Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fatbelly: Update on Portis

StevieInferior

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1742003

INDIANAPOLIS -- Clearly in a proactive player acquisition mode, and desperate to land a tailback who could make a major impact in new coach Joe Gibbs' run-oriented offense, the Washington Redskins are in discussions about a blockbuster trade that would bring them one of the NFL's premier young backs.

The proposed deal, which percolated here over the weekend at the annual draft combine sessions, would net the Redskins tailback Clinton Portis, who rushed for over 1,500 yards in each of his first two seasons with the Denver Broncos. In return for Portis, 22, Denver would receive Redskins four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey and perhaps one of Washington's choices in the 2004 draft.

In a Sunday column, The Denver Post first posed such a trade, but the deal is more than just a fantasy football-type suggestion. Officials from both teams, and agents for the two high-profile veterans, worked arduously over the weekend to nudge the swap much closer to reality.

One point of contention: In addition to Bailey, the Broncos are asking for Washington's second-round choice in this year's draft. At this point, at least, the Redskins are reluctant to part with that selection but that hesitancy could change at any time.

Said one source who is intimately involved in the delicate negotiations late Sunday night: "You definitely need to stay close on this one. There's a whole lot going on. There are a few sticking points but, if you asked me will it get done, I'd tell you, yeah, I think so."

Two player agents representing running backs who will become unrestricted free agents next month separately told ESPN.com they approached Washington officials over the weekend to make a pitch for their clients. Both agents assumed that, with the Redskins in need of a back to bolster the power running game Gibbs prefers, they might be able to fuel some interest in their clients.

Both were apprised by Washington officials that the Redskins were on the verge of a blockbuster transaction that would bring the team a premier tailback. "One of their top officials basically told me that, while my guy is a good player, they had something else going at tailback and that it was huge," said one of the agents.

In his first meeting with quarterback Mark Brunell, who will officially be acquired by the Redskins via trade on March 3, when the league's trade moratorium is lifted, Gibbs told the veteran that Washington would definitely add a big-time running back before the start of summer training camp. The Gibbs-designed offense dictates a hard inside runner and has succeeded in the past with players of lesser talent than Portis possesses. The slashing Portis, though, would be a terrific fit for the Redskins, league coaches agreed here.

Should the deal be consummated -- and, despite some hurdles, several league and team sources acknowledged they expect it to happen -- it could not be officially announced until March 3 as well. Such a trade would dramatically reshape the Washington offense from what it was during the two-year tenure of former coach Steve Spurrier.

The trade would certainly permit each of the teams to fill a need.

The Broncos have been seeking a true "shut-down" cornerback for years and Bailey, just 25 years of age and regarded as one of the NFL's premier cover players, clearly fits that description. From the Washington standpoint, there are no veteran tailbacks currently on the roster who can handle the workhorse role Gibbs needs to fill.

A second-round choice in the 2002 draft, Portis took over the starting job as a rookie, ran for 1,508 yards and 15 touchdowns, and the former University of Miami star was named the league's rookie of the year. He followed up that freshman performance in 2003 by rushing for 1,591 yards and 14 touchdowns. Denver officials were initially reluctant to part with Portis but feel they can compensate for his departure.

The Broncos staff was impressed with a pair of 2003 rookies, Quentin Griffin and Ahmaad Galloway, and Denver has historically been able to plug in young runners and have immediate success with them. Plus the Broncos understand that to add a player of Bailey's stature, they must reciprocate with a big-time performer.

The proposed trade goes beyond just football needs, however, and extends out to some contractual considerations.

As a rookie, Portis signed a four-year contract that included a $1.29 million signing bonus but only minimum annual base salaries. His scheduled base salaries for the last two years of the deal are $380,000 in 2004 and $455,000 for 2005. At the Pro Bowl two weeks ago, Portis suggested he might boycott training camp unless his contract was upgraded and his comments did not sit well with Broncos management.

The Redskins two weeks ago determined they could not meet Bailey's contract demands and granted the five-year veteran and former first-round draft choice permission to speak with other teams about a possible trade. Since then, the Redskins have designated Bailey a "franchise" player, the equivalent of making him a one-year qualifying offer worth $6.801 million.

Obviously, for a trade to be consummated, Bailey, ostensibly a limited free agent, would have to sign a new contract. And the Redskins certainly will not acquire Portis without first addressing his contractual grievances. Agents for both players have been working with the Redskins and Broncos on new contracts for their clients.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com

I like how Lenny pretends he had any clue about this. He was honest enough to say who broke the story, but nonetheless pretends he was "tuned in" despite yesterday saying the Redskins were walking around with a cheshire grin because they'd have Staley.

I am surprised we'd give up a pick in addition to Champ. I simply believe it's easier to get a running back than it is to get a corner. But, this is such a FAT corner market, this is kind of a difficult deal to overlook if it's possible. In one swoop, the Redskins would wind up having the best quarterback situation in the division, the best running back and they already have the best receiving situation and offensive line, especially in a typical blocking scheme Bugel will employ.

If we also add Kleinsasser the offense will be SUPER tight, talent wise, assuming Portis is an actuality. Now, the defense is looking spotty and we have to hope the money you'd free up with Bailey went SOLELY into the defense -- starting at corner, then defensive end, then defensive tackle.

We certainly do keep things active, don't we?

Lets think about this, remember we haven't done too well with our second round picks the last couple of year. We will have our RB on the roster before the draft and he can learn the offense faster then most. There will be no holdout and we can still sign young free agent (Smith from Tenn) to make up for that pick. I still think we should swap seconds and then both teams should be happy.

I also believe if we get portis and sign him long term we will not be picking at the #5. We will trade down.

I think a straight up trade would be in order. Both players are premier players at their position. Champ is not worth any less than Portis. Just thinking about this trade makes me want to cry to think how much better we will be overnight though (offensively).

Originally posted by Art

I am surprised we'd give up a pick in addition to Champ. I simply believe it's easier to get a running back than it is to get a corner.

On the surface, the statement is true. But on the whole, Portis has the potential to be much more valuable to the Skins than Champ ever was. He'll have 25 rushes and 5 receptions every game and can break it open on any one of those touches. Shutdown corners are a nice piece to the defensive puzzle, but elite, stud RBs are the centerpiece to the entire offense - especially for Gibbs.

Snyder's already shown he's not a firm believer in building through the draft and doesn't value picks all that highly. He should have no trouble parting with one more.

I think Bailey for Portis "should" be fair enough straight up, Bailey is more proven than Portis.

I think asking for our 2nd is steep, if it was Bailey and our 5th, I probably wouldn't hesitate though.

But whatever Gibbs does is good enough for me. If he feels the 2nd is ok, who am I to question him.

The thought of Portis in a Skins Uni is awsome.

Originally posted by codeorama

I think Bailey for Portis "should" be fair enough straight up, Bailey is more proven than Portis.

I think asking for our 2nd is steep, if it was Bailey and our 5th, I probably wouldn't hesitate though.

But whatever Gibbs does is good enough for me. If he feels the 2nd is ok, who am I to question him.

The thought of Portis in a Skins Uni is awsome.

while i think straight up or even next year years pick would be ok there is one other factor, while cb is a shut down corner is harder to find this year has a high number of good cbs , and as good as champ is he is not a gamebreaker, and portis most certainly is.

I agree...Champ is gone..no matter what....so if we can land Portis for him (and a second-round pick) we'd be foolish not to.

With that done, we need to get good value for our #5 and draft DEFENSE!!

Once we do that, we'll be in great shape (especially since we can give CP a raise and still not break the bank for him).

Brunell/Ramsey handing the ball to Portis (who is running behind Jansen/Samuels/Thomas) and throwing to Coles, McCants, Gardner....great O!

You absolutely MUST draft defense now. If you do make this trade, you have to PRAY Taylor falls OR that you can move down a hair to guarantee yourself TWO defensive linemen. My guess is Taylor should this trade go through. You then use the money you save from Champ to sign Portis, add a corner and get a defensive lineman. The key with Portis though is to sign him RIGHT EFFING NOW.

Try to convince him $12 million in a bonus is just right. If he has another year or two like he's had, he'll get $25 million. So try to get him now for $15 million or under and you almost have a bargain.

Archived