, he could become a solid pro but its just as likely that he'll fall to the wayside much as Chad Hutchinson has. Regardless of your opinion of him, logical thinking will tell you that he's going to need atleast a year to get back into the rythym of playing competitive football again, let alone football at such a high level.

Wiley, although talented, has questions about his desire. Will Parcells light a fire underneath him enough to get decent production out of him? Who knows, but I'll give Parcells credit and say that I expect Wiley to regain his old form.

And Jones? He certainly has shown flashes of play-making ability but will his game translate to the NFL? His DNA suggests it won't. But in all seriousness, when both Jackson and KJ were available can you honestly say that you weren't even a bit disappointed when you learned that the Cowboys traded down?

Only time will tell which teams have made the correct acquisitions and better improved themselves, and I think that many here are too harsh in their analysis of the moves made by the Cowboys thusfar. However I think its definitely a stretch to say that they've adequately addressed their needs (FS aside seeing that you've already acknowledged as much). Each move has questions attached to them.

I will agree that the degree to which each of these area's have been addressed is really the question.

Where Rogers and Peterman are concerned, I wil say again that I would not assume either will be the starter. I fully expect our OL to be better this coming season. They will have two seasons in the same offense and that will help.

Henson is an unkown. I agree. I believe he will be a good QB but it will take him time. Having said that, you must also consider the fact that this kid has been practicing football a good 4 months now. He has also had ample opportunity to learn the system. He will have had much more time then a normal rookie when the season starts. There really is no question that he has all the physical skills you could ask for from a QB. The question is, how does he come back. No way to tell until he gets a chance to get on the field. I'm not a big believe in delaying the inevitable. His IQ is very high. He will learn the offense quickly. From there, it is a matter of getting the speed down. Either he can do it or he can't. Either way, by the begining of next year, we should know who the future is going to be. I suspect that Parcells and Jones already have an idea.

Wiley is what he is. At the very least, he's better then Ekuban. Is he the answer? Don't knowbut there is no question in my mind he will at least be better then what we had.

I think it's interesting to consider that several teams had a need at RB but none took Jackson first. 24 teams passed on him. I am probably the wrong guy to ask this question to because I actually like Julius Jones and what he can do offensively. I think he's a better fit for a Parcells offense then Kevin Jones. As for Jackson, well, lots of teams passed on him. I suspect there was some reasoning behind this. If you look at this thing on the surface, maybe you don't like the trade but if you say believe Jones will be a good back (and I do) plus, you got a #1 from Buffalo, then you have to say that you like the trade. I am being completely honest with you when I say that I like the trade.

I agree, I think it's too early to tell and that goes for both teams. I believe that there will be plenty of time to see how much each have improved. Who knows, maybe we both look back in 5 years and say, neither of us help ourselves. Maybe we both did. The point is that it's not an exact science. To say that the Cowboys did nothing to improve is not correct. We have improved and we will be better. Will we be good enough? That's the whole fun of the NFL.

Originally posted by ArmchairRedskin

On paper and on the field. Easy to gloss over those 3 consectutive 5-11 seasons after 1 winning season, isn't it?

First of all, Gibbs is much more personable than Parcells is. Second, Parcells got enough of the players to buy into his system to double the win total from the previous season. What does being away from the game have to do with motivating players? It's all the same. Besides, I'm sure enough of the guys are fed up with losing, and don't need much motivation to perform for a HOF coach.

What roster overhaul? The only question mark we have is on Dline. The jury is still out on that because Gregg Williams' schemes could very well take advantage of the guys we do have. Our coaches seem comfortable with them.

Your Oline and Dline is much improved? When did this happen? I must have blinked. I don't see any improvements.

Don't pretend to know what players are thinking when it comes time to resign. That's just wishful thinking at this point.

You have both OL and DL questions, you cannot assume everything will be honklie dory now that you have Gibbs.

Our Oline and DL got much improved with the signing of wiley and our 2nd and 3rd round picks...

Originally posted by RW31

You have both OL and DL questions, you cannot assume everything will be honklie dory now that you have Gibbs.

Our Oline and DL got much improved with the signing of wiley and our 2nd and 3rd round picks...

Take your own advice and don't assume anything.

Is last year included, If I recall correctly you guys were dominated both games last year, despite the score being 21-14 in the first meeting.

What does last year have to do with the fact that we were better from 2000-2002 when those are the years you put in question? I alluded to the fact that you had a winning season. Since we didn't, you would have to assume that I did include last year. I don't see how your response is at all relevant.

A lot has changed since 1992, the players have bigger egos, and get paid more so it's harder to make examples out of high paid players.

So you think Parcells is better at dealing with players than Gibbs? I don't think being gone for 12 years negates any people skills Gibbs has. Even with big salaries, players still want to win. They still want to earn a ring. Competition is human nature. Especially in professional athletes. My statement stands that Gibbs is more personable than Parcells.

Okay, so you know exactly what your getting from Shawn Springs? Okay how about how well Fred Smoot will play with out having the coverege rolled onto his side of the field. Not to mention Dave Fiore/Derrick Dockery and Corey Raymer/Lenny Friedman.

I don't see a problem anywhere you've indicated. I'm totally comfortable. Smoot is coming along nicely. He had a terrific year despite the injury. What's not to like about those lineman?

Marcellus Wiley=Ebenezer Ekuban, not to mention Willie Blade has a year of starting under his belt. On the oline Jacob Rogers is better than Ryan Young and Stephen Peterman will take either Gurdode's spot or Allen's spot if the don't play better.

So where have you improved? I see changes, yet no improvement per se. I'd say a wait and see approach is more appropriate here.

It doesn't take a genuis to realize that every time Snyder goes on one of these shopping sprees he has to turn the roster over every few years to keep it from getting out of control.

Or you can see that there has been a new coach every two years. Different coaches require different types of players. Ever think of that? I'm gonna say no.

No, but I can say optimistic. I don't think you can say that Wiley = Ekuban. Wiley has demonstrated that he can be much more productive. Ekuban never showed that.

I really wasn't paying attention b/c it was late and didn't mean "=." I meant to put a ">"

Originally posted by TC4

What amazes me is how both Cowboys and other teams fans seem to comment that out offensive line sucks, but they base that upon how they played last year, and do not realize that the O-line was playing under the Spurrier system, which spread them out in pass blocking and thus, made our QBs more vunerable to blitzes.

They just don't understand that in a Gibbs offense, the top priority will be to PROTECT THE QB, and this season when the Cowboys try to run that all out blitz with Roy Williams and it leaves the Redskins WRs one-on-one with their CBs, either Brunell or Ramsey is gonna set them on fire and burn them big

I wonder if the coaching staffs will make the same mistake? I doubt it.

The Cowboys edge last year was coaching... even Bill Parcell's said last year that the Skins had more talent than any other team in the east... that aside, games are won on the field... everyone's aim should be at the Eagles... the Cowboys have an edge against the Skins again due to the fact that the players have had a whole season of learning the Tuna's system...

But I fancy our chances... jail house blitzes will be picked up!!!

Originally posted by WilberMarshall

The Cowboys edge last year was coaching... even Bill Parcell's said last year that the Skins had more talent than any other team in the east... that aside, games are won on the field... everyone's aim should be at the Eagles... the Cowboys have an edge against the Skins again due to the fact that the players have had a whole season of learning the Tuna's system...

But I fancy our chances... jail house blitzes will be picked up!!!

Or they'll just hand off to Portis who will slide right through them.

:cool:

Coaching will make a big big difference, and The Cowgirls will fail to beat us this season. I think that we have addressed most of our needs, and while I'm still concerened about our d-line, I think that we will be able to run to at least a 10-6 record.

Archived