Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whats your Favoirte Horror Film

wwninja420

help me guys....I've forgotten the name of this movie.

Plot: Guy buys a little wooden doll, a warrior like-figure, for his girlfriend and tells her that the shopkeeper told him not to take the necklace off of the doll.

She does...it comes to life.. chases her around the house slicing her up with it's knife. She throws it in a suitcase and it cuts it's way out. She throws it in the oven....then goes back to "check" on it and it jumps out and attacks her and bites her. She then becomes possessed.

Anyone.....anyone......warrior-like doll comes to life.... anyone?

Cskin:

I can't tell you the name of the movie, but the plot comes straight out of a short story called "Prey" by Richard Matheson.

For those who don't know, Matheson is one of, if not the most influential horror writer past Edgar Allen Poe. His work has been ripped off by many authors and screenwriters as well.

I think his finest work may be "I am Legend", a vampire story that has been borrowed and contorted by the likes of "The Omega Man" and "28 Days Later".

I think if you read Richard Metheson, you'll find that Stephen King is influenced to the point of using a similar writing style (ripped off IMO) and King CLEARLY borrowed from MANY of Matheson's short stories to write his own.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

The Changeling

Oh yeah....

When that ball comes bouncing down the steps....I just about wet my pants.....spooky....

The Exorcist III, although it makes no sense at times, has some incredibly scary scenes, especially the one late at night in the hospital ward. I still jump every time at that one.

'What Lies Beneath' ain't half bad either. Helpful hint #1...if your bath starts turning itself on, get the hell out of the house. :)

Did anyone see the preview to the new "Dawn of the Dead" on USA tonight?

Interesting advertising method: The movie has not been released yet, but they showed the first 10 minutes (uncut ... just as it will be seen in the theaters). First time it's been done.

I've not been a big fan of the zombie flicks, but this looked pretty wild. Creepy.

Where to start? There were so many movies that got me. And I'm a scary movie watcher too! But my list of good ones are (In any order):

Phantasm

Exorsist

Trilogy of Terror

Burnt Offerings

Night of the living dead

Omen I

Rosemary's Baby

Halloween

Alien

The Ring

Nightmare on Elm Street I

Freddy I

Tarhog, I totally agree with you about Exorcist III. That scene freaks me out so much even when I know it's coming. I think it's the image you have of what will happen combined with the music they use.

To me, one of the creepiest ones I've seen in a while has been TCM remake. It was VERY graphic and creepy.

However, Halloween is my all time favorite just because of the mood even though it doesn't scare me as much as a few others.

GREAT THREAD!

Wasn't one of the stories in 'Trilogy of Terror' about gnomes that took people souls when the lights went out. I remember when I first saw that was just when I was getting old enough to no longer need the lights on when I went to bed and coincided with me getting the bedroom in the basement. It was almost a year before I could sleep in that room with the lights off!

Favorite Horror film is the name of this topic. I'm not going to interpret this as the film that scarred me the most the answer to that would be eraserhead, but that doesn't even fall into the genre of horror. Instead I will interpret it as the films in the genre of horror that I liked the best. I'll do a top 5.

5. Nightmare on Elm Street - Freddy Krueger is a great villain. It's awesome to see Johnny Depp at such young age. There is also great analysis on the theme of dream world and reality. I am currently writing a screenplay for which nightmare on elm street is a major influence although it is not horror in any sense of the word. It's wonderful.

4. Texas Chainsaw Masacre - Okay, so not much happens for a 1/2 hour in the movie. The movie is boring for that entire period. There is really no negotiation between the characters. These are huge problems, but the last hour makes up for the first 1/2 hour in a big way. Wonderful development of the story. People have criticised the movie saying why did the characters keep going into the house for leatherface to kill them. However, I think their motivations were clear they were looking for their friend in what they thought was an abandoned house. They didn't know the others were dead, they had no indication to think they were killed. The only person who went into the house knowing that there were killers there was the last girl and she was forcibly taken into the house. The grandfather was creepy, and a wonderful performance by the girl who was hung on a meat hook. Her response was less writhing pain than it was absolute shock at her position. The remake did this movie no justice, except it made the begining more interesting. If this movie were as good for the first 1/2 hour as it was thoughout Texas Chainsaw Masacre would be at least #2 on this list possibly #1.(Note: Tobe Hooper's origional not Murcus Nispel's Remake)

3. Psycho - If halloween in the father of the modern slasher film Psycho is the grandfather. Great story, Great performance, Classic hitch****ian direction. The shower scene to this day may be the best edited scene in the history of cinema, and it all ends with a very creepy premise (note: origional not Gus Van Sant's Remake)

2. The Dead Alive - Hysterical, see What Peter Jackson was like before he hit the big time with "The Lord of The Ring." Complete unabashed gore and a complete mockery of the genre it's a part of. A priest starts beating up zombies and he says, "I kick ass for the Lord." A lawnmower is used as a weapon, and this scene is not the scene were the most blood is seen. Watch the unrated version, it's about 11 minutes longer and puts back into the movie alot of the atmosphere that makes it so funny.

1. The Shining - Not scary, but great horror, everyone involved gives the best performance of their carreers. Stanley Kubrick is still in top form. The kid is both cute and creepy and has awesome 80's hair, hallways fill with blood. A great study of a man going insane. Probably the best cinematography ever shot on color in 1.33:1 format. Just perfect.

Note: There are certain classics I have not seen such as halloween, The living dead movies, and both versions of nosferatu.

I'd have to say the scariest are:

13 Ghosts

Aliens

Predator 1

"Return" of the Living Dead (Because running zombies scare me)

Exorcist

Butterfly Effect

Darkness Falls (only when it was in the theaters)

All Nightmare on Elm Streets

Jaws (Will never go in Deep water again)

And the opening of Ghostbusters

And soon to come: Dawn of the Dead remake

Favorites.....not scariest:

1) Hellraiser....how could you guys forget about the first and second hellraiser???

2) Sleepaway Camp - gotta love the 80's campiness of it all......i remember so many cheesy one liners i.e. "Eat **** and die, eat **** and live......" and "Hey bobba a re bob...hey hey bobba a re bob.......and the greatesty ending ever...Angela in all his glory..eghhhh

3) Silence of the Lambs - I know its really a thriller, but the first time i saw this in the theatre...."It put's the lotion on it's skin, or it gets the hose again.." Classic

4) Texas Chainsaw (original) - a masterpiece.....what all other horrors will be compared to in my book...the opening hitchhiker scene was the single best preformance by a horror actor in my book....i thought i was in some weird Texas Imbred Delivearance

5) I Spit On Your Grave - this a weird movie....the first 45 minutes is a mutiple gang rape....very graphic....disturbing w/ a retard taking part.......but she gets good revenge

6) i also agree with others on Rosemary's baby (one of my favs) and the Others (well maid and great environment)

7) Poltergeist - I know it's cliche...but when i was a kid I would never look at the tree outside my window at night....nor clowns!!!

8) Evil Dead - also a masterpiece.....i would say if you had to watch only two horror movies it would this and TCM

9) Recently put out straight to videos on Ted Bundy and Dahmer....the Bundy one especially (great drinking movie with the guys) i feel bad for the victims failies because the movie had you rooting for Bundy and making some of the girls look like tramps....Bundy = must see

Originally posted by Doggmatic

Tarhog - missed your first post. So that story was in the film Trilogy of Terror?

The video box is high comedy.

Yep.

The other two stories are so-so...don't really remember them to be honest. I'd forgotten about 'Burnt Offerings', another one with Karen Black.

The pilot for 'Night Gallery' was pretty good, I used to love that series. The original inspiration for 'The Others' is an old black and white movie called 'The Innocents'....I HIGHLY recommend it if you want a creepy movie...Deborah Kerr is the main character and she's a nanny for two weird kids. Another great old one, although some wouldn't call it horror is 'The Bad Seed' also about a cute kid who's not so cute in reality. Very well done.

Originally posted by Cskin

Plot: Guy buys a little wooden doll, a warrior like-figure, for his girlfriend and tells her that the shopkeeper told him not to take the necklace off of the doll.

She does...it comes to life.. chases her around the house slicing her up with it's knife. She throws it in a suitcase and it cuts it's way out. She throws it in the oven....then goes back to "check" on it and it jumps out and attacks her and bites her. She then becomes possessed.

Never mind...someone already knew the answer. But it was a good movie!

Originally posted by Tarhog

Yep.

The pilot for 'Night Gallery' was pretty good, I used to love that series.

Remember the Night Gallery episode where the greedy guy's uncle dies (and he inherits his uncle's wealth) then the uncle comes after him from the grave? I think it was called "the Cemetary" episode and I think Roddy McDowell plays the greedy nephew. The thing that really scared the bejesus out of me (or rather, filled me with the most dread) was whenever that painting on the staircase kept changing and showing the uncle "rising from the grave" to come after him...getting closer and closer.

Speaking of Roddy McDowell, though I think it's classified as Sci-Fi now, but used to be considered horror...the five Planet of the Apes movies were pretty scary...at least in it's implications.

:dj:

Having watched a LOT of horror movies I'd say these are some of my favorites. Not necessarily scary but all of them are good.

Pumpkinhead

28 days later

Carrie

Night of the Living Dead

The Ring

Army of Darkness

Sleepaway Camp(just for the ending, although it is funny)

Candyman

If I had to say the best I'd definitely pick Pumpkinhead tho'...

Jurgy, thats one of the stories in the movie, which is the original pilot for the series. I may have that on dvd if you want a copy?

Originally posted by JurgyFan

Remember the Night Gallery episode where the greedy guy's uncle dies (and he inherits his uncle's wealth) then the uncle comes after him from the grave? I think it was called "the Cemetary" episode and I think Roddy McDowell plays the greedy nephew. The thing that really scared the bejesus out of me (or rather, filled me with the most dread) was whenever that painting on the staircase kept changing and showing the uncle "rising from the grave" to come after him...getting closer and closer.

Speaking of Roddy McDowell, though I think it's classified as Sci-Fi now, but used to be considered horror...the five Planet of the Apes movies were pretty scary...at least in it's implications.

:dj:

TRILOGY OF TERROR WITH CATHERINE BLACK.. A CLASSIC MOVIE

Originally posted by Cskin

I GREW UP WATCHING HORROR FILMS AS A KID.

SOME OF MY FAVORITES WERE.

DAWN OF THE DEAD (ORIGINAL)

DONT LOOK IN THE BASEMENT

THE BEAST WITH 5 FINGERS... SCARED THE HECK OUT OF ME WHEN I WAS A KID.. OLD MOVIE ABOUT THE HAND THAT CAME BACK TO LIFE..

THE EVIL DEAD WAS A CLASSIC..

Archived