Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official McCants has signed thread (Merged)

bsmsss

the more i hear the more i love about this guy! :notworthy

"I'm like a bad habit. They won't get rid of me that easy."

"I asked [McCants] about these other teams," McCants's agent, Harold Lewis, said. "And he told me to do my best to keep him in Washington."

that and apparently hes one of the most active skins in the community. definately a great guy to have on the team, someone who really wants to be here!

"I asked [McCants] about these other teams," McCants's agent, Harold Lewis, said. "And he told me to do my best to keep him in Washington."

Thanks Darnerian, that is much appreciated by us fans! We're glad to have you back!

Informal practice huh.....is that legal???

The QB's are all new to the system and want the job....even Hassleback wants some love from Gibbs. I don't blame them for busting their humps out there from now until camp.

Now......we need to seriously try to package Rod and Trotter together for a nice 2nd rounder.

San Diego....you're in need for a WR and MLB.....I'm looking in YOUR direction. Marty......you like Rod.

Originally posted by Bufford T Trisnicki

Now......we need to seriously try to package Rod and Trotter together for a nice 2nd rounder.

I like this idea...and it sounds like something that could reasonably happen, though Trotter does have a large contract. By the way....Happy Birthday, you old fart :)

Any chance we'll work out a trade with the Ravens. They're in dire need of WR's. Do they take a chance on another rookie in the draft or look to trade for an established WR. Gardner isn't TO by a long shot but he's better than anything the Ravens have on their roster.

Several teams had expressed interest in McCants including the Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders and Baltimore Ravens. But McCants never signed an offer sheet, his agent said, partly because of a desire to remain in Washington.

Gotta love that kind of loyalty. the Skins fan dream come true :)

I hope that some of that money is incentive-based . . . actually, let me re-phrase that . . . I really, really, really hope that some of that money is incentive-based.

As much as I like D-Mac, if the reported money ($5-6M) for three years is accurate, I am certain that our front office has lost its mind (Vinny. . . lose his mind???? . . . heresy you say). There is no team, repeat no team, that was going to pay D-Mac (who has never been more than a #3 WR thus far) $6M on the come (no matter what he has flashed so far). I really like him, too, but having already spent a ton on other teams' starters, are we really now paying a young, never-before-starting WR an average of $2M per year?????? I'm sure this will draw responses because of the number of people who like D-Mac (and remember, I do too), but its not the re-signing that gets my reaction, but the amount.

Cap-hell would be a welcome place in 2 years. I fear much worse things.

i thought the crows were looking at D-MAC , anybody know whether they made an offer and we had to match it , is that why we gave him $2 mil a year , just curious , i'm really glad we got to keep him . :cool:

:ravensuck :dallasuck :eaglesuck :gaintsuck

They're paying a degree for potential here, monarch, not on past production. If McCants turns into a solid #2, that's a very good contract.

The Eagles have been doing this sort of thing - re-signing up-and-comers to deals that, if the player does "arrive", turns out to be very cap-friendly. The Eagles get lauded for it.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

If McCants turns into a solid #2, that's a very good contract.

Well, using that approach, if he turns into a pro bowler its a very good contract, too. I think its premature to give a #3 receiver that much (unless a lot of it is incentive based -- then, if he does take the big step up, he'll have earned all that he gets . . . he just won't get it unless he takes that step up). Its one thing to score when you are the #3 guy on the field. Its quite another when you are bumped up to #2 and the other team puts a better cover guy on you.

Listen, I hope I'm worrying about nothing, but it sure strikes me that we are throwing a lot of money out there 'on the come.' If we really thought he was this deserving, why didn't they tender him at the higher number, decrease the likelihood of someone else signing and/or assure us of a higher pick if someone else did, and take all the pressure off of us to pay a seller's price for him. Either Vinny botched this thing on the front end or he botched it now (or both!!). Again, my beef is not with signing him back -- I like having D-Mac out there -- but its at this price. If we had money to spare, it would be one thing, but we don't.

Redskins Re-Sign McCants

By Nunyo Demasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, March 31, 2004; Page D03

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A37100-2004Mar30.html

The Washington Redskins yesterday re-signed restricted free agent wide receiver Darnerien McCants, who tied for the team lead in touchdowns last season (six), to a three-year contract.

McCants, 25, was given a one-year qualifying offer of $628,000 before the start of free agency, a move that would have given the Redskins a fifth-round draft pick if another team signed him. Although there was interest from other teams, Coach Joe Gibbs made it clear the team didn't want to lose the 6-foot-3, 214-pound wideout, and the sides agreed to a deal that will pay McCants approximately $1.5 million annually, according to sources.

McCants entered training camp last season on the bubble to make the roster but finished with 27 catches for 360 yards, and tied Pro Bowl wideout Laveranues Coles for the team lead in touchdowns.

Monday's acquisition of wide receiver James Thrash from the Philadelphia Eagles for a draft pick -- a trade the Redskins said will be officially announced today -- didn't factor in McCants's contract talks, sources close to the negotiations said.

"They've been bringing in other people all my career here," McCants said. "But I'm like a bad habit. They won't get rid of me that easy."

San Diego, Miami, Oakland and Baltimore were believed to have interest in McCants, but his agent, Harold Lewis, said the player wanted to stay in Washington.

"I asked him what about these other teams?" Lewis said. "And he told me to do my best to keep him in Washington."

McCants caught passes yesterday for the first time since undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder in early January. During an informal workout at Redskins Park, McCants snagged balls from quarterbacks Mark Brunell, Tim Hasselbeck and Patrick Ramsey, then signed his new deal.

The surgery prevented McCants from participating in Gibbs's three-day minicamp last weekend, but the coach apparently saw enough film to know he wanted to keep him.

"I heard from the other coaches that Coach Gibbs was comparing me to Art Monk. That's crazy," McCants said, referring to Gibbs's former wide receiver. "Now that it's official I can just concentrate on football, and go full steam ahead."

McCants's deal leaves the Redskins $1.5 million under the salary cap, but the team can gain more room by restructuring contracts or releasing players.

Redskins Notes: Thrash agreed to have his contract restructured to make it worth approximately $1 million against the salary cap, sources familiar with the situation said. . . . Gibbs is at the league meetings in Florida with owner Daniel Snyder while Vice President Vinny Cerrato remained in Washington to oversee draft evaluations.

Archived