Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: What would you do with Draft

A:Take 5th overall Secltion and get a College Superstar

B: Trade down get more picks at potentionaly less talented players

C: Trade 5th overall pick For a proven starter in the NFL

I myself think that we need a few holes to fill trading down seems to be the best option. Then we get a TE, DT LB, and a S or a cobmation of that sort

I love Taylor - but if we could trade down to 9,10,11 and pick up a second rounder and maybe a 4th or 5th, I would do that in a heartbeat. Then you could get T. Harris, Wilfork, Udeze or W. Smith in the 1st and then and still address safety with Sean Jones out of Georgia or Schweigart out of Purdue in the 2nd.

The caveat is we must get one of the top 4 DL, and a second. If not, then go with Taylor.

Trade down...I know that it is hard to pass up a game breaker like KWII or Taylor. They are blue chippers with obvious potential. But the money that it will take to sign them will be rediculous for thier positions at that pick. I don't think it makes fiscal sense.

Trade down and fill the gapping wounds along the D-line.

Originally posted by The X-Factor

The ideal situation would be to trade down a few spots (like with the Browns). That was we could get more picks and one of impact players in the draft.

Yes, but only if we could be virtually certain of getting an impact player. Also, if the Skins are going to trade Gardner, they should do it now or during the draft if they can get a high enough pick to select a quality player at a need position. They may also want to package 5th and 6th round picks, and maybe even a pick in next year's draft, to move UP to select a high quality player in the 2nd or 3rd Round.

There is no next year. I may be dreaming, but I can foresee the possibility of drafting that impact player we all would like to have plus two other players who have the ability to become starters early in their careers. All on Defense, of course. :wavetowel

I would draft the best available player at the position of most need. Every team in the NFL needs to continually develop talent on their roster and while some teams may think that more picks=more talent, I would rather work guys in the early round of the draft that are ready to contribute sooner rather than later. Rounds 5-7 are for finding those extraordinary cases where a player develop into a star beyond your wildest dreams after being developed properly. I think trading away from the 5 pick to get more gives you a better chance of more of your picks being busts.

Im on the "take Sean Taylor" bandwagon and address the d-line either before the season or next year. We've already upgraded the d-line(although its far from being dominant) and I think Taylor is probably the best player available and could do the most to single handedly improve our squad and replace losing champ in the secondary.

My first reaction is to trade down, get extra picks, and address our weak areas. If not with blue chippers then with possible depth and hopes of a late round gem. This is not new logic I know.

But has anyone looked ahead to see what the draft class looks like for next year? It seems that as teams become more "advanced"(for lack of a better word) in assessing draft picks and with the forethought of roster management the salary cap has forced, perhaps there are already targeted players for next year. Targeted may be too strong a word, but if say there were expectations of a deep pool of high quality DTs and/or DEs the approach that the 'Skins are showing may be the way to go. Take Taylor (or lordy forbid KW2), depend on DL by committee for a year, and take care of DL troubles with a (hopefully) late first round bick in '05.

Just a thought. I don't follow college ball to any great degree. If anyone has any insights, I'd love to hear them.

I think getting a few more picks would help, but the problem with that is..

If you look at the last few Drafts late 1st and beyond haven't made a big impact thier first year.

I am officaly rebutting my early statement to get more draft picks and keep are 5th overall. Cause if everything goes right we shouldn't have a pick this high for years to come. So take it while ya got it.

I would trade for more picks, like a late 1st rounder and a 3rd or 4ther and snag T. Harris from the Sooners, or i'd just take Winslow or Taylor depending on what's left before us. If one of those WR's are available i'd take them and create cap space by trading Gardner (dropsy boy) for a future 3rd rounder.

When you happen to be fortunate enough to have needs at areas where "top 5" talent are....you have to take it. Winslow or Taylor are guys likely to be at the top of their respective positions in a few years....they might even redefine them. And....we don't exactly have a TE who's an offensive threat or a safety capable of instilling fear in guys when they cross the middle. Winslow is a dynamic offensive weapon...and Taylor is one hell of a ball hawk. You have to take one of these guys....you can't trade down (unless you can get top 5 talent next year) and risk getting servicable talent or worse...just because we have holes in the DL.

If we had pro-bowlers, or even really good veterans at the positions that the top 5 talent fall in...then maybe we have the luxury of passing on them by trading down....but we don't. We have a need in these areas and these guys are extremely good there....(I think many people in the NFL have Taylor and Winslow as the most complete players in the draft...and they are falling to us...or could fall to us...b/c teams ahead of us want to draft out of need.)

Get the top 5 talent. Pick up some ok DL late in the draft...and a few cheap regular vets after Jun 1st. You can't plug all the holes every year...live with the line as it is for a year...DON"T get in the habit of pissing away draft picks for next offseason...and then draft a stock of DL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (very very rarely are DL picked in round one ever worth as high as they go..).

It's simple....trade down out of what we think we need most....while ignoring another need with a possible star player available...and we'll regret watching both of those Miami studs tearing it up for other teams for many years.

The way I look at it is in a Mike Ditka kind of way... are either K2 or Sean Taylor worth an entire draft? Would you spend your entire draft on either a te or a free saftey? I don't think so. I think Sean Taylor's impact would be neutralized if not minimalized by lack of pass rush or commitment to blitz? We had Champ and and a veteran Champ and without the pass rush, we've seen how powerful an impact a top db has. As for Winslow, I can't fathom spending our entire draft on a tight end/ h back... a utility player, a guy so smart he signed with the Postons who this year are considered poison. Now I realize we aren't trading our whole draft like Ditka did, but essentially the entire draft boils down to what we do with number five. In my opinion, the best option is to trade down. The thought that we're going to go to the salvage yard for the fifth year in a row to try to patch together a serviceable dline is not a pleasant thought. I really think it would be better long and short term to invest there.

I think most of us will agree that on defense we have to many holes to fill and not enough picks. However, it seems awfully tough to pass on a guy like Sean Taylor. I would have said the same about Winslow, but now that he has signed with the Postons, I would imagine he is dropping down our draft board quickly. Although the idea of trading down for more picks also makes sense, we are taking a higher risk of a player turning out to be a bust. With Taylor I think we all know what we are getting and I think he would fit in very well with Williams defensive style.

:2cents:

I voted to trade down due to our many needs, however if we could get extra picks somewhere else like trotter then I would love to get one of the studs available at #5. of course that would be a larger signing bonus but would hopefully be worth it. should be a good to great DT left in the 2nd that we could definately use.I'm really missing the 2nd and 3rd we had couple of months ago. work some magic joe, we have faith in you.

Archived