Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most feared of all time...

Renegade7

LT hands down.

Lott was a great great player, but LT was maybe the most dominant defensive player ever.

I know Joe Gibbs and Co had nightmares. LT was Parcells' secret weapon with the Giants, he made that defense.

The closest thing we've seen to LT is Ray Lewis in terms of intensity and leadership on the field. Hopefully Lavar can get to that point so I can put a Skin in that category of LBs.

Hail Skins.

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

Between LT and Lott, LT wins hands down.

LT was so scary that it made Joe Gibbs change the way he set up his offense. Gibbs credits LT with making him come up with the one back backfield and placing an extra TE on the field.

As for all time scary, IMO it's a tie between Deacon Jones and Dick Butkus. I've seen so many interviews from past players where it was a general consensus that nobody wanted to play against these two. Just wish I could've actually seen these two play more. From all the footage I've seen,they could truly dominate a game.:2cents:

Going back some more, I have seen Big Daddy Lipscomb, Dick Night Train Lane, Mike Curtis, Ted Hendricks, Bubba Smith (yes, I'm a reformed Colts fan) Jack Lambert, Rat Nitschke and even our own Sam Huff lay some major wood ..

But yes, you picked probably the best two, Butkus and Jones, who could be mentioned with LT and Lott.

Lott didn't force teams to redesign offensive schemes to deal with him they way teams did with LT. And while a great hitter, I wouldn't say that Lott brought it any harder than some of the guys mentioned in the previous post, or guys like Mike Curtis or Chris Hanburger.

Wide receivers and QBs knew where Lott was, but entire offenses knew where LT was.

Yet I'll also add this. While LT was a great player, he wasn't great every play. And one guy who could go toe to toe with him was Joe Jacoby. Jacoby was one of the few tackles that could withstand that tremedous leg drive of LT's and not be bull rushed. Jacoby often forced LT to find other gaps in the OL through which to rush, and allowed us to realize that the best way to neutralize LT (not always effectively) was to run right at him.

The secret to LT, if you never saw him play, was his lower body. He had the hips, legs, thighs, and calves of a much bigger man. He probably had the most powerfully developed lower body of any athelete I've seen play. And it wasn't all strength either - he could really get those legs moving, and he had great agility.

Anyway, I really don't see the comparison. Lott was great at his position, but LT was something beyond that - a football force of nature.

Originally posted by The X-Factor

If LaVar and Taylor live up to their potentials we could have BOTH of those types of players on one team. If that's not scary, I don't know what is.

I love Lavar but....he will never be L.T. Lawrence Taylor was L.T. right from the get go. You didn't have to wait for him to develop. Lavar has all of the physical gifts but nowhere near the football intelligence.

LT was definitely the most feared. I saw him take (I believe it was) Jim Lachey head on toe to toe, arms locked, when Jim was a Pro Bowler, and throw him to the side, and make the sack. Jim was a 300 lbs, great player.

LT could engage 3 men on a play: beat a double team on the line, and hit the blocking back who stayed for max protect. I saw him hurdle scared blockers and easily beat 300 lb linemen.

LT could cover too. I saw him take backs, and even go in the flat with receivers.

LT was one of the best.

Originally posted by Oldskool

IIRC Lott broke his finger on an opponents helmet and tore some of the flesh off of it so he could continue playing.

Lott actually broke his finger, and then later had the top of it amputated so he could stay in the lineup for the playoffs that year....now that's one tough SOB....

But if you want to talk most feared, I would have to go with LT, I hated seeing that line up against us 2 sometimes 3 times a year beacuse you knew that he could (and usually would) make one play to turn the game around.

Originally posted by Renegade7

It sucks being so young sometimes. Hate to make some of ya'll feel old. Sorry. Didn't LT break one of our QBs legs? Didn't Lott mess up his finger then cut it off to go back into the game? My dad told me about it, and I was just, wow. These guys are monsters! Or is that an understatement?

LT ended Joe Theisman's career. It had to be the sickest thing ive ever seen on T.V that was real. It was so sudden and so shocking that i almost threw up. I was like 8 or 9 years old at the time i think and it was just nasty. Broke his leg in half like as if it was a toothpick.

Was he on crack 'all the time'. Was he on crack at all (I thought it was only coke back then)?

It's a shame that his gameday reputation suffers from wondering whether his recreational habits carried onto the field and influenced his play.

Originally posted by Terry

Was he on crack 'all the time'. Was he on crack at all (I thought it was only coke back then)?

It's a shame that his gameday reputation suffers from wondering whether his recreational habits carried onto the field and influenced his play.

One dosen't have to wonder if he was "coked" up on game day. He's admitted it numerous times that he was. It's too bad that his reputation is such because of the "coke".

Originally posted by Terry

As far as i know from watching his interviews once he retired, he admitted that he was on crack or coke which ever, alot of times during games. You never seen his interviews? I think he was also on 20 20. Now ive never done coke in my life but from what ive heard , it keeps you up and hyper as hell. He probably didnt feel lot of pain either.

'It sounds like a Paul Bunyan tale,' Ronnie Lott said recently with a laugh.

Paul Bunyan in this tale would be Lott, a Hall of Fame defensive back.

It begins with Lott -- playing for the San Francisco 49ers -- making a tackle in a 1985 game against the visiting Dallas Cowboys. On the play, Lott got his left little finger stuck between a helmet and a shoulder pad, slicing open the finger.

'It was split down the middle,' said Lott's college teammate Dennis Thurman, who played for the Cowboys at the time.

'I've heard the story goes I cut it off in the locker room myself and went back out,' Lott said.

He then joked, 'I forgot (the truth). It's like Babe Ruth pointing to center field. That's the kind of story it's turned out to be.'

In reality, Lott missed the remainder of the game, the final one of the regular season. He then had the finger temporarily repaired so he would be able to play in the NFC Wild Card game against the New York Giants the following week.

Eventually, doctors amputated the tip of the finger.

'The doctors thought it would be better for me to do that since I was continuing to play,' said Lott, who would play nine more years.

He says losing the finger was not that big of a deal. 'It wasn't like I was going to have a good-looking finger, because it was pretty much destroyed.'

I'd say LT was the most feared of the two. One thing that stands out to me was his ability to tackle/bring down the defender with one arm and strip the football from them with the other, simultaneously. I've never seen a player do it with as much success as Taylor did.

I remember seeing a Jurgenson interview about celebrations and he said during a game with the bears, he was in the redzone and threw a TD pass to one of his recievers and it was on Butkus. The reciever jumped up happily and spiked the ball. Butkus got mad then took the guy out.

Originally posted by Oldskool

Both were monsters in their own positions.

You cant compare them to one another. Both were awesome to see play.

I agree with Oldskool on this one, they each played their own position, (which is difficult to make a fair comparison to), becoming a legend in the making, setting the bar for each position to be played for years to come.

Archived