Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Paul Woody: Skins' Barrow can hold foes accountable

bubba9497

Skins' Barrow can hold foes accountable

Barrow ready to start anew after Giants cut out their middle man

BY PAUL WOODY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER May 1, 2004

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031775201350&path=!sports&s=1045855934844

ASHBURN - When he was a freshman at the University of Miami, people kept telling Mike Barrow that a football player could not major in accounting.

So Barrow majored in accounting.

"I figured that if the football thing didn't work out, I could always get a job with an accounting degree," Barrow said. "Growing up and watching gangster movies and all that, it seemed like accountants always had a very important job.

"And people told me I couldn't do it. That's another reason I got a degree in accounting."

Barrow is not opposed to accepting a challenge. He accepted a significant one when he signed on to be a Washington Redskins middle linebacker.

The position has its demands, and intense scrutiny comes with the territory. Barrow was ready for that when he reported for the Redskins' minicamp this weekend.

The Redskins were unhappy with the production they got from Jeremiah Trotter at middle linebacker the past two years, and Trotter will not be around for 2004. Instead of getting by with Kevin Mitchell at the spot, the Redskins brought in Barrow, with his 11 years experience and his 1,239 tackles.

"The guy has a ton of experience, really good leadership skills, he's intelligent, and gives us good direction on the field," said Redskins linebackers coach Dale Lindsey. "He plays the game the way it should be played: very tough and physical.

"He's a very sharp guy. A guy like that is too smart for me. It's nice to have smart players. They make you a better coach. They can grasp a concept and expand on it."

Barrow, 34, had hoped to expand on his career in New York. He played the past four seasons with the New York Giants and felt he was an integral part of their defense. He also was taking advantage of the opportunities in the New York area to work on a degree in broadcast journalism at New York University.

But after a 4-12 season, the Giants decided to start over. They fired one coach, Jim Fassel, and hired a new one, Tom Coughlin. They took a long look at their salary cap and how they wanted to spend their money.

Barrow did not fit into the Giants' plans, even though he had 188 tackles last season, 150 of them solos.

"That's been happening since the salary cap came in," Barrow said. "It's nothing personal. It's just people going in a different direction. It's not that they didn't want me, it's just that they wanted me at a certain price. I wasn't willing to do that."

When it comes to name players with good track records, the Redskins are not deterred by asking prices. Barrow and the Redskins agreed to a six-year deal worth about $14 million with a $2.5 million signing bonus.

"Obviously, you want to take care of business, get the maximum out it," Barrow said, ever the businessman and accountant. "We met at a medium point we both felt good about. It's all good.

"Sometimes it's not about the money. It's being where God wants you to be. Even before the Redskins contacted me, I had made a list with 10 things I was looking for in a team, things like a system that fits, the chance to go to a Super Bowl, an owner committed to winning, a good location to raise a family. I told my wife that if I had to leave New York, Washington would be a good place to go."

The Redskins want their man in the middle to be more than a run stopper who plays two downs and heads to the sidelines. They want a three-down middle linebacker who can step up and stop the run on one play, then drop and cover on the next.

Barrow is certain he is that middle linebacker, and he plans to bring more than just his "A" game.

"I bring me, the complete me," he said. "Whatever you want to pick from me, that's what I'll give: leadership, helping guys with technique, an ear to listen, vocal enthusiasm - the total package, from making plays to being a student of the game. I think they're getting one of the best middle linebackers in the league."

Originally posted by bulldog

The Redskins have helped themselves up the middle of the field on defense with Griffin, Barrow and Taylor :)

That's for sure!!!

Now there is only the right side and the left side to shore up! :silly:

Originally posted by bubba9497

"I figured that if the football thing didn't work out, I could always get a job with an accounting degree," Barrow said. "Growing up and watching gangster movies and all that, it seemed like accountants always had a very important job.

...who says those gangster movies have a negative effect on America's youth?

:respect: :pimp: :cash:

whenever someone mentions the age of a player, I am reminded of Randy "Captain America" Couture.... 40 years old and still beat down Tito Ortiz.... I think barrow is one of the best offseason moves we've made so far.

I think it was an OT game...but I remember following a game because I had Barrow on my fantasy team last season and one game he had around 19 tackles, the man was everywhere.

150 total on the season..he might not be a spring chicken or have all of the speed in the world(like LaVar for example) but he makes plays, has a non stop motor, and is a sound tackler. Something I was hoping Trotter would do for us but it never came to fruition.

He(Barrow) brings much in the way of leadership and experience for Washington and Arrington...this "should" be a great LB corps...of course I thought Arrington, Trotter and Armstead were going to be a beast linebacking corps as well....ooops.

Originally posted by ciresolstice

of course I thought Arrington, Trotter and Armstead were going to be a beast linebacking corps as well....ooops.

I've often felt the same. But I'm not totally sure they weren't a beast of a LB corp.

In my opinion their demise was the lack of protection/help in front of them. Our LBs were asked to do too much. And as a result they were out of position frequently and also burnt frequently.

Hopefully Daniels and Griffin can change this trend for our new backers and Arrington. But until a couple guys up front can show they can rush the passer and/or tie up linemen then I think our LB will continue to struggle.

I guess you would say I'm among those who believe you can't build a defense from the "outside in." You can have the greatest LBs and DBs in the world but without solid guys on the line they are rendered useless.

Archived