Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 metal albums?

Mr. S

Originally posted by Skinsfan75

I think "justice" was a very good metal album, but the big problem I have with it is that the production was bad. If it had been better produced like "Master" or "Ride" it could have been the best one they ever did. Although, they did manage to make a worse sounding album with "St. Anger." I actually like that album to, but Lars sounds like he's playing on empty coffee cans the whole time, and there are no Kirk solos. I think he took a sabatical for that album or something. If you listen to St. Anger though, just like Justice you hear some really ingenious stuff going on. The big question with Metallica is going to be, where they go from here.

Correct with the production analysis for both albums, but at least with Justice you could make the case that they were unsure of themselves and trying to replace Cliff was something they actually feared doing....thus the lack of bass on the whole album.

St Anger had decent guitar work, but again the bass got screwed cause Bob Rock played on it...and he knew he sucked so again they faded it and kept the bass stupid. It's too bad Robert Trujulio...a truly amazing bass player wasn't in the band until the album was done. I think this caused Bob Rock and Lars to try and conpensate for the bass with those awlful drum tones. As if loud and annoying was suddenly what "heavy" was.....

I gotta say though I could almost deal with it all...even the crappy crappy Bob Rock (who single handlely took Metallica down as producer), except for the lyrics.

Someone (Rock) convinced Hetfield he could sing...and beyond that, that he was a singer. So now we just get James huffing and puffing with his little "yeahs" and "hey,hey,heys"...while he repeats chrous lines over and over that sound like they were written by an angry 4th grader. And because of the extra loud drums...Hetfield's voice is mixed even louder so you get to hear every syllable clearly and awlfully.

Can't stress enough how bad the lyrics are on St Anger....wow

#1. Master Of Puppets---Metallica (hands down)

#2. Reign in Blood---Slayer

#3. Kill Em' All---Metallica

#4. Ride the Lightning---Metallica

#5. South of Heaven---Slayer

#6. The Sound of Perserverance---Death

#7. Black Metal---Venom

#8. Jester Race---In Flames

#9. Shout at the Devil---Motley Crue

#10. Dead Heart in a Dead World---Nevermore

There is my personal list. I've been a metal head for 20+ yrs, and anyone who argues #1 just doesnt know metal.

There are so may that you guys are overlooking. In Flames, was more accurate with his list. But bands like Linkun Park don't need to be even mentioned in ths group.

Here's my top 10

1. Metallica - Kill em all

2. Led Zepplin - 4

3. Megadeath - Countown to Extinction

4. Black Sabbath - paranoid

5. AC/DC - back in black

6. Metallice - And Justice for all

7. Guns n Roses - Appetite for destruciton

8. Pantera - Far Beyond driven

9. Motley Crue - Shout at the devil

10. Deep Purple - Machine head

Other worthy of mention:

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

Judas Priest - Stained class

Danzig - Danzig

I could go on and on, but I won't for now!

Originally posted by RySkins

Megadeth...it amazes me how many people mispell that.

Megadeth....now there's a forgotten Metal band. I never really got much into them aside from the "Peace sells" album. (which was comparable to early Metallica) Mustaine was a hell of a guitar player.

1) Judas Priest....Sad Wings of Destiny

2) Metallica....Black Album

3) Black Sabbath.....We Sold Our Souls for Rock and Roll

4) Iron Maiden....Number of the Beast

5) Quennsryche....EP

6) AC/DC....Back in Black

7) Slayer....Seasons in the Abyss

8) Ozzy Osbourne.....Bark at the Moon

9) Metallica....And Justice for All

10) Judas Priest...Stained Class

Originally posted by In Flames

#1. Master Of Puppets---Metallica (hands down)

#2. Reign in Blood---Slayer

#3. Kill Em' All---Metallica

#4. Ride the Lightning---Metallica

#5. South of Heaven---Slayer

#6. The Sound of Perserverance---Death

#7. Black Metal---Venom

#8. Jester Race---In Flames

#9. Shout at the Devil---Motley Crue

#10. Dead Heart in a Dead World---Nevermore

There is my personal list. I've been a metal head for 20+ yrs, and anyone who argues #1 just doesnt know metal.

I have been a "Metal Head" for over 30 years, and Metallica's Master of Puppets is a kick a$$ album, it is not my "personal favorite", but that doesn't mean I don't know metal.

Let me hear your opinon on what is the all-time metal song in the history of Metal music.

For me, their is only one song that would fit that title, and that would be Judas Priest's Victim of Changes.

Black Sabbath's War Pigs is a close second.

Here's my list of personal favs. Many are borderline metal, or precurser metal bands.

Mob Rules - Black Sabbath

Blizzard of Ozz - Ozzy, RR

And Justice for All - Metallica

Operation Mindcrime - Queensryche

Powerslave - Iron Maiden

Deep Purple - Machine Head

Rust in Peace - Megadeth

Alice in Chains - Dirt

Led Zeppelin I

Gretchen Goes to Nebraska - King's X

• 7 months later...

Dream Theater - Train of Thought

Dream Theater - Awake or Falling Into Infinity (I can't decide)

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Ozzy - Blizzard of Ozz

Angel - On Earth As It Is In Heaven

Malmsteen - Malmsteen

Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather

Scorpions - Blackout

Kiss - Alive

Eloy - Metromania

Michael Schenker Group - Michael Schenker Group

Ministry - A Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Savatage - The Dungeons Are Calling

Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast

I agree with alot of what's been posted, specially with the Master of Puppets and Kill 'em All. 'In flames', I agree that Master is a better all around album but Kill 'Em All will always have the memory of hearing of this new band and thinking WOW! For that reason, Kill 'Em All my number 1. By Master of Puppets, we were all already expecting excellence from them and they delivered perfection.

Metal Church someone mentioned, their first was amazing. I don't think anyone mentioned Anthrax's Spreading the Disease. Probably a top three for me. I also saw somone mention Y&T, they definitely had some good albums but not sure if I would call them metal. Another somewhat lesser know band is Accept, their Restless and Wild and Metal Heart albums were great too.

Originally posted by Sweet Sassy Molassy

I think anything from Tool, Black Sabbath and Metallica top this list.

To make my list I have to say:

1: Tool - AEnima

2: Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire

3: System of a Down - Toxicity

4: Tool - Undertow

5: Tool - Lateralus

6: Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

7: Nine Inch Nail - Pretty Hate Machine

8: Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies

9: RATM - Rage Against the Machine

10: Sevendust - Home

That's how I see it, but I do like the newer stuff.

Evil Empire was FN brilliant!!!!!!

Morello:notworthy

Slayer's Reign In Blood is what set the THRASH METAL standard. Anyone involved in death/black/gore/grind/hardcore etc...will tell you that. The only people who won't are Metallica who pretty much pretend that anything heavier then themselves doesn't exist anymore. Granted, a lot of metal bands also say early metallica influenced them, but almost in total agreement, are metal bands saying Slayer's Reign in Blood was the Thrash Metal anthem.

Archived