Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins Looking to Trade Johnson by Tuesday????

StevieInferior

Is it possible, since Gibbs said that there is still a process there regarding Bryan Johnson, that after we matched his offer sheet that the Saints called and offered us some compensation for him? If a team wants him enough, they may just do that .... But I don't think that we would get a very high round pick in the draft for him seeing that he was an undrafted player originally.

The proof of the pudding will be tomorrow's practice. If Bryan Johnson was out of town and the coaching staff decided late yesterday to retain him, he may be coming into town today and hopefully play tomorrow. If he doesn't play tomorrow, then a trade is most likely in the works.

Love the sig pic BCS. That is one of my favorite books. I lost my copy years ago but I never forgot the lessons within. It helped me win a LOT of war games, including more than a few against people who studied warfare in the military. :D

Originally posted by Aluadan

Or people like to start rumors based on nothing. Johnson isn't going anywhere, Gibbs likes the guy too much to let him go.

:hammer:

If this is true, then why would Gibbs indicate that there is still a process going on regarding Johnson? technically we matched the offer sheet for him, so he should be ours unless after matching the offer, another team or the Saints offered trade value for him now that he is signed to a contract.

It is an interesting point. The deal for Johnson had no signing bonus. So, if the Skins can trade him they get something for him. If they don't and want to cut him, they can do that too and it costs nothing. They could even cut him and work a deal where they make a new deal with him :). Sneaky.

This could be fun to watch.

Gibbs I believed said that Johnson wasn't planning on being at the mini-camp (thought going to Saints).

so I don't know if he will be there tomorrow or not. I don't think the Skins would trade him now, because there probably be a cap hit in doing so.

Originally posted by Art

It is an interesting point. The deal for Johnson had no signing bonus. So, if the Skins can trade him they get something for him. If they don't and want to cut him, they can do that too and it costs nothing. They could even cut him and work a deal where they make a new deal with him :). Sneaky.

This could be fun to watch.

That's pretty damn funny if you think about it. Cut him, and then give him essentially the same deal, but replace the roster bonus with a SB.

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

Cut him, and then give him essentially the same deal, but replace the roster bonus with a SB.

Except cutting Johnson won't work. If they cut him, he would have to clear waivers with 31 other teams. Then the Saints would claim him off waivers with the original contract they signed him too. :doh: Actually some other team would probably claim him before the Saints had a chance.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Except cutting Johnson won't work. If they cut him, he would have to clear waivers with 31 other teams. Then the Saints would claim him off waivers with the original contract they signed him too. :doh: Actually some other team would probably claim him before the Saints had a chance.

I'm not up on my waiver rules, but I'm not sure that they are always applicable. We did something similar with Ethan Albright a year or two ago, where we cut him and then resigned him 15 minutes later to a vet min contract (750k, only 450 against the cap). He commented that in the 15 minutes he was technically available, he got calls from three teams, but ignored them.

Weren't we going to get a draft pick for him anyway if we didn't match? (I forget what level the tender was...)

Yeah he wasn't there yesterday, that's because nobody was sure he'd be around still. Even like an hour before the deadline Gibbs wasn't sure what was to be done.

Originally posted by Zen-like Todd

I'm not up on my waiver rules, but I'm not sure that they are always applicable. We did something similar with Ethan Albright a year or two ago, where we cut him and then resigned him 15 minutes later to a vet min contract (750k, only 450 against the cap). He commented that in the 15 minutes he was technically available, he got calls from three teams, but ignored them.

Thats true that did happen. But there was some special circumstance involving his contract that was attached to that as I recall. It was an exception to the general rule, although I can't recall the specifics now. Someone may have to research it. :)

If this is true, then why would Gibbs indicate that there is still a process going on regarding Johnson?

It's just that I feel that people are reading too much into what's being said. You could sit here all day and debate exactly what Gibbs was talking about when he spoke of the 'process'. One way would say that he's just talking about getting him to redskins park to get caught up on things, get a playbook etc. or that there already talking to other teams for a trade.

But just remember one small thing, Gibbs likes to refer to nearly everything as a process so keep that in mind that it's just they way he talks and not him trying to speak in code saying he's going to be traded.

According to what Bubba posted on another thread, Johnson's agent said his client did not plan on being at Redskin Park until Monday. [see below] By then the minicamp will be over. :rolleyes:

====================================

Johnson, ’Skins reach $4 million deal

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Story.asp?ID=64095

Mike Prater

The Idaho Statesman

Former Boise State football player Bryan Johnson hasn´t scored a touchdown in four seasons with the Washington Redskins, but he scored big Friday.

The restricted free agent landed a four-year, $4.12 million contract with the NFL club, his agent said.

Johnson, who played high school ball at Highland of Pocatello, will make more money next season than in his previous four professional seasons combined.

His base salary in the first year will be $750,000 with a roster bonus of $800,000, according to the NFL Players Association.

“It´s one of the best fullback deals out there. ... Based on his production and the supply and demand of the market, it´s pretty simple stuff. It´s great to see a kid from Idaho do this,´´ said Derrick Fox, his San Diego-based agent.

Johnson, a linebacker at BSU in 1999, signed an offer sheet with the New Orleans Saints after a full-day visit last Friday. Because Johnson is a restricted free agent, based on his length of service in the league, the Redskins had until 4 p.m. EST Friday to match the offer. The match came 10 minutes before the deadline, Fox said.

The 6-foot-1, 245-pound Johnson, an undrafted rookie free agent in 2000, started 23 games at fullback the past two seasons with the Redskins. He will switch to the more-productive H-back position in coach Joe Gibbs´ system. Johnson has three career carries for five yards, and has caught 33 passes for 314 yards.

He was the Redskins´ special teams player of the year last season.

The Redskins opened a three-day mini-camp Friday at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Va., with Johnson a no-show because of the contract situation. He will report to work Monday, Fox said.

Johnson, 26, made the NFL minimum $212,000 in 2001, his first full season on the active roster. He made $300,000 in 2002 and $375,000 last season.

He was not available for comment Friday.

Archived