Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting Safety

geez i am a big Taylor fan but if we can grab either Grant or Marion for a reasonable contract then we need to trade down with our expected big named FA signee coming we will need add depth through the draft... i am not convince that we have good enough quality(even just looking at potential talent) at backup positions right now...

EDIT: actually not sure about Grant but Marion would be welcomed...

The only substantial upgrade is Taylor. If we aren't getting him, don't bother tinkering with the safeties.

Grant's numbers aren't impressive compared to Iffy or Bowen; and we know what kind of line we played with last year. Iffy and Bowen will be able to make big plays if we have a better D line, which we will.

I like taylor and think he would be a great addition. however agree that the front four need some serious attention so maybe trade down to Mid-level range and pick up an eary 2nd too.

I personally would like to trade Trung to Philly or New England for a 2nd or third.

:dj:

I personally would like to trade Trung to Philly or New England for a 2nd or third.

Yeah, and I would take a late 1st or a high 2nd for Jimoh :D

Remember that we gave a 4th round pick for Trung a year ago and he didn't really shine last season. I don't think we could get more than a 4th or a 5th. Betts may have more trade value, but I think he and Portis are more complementary than Trung and Portis, so I think we'll keep him as a 3rd down back.

We have the worst starting safety duo in the league. I want Taylor but even if we don't take him and trade down we need to address the safety spot at some point. We will improve the d-line which will help to some degree but it's not going to make up for all their shortcomings.

I really dont see a problem with Bowen or Iffy(granted he doesnt get traded via RFA), but they are average solid starters. As long as we sign Winfield and have Smoot on the other side, plus the upgraded defensive line, there should hopefully not be a problem. Keep in mind that coaches can make players also, and we have a great defensive mind with us again.

Our safeties are horrible guys. This is where we got burned every time last year. I agree the pass rush was also bad; however, the safeties need an upgrading with the addition of solid blue collar Defensive lineman.

People we have the 5th pick overall, draft Taylor! that is paramount he can cover plus hit and since we lost Chump and as slow as Bowen is I think this is a no brainer. I would hate to see a WR come across the middle with Ronnie Lott Jr back there to take his head off! I actually think that with Taylor, Iffy, Smoot and Vincent we could have a GREAT SECONDARY!

Originally posted by PatFisher

Stanley Richard and Raphel Cherry are my picks

:rotflmao:

I was a Raphael Cherry fan ever since he made that great catch on the fake punt on Monday night (I think vs. the Giants in the mid-80s).

Both Bowen and Iffy are best suited to the SS spot. I we even sniff a saftey it needs to be a FS.

Personally though I think Iffy and Bowen are both still growing as players and both are worthy starters. I am happy to see them stay in thier current capacity.

Archived