Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Glazer: No 2nd Rounder (Per orange Mane)

StevieInferior

Jimbo,

Portis came 409 yards short of 2,000 this year missing three games. I think he's a guy you could imagine hitting the number. Now. I'm not positive he's a guy that can do it in Washington. Gibbs will probably use him a little differently than Riggo obviously. He'll spell him more and keep him fresh for the home run. I'd be satisfied with 1,300 yards a season with the threat he presents.

But, I could see him as something much better if the past is any indication.

Originally posted by Jimbo

Bosko, WHAT in God's name makes you think Portis will ever rush for 2000 yards? He would have to carry the ball around 365 times at 5.5 yards per carry to accomplish that. He doesn't have the frame, the weight and probably not the stamina. I would be perfectly happy with 1400-1600 yards per year for the next few years.

It's possible considering he only needed 75 more carries to reach 365. He did miss 3 games. He also rushed for 128 yards in the first half against San Diego, then sat out the second half. He was pulled in three or four other games where we had big leads. He'll get the ball 25-30 times a game if need be.

His durability is a big myth. There has been concern about his size. He misses his only 3 games, and people say he's not durable. Portis is more durable than Ricky Williams at this stage in their careers.

Does this look like a 2000 yard rusher?

game)carries - yards

1)24 - 120

2)12 - 129

3)10 - 42

4)did not play

5)23 - 141

6)15 - 47

7)25 - 117

8)22 - 86

9)26 - 111

10)did not play

11)25 - 106

12)14 - 165

13)34 - 170

14)22 - 218

15)38 - 139

16)did not play

See how durable he was at the end of the season. He sat the last game out as did many Bronco starters including Jake Plummer, Shannon Sharpe, and Rod Smith. The game had no playoff implications.

I'm just hoping and guessing here, but remember when the Mark Brunell trade story first broke, EVERYONE ****ed and moaned about us having to give up a 2nd round pick. Well it eventually turned to only be a 3rd round pick.

This could be the case here with Portis, I hope. I heard someone say it was a 3rd round pick, not a 2nd round pick. If thats the case, we dont have a 3rd round pick and therefore it must be a 3rd round pick in 2005. So maybe its a conditional 3rd round pick in 2005, that can turn into a 2nd rounder based on the performance of Portis.

I can live with that. :D

this may be a 3 way deal where we first give New England our #5 pick for their 2 #1 pics + a 3rd round pick. Then we give Bailey and the 3rd rounder to Denver and they give us Portis.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something along those lines, but there is nothing on the rumour/gossip wires from the dikheads at CNNSI or ESPN.

Originally posted by bnacpa

this may be a 3 way deal where we first give New England our #5 pick for their 2 #1 pics + a 3rd round pick. Then we give Bailey and the 3rd rounder to Denver and they give us Portis.

I wouldn't be surprised to see something along those lines, but there is nothing on the rumour/gossip wires from the dikheads at CNNSI or ESPN.

It could be a three-way deal, but I kind of doubt it. Three way trades are as rare as extinct dodo birds. :laugh: The only three way trade I can recall is the blockbuster Eric Dickerson trade the Colts made.

If Glazer is getting this scoop too, just like the Gibbs scoop, that could be why this little tidbit is on KFFL tonight:

Redskins | Ramsey's Agent Says QB Wants a Trade - from

Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:25:56 -0800

Len Pasquarelli of ESPN.com reports, Jimmy Sexton, the agent for Washington Redskins QB Patrick Ramsey, is demanding the team trade his client after the Redskins all but finalized a deal for Jacksonville Jaguars QB Mark Brunell. "There's only one way to resolve this mess and that's to trade Patrick," Sexton said. "He wants out. Plain and simple. And if they don't think there is a [viable] market for him, give me 15 minutes, and I'll bring them a fistful of offers." Sexton also added he thought there was no way in which Ramsey could win the starting job in Washington next season. "It's a farce," Sexton said. "They just paid Brunell, what, like $40 million? The finances dictate [brunell] is the starter. That's the reality, and they can't think we're dumb enough not to know that, can they?" The Redskins are expected to finalize the trade for Brunell on March 3, the earliest possible date to complete such a transaction.

Now I ask you my Redskins brethren, are these not the

SAME DAMN QUOTES that Len Pasquarelli quoted Sexton on last week?

It would seem that he is so pissed off that he is just rehashing the stuff from last week in a weak attempt to try to rain on the Redskins parade

If I am wrong about this, someone please correct me...........

Originally posted by Bosko

Does this look like a 2000 yard rusher?

game)carries - yards

1)24 - 120

2)12 - 129

3)10 - 42

4)did not play

5)23 - 141

6)15 - 47

7)25 - 117

8)22 - 86

9)26 - 111

10)did not play

11)25 - 106

12)14 - 165

13)34 - 170

14)22 - 218

15)38 - 139

16)did not play

See how durable he was at the end of the season. He sat the last game out as did many Bronco starters including Jake Plummer, Shannon Sharpe, and Rod Smith. The game had no playoff implications.

Wow, thanks for posting that. Those last 5 games are real impressive, and it's nice to see a back get better as the season goes on. I also didn't realize that one of the games he missed was game 16 because of no playoff implications. It's not a stretch at all to think Portis would have put up another 100 + in game 16.

Not only is Portis a potential 2K runner, he's a TD machine:

Portis - 25 games started, 29 rushing TDs

Compare rushing TDs vs:

Steven Davis - 89 games started, 53 rushing TDs

Priest Holmes - 65 games started, 66 TDs

Jamal Lewis - 44 games started, 26 TDs

Ahman Green - 57 games started, 42 TDs

Ladanian Thomlinson - 48 games started, 37 TDs

Deuce McAllister - 35 GS, 22 TDs

Fred Taylor - 68 GS, 46 TDs

Shaun Alexander - 44 GS, 46 TDs

Ricky Williams - 70 GS, 41 TDs

Edgerrin James - 65 GS, 42 TDs

Holmes and Alexander are the only ones to average over 1 TD per game started.

Portis - 1.16 TDs per game started

Alexander - 1.04 TDs per GS

Holmes - 1.02 TDs per GS

Compare vs all-time greats:

John Riggins - 175 games, 104 rushing TDs

Barry Sanders - 153 games, 99 TDs

Walter Payton - 190 games, 110 TDs

OJ - 135 games, 61 TDs

Emitt Smith - 211 games, 155 TDs

Eric Dickerson - 146 games, 90 TDs

Tony Dorsett - 173 games, 77 TDs

Terrell Davis - 81 games, 60 TDs

This kid takes it to the house better than anyone ... ever.

Compare vs. Champ: 80 games, 18 INTs, 1 INT TD

Deion Sanders: 163 games, 48 INTs, 21 INT TD

I'll take one TD per game from Portis for 1 INT TD lifetime by Champ anyday and especially twice on Sundays.

Who's the game changer ??

I like the trade much more than before, since we don't have to deal our 2nd rounder at all. There are DL to be had in the 2nd round, as well as TEs.

Didn't we just establish that Glazer's comment said the opposite of this? I interpreted the comment at the beginning of this thread (as did others) as saying that a 2nd WAS part of the deal. As Detroit seems as though they never had the #6 on the table and the Jets are offering, apparently, a rather motley assortment, Denver's the only serious bidder & they have the leverage.

yank, your statistics are very one=sided. How can you compare Portis' TWO SEASONS to the great RBs of the past WHOLE CAREERS. They've played much longer than Portis, so of course their TD/Game percentage is going to be lower. That isn't a fair comparison at all.

Also, it would be better to compare Deion's first 80 games to Champ. Since you aren't doing any ratios or percentages, it would be a better comparison.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

yank, your statistics are very one=sided. How can you compare Portis' TWO SEASONS to the great RBs of the past WHOLE CAREERS. They've played much longer than Portis, so of course their TD/Game percentage is going to be lower. That isn't a fair comparison at all.

Also, it would be better to compare Deion's first 80 games to Champ. Since you aren't doing any ratios or percentages, it would be a better comparison.

Happy to:

Deion - 84 games, 30 INTS, 13 INT TDs (5 years Atlanta, 1 SF)

Champ - 80 games, 18 INTs, 1 INT TD

Deion was ten times the shutdown corner as Champ so don't play the "nobody throws at him" card. The term shutdown corner was invented for Deion.

13 INT TDs to 1 says alot as does 60% or so more INTs at the same stage. We have had the 5th ranked defense while Champ was here so our D lines have been comparable to Atlanta's.

Deion however, was the best all-time cover corner so he'll make everyone look bad by comparison.

My point was - 5 years - 1 INT TD. Portis gets that every game.

anyone ever considered the possiblity that the double negative is actually a typo - the way i read it, the important word is the use of the word "but" in the first part of the sentence - "BUT when so and so asked about the skins 2nd round pick,".. the person seemed to suggest there was no skins pick going to the browns ---

let's hope danny stands firm on this one

You're definitely right on that, yank. I think the disparity between Deion and Champ's number is so large because Deion also returned punts back for TDs, as well as the multiple times I recall other Dbacks pitching him the ball after they made interceptions. Yet regardless, he took more of his own INTs to the house than Champ anyway.

Archived