Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor: Patriots looking to move up to 5 to get Jackson (ESPN Insider)

I was just looking over ESPN Insider and the following made sense to me:

With running back as its top priority, New England has reportedly set it's sights on Oregon State RB Steven Jackson. However, we hear that the Lions also covet Jackson, and since Detriot picks sixth overall and New Englan'd first pick is at No. 21, the Patriots will have to move into the top five to get their man. The Pats have the means to do just that, with two first round picks, two second-rounders, a third and two fourths.

This article can be found here: http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story?id=1769167

I am salivating at what this could mean! If New England trades their two first-rounders a second-rounder, we could possible turn around and trade one of the first-rounders and maybe a round or two next year to move up to around twelve and possibly still get Udeze, along with having another late first-rounder and the second-rounder! Well, one can only hope!

Originally posted by jimster

we should trade down with Cleveland to #7 ( and their 2nd) so they can get Gallery and then trade #7 down with NE for both of their 1st's - Jackson will still be there at 7

Plus trading Gardner for a 2nd all of a sudden gives us two #1's and two #2's

is Jackson really the guy you trade all the way up to #5 to acquire if you are NE? :)

If the Pats move up to #5, what is the compensation going to be?

The two #1's plus a #3?

The two #1's plus a #2?

A #1 this year, a #2 this year and a #1 next year?

Originally posted by bulldog

is Jackson really the guy you trade all the way up to #5 to acquire if you are NE? :)

If the Pats move up to #5, what is the compensation going to be?

The two #1's plus a #3?

The two #1's plus a #2?

A #1 this year, a #2 this year and a #1 next year?

they want to beat the Lions to this guy, I think #1's and a #2 would be acceptable. That's some serious depth all the sudden. We could use all 3 on DL and get 1 or 2 starters right away.

make them take Trotter also.

Originally posted by jimster

we should trade down with Cleveland to #7 ( and their 2nd) so they can get Gallery and then trade #7 down with NE for both of their 1st's - Jackson will still be there at 7

You think Gallery makes it to the 5 pick? I don't.

I disagree. You don't move down from #5 to #21 and only receive a #3 pick :)

In past drafts I have seen teams give up a #3 for moving up two or three spots :laugh:

No, the trade would have to include either both of the #1 picks or a combination of #1 and #2 selections either in 2004 and/or 2005.

i dunno about you all, but I dont really like the idea of trading away next years draft picks. As it is we've already lost our #5 next year, and i certainly would like to have our 1, 2, and #3 picks for once again. Im all for trading our pick this year if the Pats give up a lot.

According to the Draft Pick Value Chart both of NE's #1s and a #2 is fairly reasonable (#5 = 1800 points, #21+#32+#64 = 1850), and I say we jump on it. Take a couple defensive lineman and a tight end or safety... with those three picks we would have a lot of options...

Every time we talk the trade down scenarios we have to pull out the draft pick value chart. I know it's not exactly precise but it'll give you an idea of how teams generally value picks.

draft pick value chart

By looking at the chart you could see that NE's 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder is perfectly reasonable to trade up to #5. Still I think the best value will come on draft day. People have to see if their guy is there before giving up the picks to get there. Our objective is to have as many must have players do great in their workouts so someone is going to be willing to overpay to get at our #5 pick. Right now the player that looks like circumstances could put him available at #5 who would be most coveted is Gallery - IF SD, NYG, OAK, and PHO take 2 qb's and 2 wr's. Taking a rb (like Jackson) at #5 or #6 is as much against conventional wisdom as taking a S or TE at that spot.

With at least 3 of the 4 teams picking ahead of us talking the possibility of trading up or down, a team would be pretty reckless to trade for our #5 withou knowing what's going to happen ahead of them on draft day. In the end I believe we will trade down, but not until we're on the clock.

:cheers:

Originally posted by thinker

Every time we talk the trade down scenarios we have to pull out the draft pick value chart. I know it's not exactly precise but it'll give you an idea of how teams generally value picks.

draft pick value chart

By looking at the chart you could see that NE's 2 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder is perfectly reasonable to trade up to #5. Still I think the best value will come on draft day. People have to see if their guy is there before giving up the picks to get there. Our objective is to have as many must have players do great in their workouts so someone is going to be willing to overpay to get at our #5 pick. Right now the player that looks like circumstances could put him available at #5 who would be most coveted is Gallery - IF SD, NYG, OAK, and PHO take 2 qb's and 2 wr's. Taking a rb (like Jackson) at #5 or #6 is as much against conventional wisdom as taking a S or TE at that spot.

With at least 3 of the 4 teams picking ahead of us talking the possibility of trading up or down, a team would be pretty reckless to trade for our #5 withou knowing what's going to happen ahead of them on draft day. In the end I believe we will trade down, but not until we're on the clock.

:cheers:

I always enjoy your post

Archived