Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official McCants has signed thread (Merged)

bsmsss

Originally posted by Art

This can not be, BCS. Do the Redskins not realize the cap hell that's coming in 2006 that will prevent us from even fielding a team? How can we keep signing players like this. OUTRAGEOUS.

:laugh: :laugh: :cheers:

Good one Art, but you forgot to add a sarcasm tag. Some folks are very literal minded around these parts and a few might even get the notion that you're serious. Which is kind of funny in it's own right. ;)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37100-2004Mar30.html

Redskins Sign McCants

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, March 30, 2004; 7:00 PM

The Redskins today signed restricted free agent wide receiver Darnerien McCants to a three-year contract.

Before the start of free agency, the Redskins had signed McCants, 25, to a one-year qualifying $628,000, which allowed Washington to receive a fifth-round pick if another club signs him.

However, at the behest of Coach Joe Gibbs, the Redskins intensified negotiations recently so that the Redskins wouldn't risk losing the 6-foot-3, 214-pound wideout. Last year, McCants tied Laveraneus Coles with a team-high six touchdowns and caught 27 passes for 360 yards.

The Redskins on Monday reacquired wideout James Thrash from the Philadelphia Eagles for a 2005 fifth-round pick. But the trade -- which hasn't been officially announced -- didn't factor in McCants's contract talks.

"They've been bringing in other people all my career here," McCants said. "But I'm like a bad habit. They won't get rid of me that easy."

Several teams had expressed interest in McCants including the Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders and Baltimore Ravens. But McCants never signed an offer sheet, his agent said, partly because of a desire to remain in Washington.

"I asked [McCants] about these other teams," McCants's agent, Harold Lewis, said. "And he told me to do my best to keep him in Washington."

Today, McCants caught passes for the first time since undergoing arthroscopic surgery in his right shoulder after the season. During an informal practice at Redskins Park, McCants snagged balls from quarterbacks Mark Brunell, Tim Hasselbeck and Patrick Ramsey before signing his new deal.

The injury prevented McCants from participating in Gibbs's three-day minicamp from Friday to Saturday. But Gibbs saw enough on film to want to retain McCants.

"I heard from the other coaches that Coach Gibbs was comparing me to Art Monk. That's crazy," McCants said, referring to Gibbs's former wide receiver. "Now that it's official I can just concentrate on football, and go full steam ahead."

© 2004 The Washington Post Company

McCants isn't getting traded. This seems to be a very modest contract (if the other thread is true) and McCants has seemed like an ideal Gibbs guy from Day one.

He has a passion for the game and he wants to be a Redskin. He also has a life and a mind outside of football with his artistic endevours.

This is a great move for the team... congrads D-Mac!!

Archived