Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rumor: Patriots looking to move up to 5 to get Jackson (ESPN Insider)

I think backing them into taking Trotter is a good idea. I would settle for their two #1s and a 4th for our #5 and Trotter.

Either way we go, NE has so many picks that if they want to move up that bad itll be hard to pass on the opportunity to do some wheeling and dealing.

Hail Skins.

Good trade that #5 because I don't see us being able to afford another 14 mil signing bonus. I don't think Gibbs will WANT to risk the core of this team on a unproven amazingly expensive rookie. Like he said we are keeping the pick unless we get a amazing offer and guess what....the patriots are in a position to do exactly that.

i think these rumors of detroit and stephen jackson is a ploy for detroit, who really want sean taylor. if the pats were to take us out of #5 and take jackson(too high) it would ensure detroit the impact safety.

NE does have alot of picks to play with, but as far as value, getting Houston's #10 and #40 is probably better for us than NE's #21, #32 and late 2nd rounder. You can still get a special player at #10 (I'm not saying who we should pick - but at #10 we are almost guaranteed to be able to get either Taylor or Winslow or Udeze) at a much lower cost than the #5 and still get a stud at #40.

How about this scenario ... give the pats our #5 & Trotter for both of their #1's and #2's :)

That way we work Trotter into the deal for essentially a 2nd round pick, but if you look at the draft chart and they are a little short exact value, this more than makes up for it :).

Plus, they don't know if Colvin is truly coming back based on his injury.

Originally posted by thinker

NE does have alot of picks to play with, but as far as value, getting Houston's #10 and #40 is probably better for us than NE's #21, #32 and late 2nd rounder. You can still get a special player at #10 (I'm not saying who we should pick - but at #10 we are almost guaranteed to be able to get either Taylor or Winslow or Udeze) at a much lower cost than the #5 and still get a stud at #40.

I agree Thinker. I don't really want to move down to the tail end of the 1st round and the final pick of the 2nd round for our number 5. That'd take us out of the game as far as the elite prospects go.

If we were to trade with Houston, we could pick up one of those 3 players that you mentioned. Then with the 2nd we'd still have a shot at the safety from Georgia, Sean Jones. I'd much rather go that route.

I'm not too crazy about trading our #5 pick for NE's two #1's and a #2 and I'll tell you why.

Their first #1 pick is at 21, which is fairly low. Their second #1 pick is at 32. So low that it is really like a #2 pick, being only one spot away from the second round.

Then both their #2 picks are at the bottom of the 2nd round, more like high 3rd round picks then high 2nd round picks.

The problem with the N.E. picks is that they are not high enough in their respective rounds to my liking. :(

I would prefer the Skins traded down from #5 to #10 and pick up a 2nd round pick say with Houston. Then we can still draft a blue-chip player at #10 and also have a higher 2nd round pick then either of N.E.'s. :)

Originally posted by Displaced Redskin Fan

It'll be alright. Denial is the first step in the grievance process. It's ok, everything's going to be alright. :(

PIPE DREAMS :insane:

I still don't understand why most of the people in this thread think that the Pats will not only trade their 2 1st rounders and one of their 2nd round picks to move up to #5 to take Steven Jackson??????????

Not Barry Sanders...Thurman Thomas....Eric Dickerson....Walter Payton....but Steven Jackson.

A team like the Patriots, who've won two Superbowls with average running backs, will trade up to the #5 to select a running back, who doesn't have either gamebreaking ability. It makes no sense. With an aging linebacker corps (T. Johnson, M. Vrabel, T. Bruschi, Roman Phipher & DE/LB W. McGinest) and an aging #1 cornerback, no true quality backup QB, and a past his prime R. Harrison at safety, they will not trade up.

Hell, the could possibly pick up Corey Dillon for a 3rd rounder. He still has gas left and could give them the same or more than likely better production than Jackson.

Everyone knows that the Pats don't make stupid decisions like the one most of you are proposing and/or salivating over the possibility of.

If you were a GM, would you pass up the chance to gain 4 solid starters who will add youth and speed to your defense/offense, for one decent running back who doesn't have value at the 5 spot.

They will opt for Jonathan Vilma, D.J. Williams, Greg Jones, Dante Hall, Sean Jones, Will Allen or any plethora of quality players that fit their system in this deep and talented draft class.

You don't trade out of the top 5 and only get that teams first rounder and their 2nd. That's only fair value and to trade out of the top 5 you should get more than just fair value. Anyway, I'd rather just stay put at #5 but if we were to trade down I'd rather go all the way down to NE's pick and that way fleece them of a ton of picks.

As far as getting the Pats to take Trotter, forget about it. They don't have the cap room for him and their picks unless Law redoes his deal which isn't happening.

by many accounts....Winslow is considered the best player in this year's draft irt his athleticism, prowess at position, potential for immediate impact. It's amazing how so many are willing to drop in the draft for the opportunity to select an UNKNOWN dl who is by no means CERTAIN to have an impact....just so we can pump our chests and state..."Yup, we finally made amends with the past and drafted a dl. Aren't we special! We're now SB bound!!!" It boggles the mind that many are willing to forgo the rare (let us hope) opportunity to draft a stud at 5 just so we can up the body count on a will-o-the-wisp hope that a dl and some 2nd rounder will become starters and change our ortunes entirely.

No one has made the case yet that any of the potential DL'ers can come in and have an immdeiate impact (or even long term) in the defensive system Williams is running. It's just assumed that sinec some bloke managed 16 sacks against the stellar O-linemen of the Pac-10 that he will do the same at this level. Someone neeeds to make the case on the real odds for this. How many out of last years 11 1st round DL picks had an immediate impact? how many have "star" written all over them? #5 just doesn't come around very often.

I really don't like the prospects of being at the end of the first round. Last year Arizona traded down and received two mid-round picks back-to-back and didn't come away with more than role players. This is a very front loaded draft. The talent seems to reside in the top 7-9, then a big drop off after that. We're very lucky to have the #5 pick, and there are two players, and maybe three if Udeze is a legit top five pick, who would fill huge needs for the 'Skins at TE and S. This is where contract issues fit in, but if we need a player, Danny can make room undoubtedly. It would be foolish to pass on the great talent that will be available to us.

As for number five for Jackson, it's insane. No way will Detroit pass on Taylor, Winslow, Gallery, or the Williamses to take someone who is projected to go mid-to-late first round. They're in the same boat as us, no way they leave Winslow or Taylor to take Jackson.

This is getting good. Exactly what we need motivated buyers. The Pats have all these picks why not slide some our way and let them take whatever they want at #5. We can get some D-LINE

finally and stop the run and beat on some QB's.:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Originally posted by fansince62

by many accounts....Winslow is considered the best player in this year's draft irt his athleticism, prowess at position, potential for immediate impact. It's amazing how so many are willing to drop in the draft for the opportunity to select an UNKNOWN dl who is by no means CERTAIN to have an impact....just so we can pump our chests and state..."Yup, we finally made amends with the past and drafted a dl. Aren't we special! We're now SB bound!!!" It boggles the mind that many are willing to forgo the rare (let us hope) opportunity to draft a stud at 5 just so we can up the body count on a will-o-the-wisp hope that a dl and some 2nd rounder will become starters and change our ortunes entirely.

No one has made the case yet that any of the potential DL'ers can come in and have an immdeiate impact (or even long term) in the defensive system Williams is running. It's just assumed that sinec some bloke managed 16 sacks against the stellar O-linemen of the Pac-10 that he will do the same at this level. Someone neeeds to make the case on the real odds for this. How many out of last years 11 1st round DL picks had an immediate impact? how many have "star" written all over them? #5 just doesn't come around very often.

Then by that logic wouldn't Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger be the better picks since they are both considered Franchise Quarterbacks?

Archived