Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most feared of all time...

Renegade7

Originally posted by Oldskool

Both were monsters in their own positions.

You cant compare them to one another. Both were awesome to see play.

Agreed Oldskool. In my mememory the stand out thing about LT was how he was a force beyong reckoning for so long in such relaibly consistent fashion. He didn't have much of that "good games/not-so good games" thing that many other "stars" have. And his area of dominace invloved dealing with the biggest, strongest, toughtest guys on a team.

What I remember about Lott was of course his mad-dog hitting style and the actual FEAR many receivers would openly admit to having about catching in front of him. In the NFL, the men who play will often acknowledge the talent of a super opponent but they rarley say things like they just get "plain shaky" about the idea of facing them.

And, correct me if I'm wrong and confusing this with Jack Tatum but I rememer how before they made a rule against it he would put stick-um on his gloves to help grab jersey's and INT's. The other thing that will always be in my mind is that wild-eyed stance he'd go into, with his knees bent in a crouch, facing straight ahead, and his arms out wide to his sides with his hands twiching madly like they couldn't wait to grab something, and his head shaking, helmet and all, like he was on the verge of a siezure. F'in scary.

Originally posted by yank

Going back some more, I have seen Big Daddy Lipscomb, Dick Night Train Lane, Mike Curtis, Ted Hendricks, Bubba Smith (yes, I'm a reformed Colts fan) Jack Lambert, Rat Nitschke and even our own Sam Huff lay some major wood ..

But yes, you picked probably the best two, Butkus and Jones, who could be mentioned with LT and Lott.

I wouldn't slight Chuck Bednarick either. When he played center, the defense got out of his way. When he played MLB, he killed people. The best, most devestating tackle in NFL history is still considered to be Bednarick's hit and tackle on Frank Gifford of the Giants. Gifford missed the rest of the season and spent the entire next season recovering.

LT was easily the baddest motherf....... to ever play defense. The only player even close since is Ray Lewis.

His early battles with Joe Jacoby were classic. Someone said earlier that he forced Coach Gibbs to completely alter his offense, which was true. No one man could handle him.

Without LT, Parcells probably would have been fired early in his career....

Talyor without question over Lott, but if you were to make a truly awsome pole for this category you'd want the following:

Chuch Bednarik

Dick Butkus

Ray Nitshke

Lawrence Taylor

Deacon Jones

Tombstone Jackson

There's a friggin pole of intimidation right there.

Archived