Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So We Picked Up a 6

Dan T.

Everyone agrees that it was a good move to get something out of losing Bryan Johnson to a cap-unfriendly free agent offer. So we shrewdly picked up a 6th round pick in this year's draft. But what can we get from that?

Here's a quick look at some Redskins' 6th round picks over the years that have made some kind of contribution to the team. (We've been lucky with quarterbacks over the years in the 6th round.)

1969 - Harold McLinton, LB

1983 - Babe Laufenberg, QB

1986 - Mark Rypien, QB

1987 - Ed Simmons, OT

1988 - Stan Humphries, QB

1993 - Darryl Morrison, SS

1993 - Frank Wycheck, TE

1994 - Dexter Nottage, DE

2000 - Todd Husak, QB

So you can can uncover a gem so late in the draft (witness McLinton, Rypien, Wycheck). The other guys at least made the roster and contributed in some fashion.

Can anybody list other current NFL guys that were 6th rounders?

That's crap.. the Redskins aren't trading for a receiver when they have Coles, Gardner, McCants, Jacobs, Russell, Swayne, Cloman and a slew of other camp fodder guys.

I remember listening to a Sports show driving through Carolina and Eric Davis, former DB for the Panthers, was giving analysis on the Eagle/Panther game. He said that although Thrash was a fast receiver, he was the easiest receiver to cover in the NFL.... indicated that defensive backs knew exactly what his route was on any given play by little things in his stride and setup.

Not an ounce of truth to that bs.

Originally posted by jpgirth

This may be goodbye to chad morton?

What? :doh1:

Thrash couldn't catch a cold if his life depended on it. He has no business in the NFL let alone in the presence of Sir Gibbs. This is insane if it's true. It must be the water or something.

Interesting prospect of getting Thrash for a 6th rounder. He is a good punt/kick returner so we would be able to possible cut Morton from the roster and save some cap space. But there are some downside to taking Thrash again. The most obvious is the fact that recievers are supposed to be able to catch the ball, and Thrash often lacks that ability.

I know we can possibly pick a player in the 6th round that can be as good or better than Thrash; but the decision makers must ask what the chances are that they can pick up a player in the 6th round that is as good as Thrash. Last year, I would have said take the trade because the staff could never pick the diamond in the rough that is the draft's second day. But I think that Gibbs has the great ability to choose deep in the draft.

Of course there are gonna be a few players that are going to slip through the cracks. But how often does this happen? I don't expect anything out of the 6th round pick except for providing depth. I would be ecstatic if we found a starter that late in the draft, but the odds are against it.

Archived