Extremeskins

AP/WP:Bailey Gets Permission to Pursue Trade

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A40828-2004Feb13.html

Bailey Gets Permission to Pursue Trade

By Joseph White

Associated Press

Friday, February 13, 2004; 9:22 PM

The Washington Redskins have given four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey permission to pursue a trade, the strongest indication yet that one of the team's most popular players might not return next season.

Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, said he spoke to "seven or eight" teams Friday after receiving a call Thursday night from Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

"I think they're curious to see what the interest level is," Reale said.

Bailey's contract expires next month, and talks for a new deal have gone nowhere. The Redskins offered a nine-year, $55 million contract with $14.7 million in bonus money before the start of last season, but Bailey was unhappy with the structure and numerous other clauses in the offer.

Negotiations resumed this month, with the Redskins essentially making the same offer, except the proposal covered eight years instead of nine. Bailey has said he wanted a deal that would make him one of the highest paid defensive players in the league.

Reale said Snyder "made it very clear that the coaching staff considers Champ an elite player" but that the two sides "simply disagree" over the parameters of a long-term contract.

If the Redskins don't re-sign Bailey or trade him by Feb. 24, they will probably designate him as a franchise player, which means they would have to tender him a one-year, $6.8 million offer that leave the team hamstrung to pursue free agents under the salary cap.

A trade for Bailey could involve a player or draft picks or a combination of the two.

Bailey was a Pro Bowl selection for the fourth consecutive year, despite playing much of last season with a broken left wrist and a sprained left shoulder. He could barely lift his arm above his head when he intercepted a pass and forced a game-turning fumble in a 20-17 victory over New England in Week 4.

Bailey is the second popular Redskins player whose future has come into doubt this month.

The Redskins are negotiating a possible trade for Jacksonville quarterback Mark Brunell, who would then become the favorite to supplant Patrick Ramsey. Brunell wants to go where he can become a starter without sparking a quarterback controversy, and the possibility of his arrival in Washington has sparked trade rumors concerning Ramsey.

"We've had some interesting discussions this week which have centered on a perspective role of Mark as a Redskin," Brunell's agent, Leigh Steinberg said.

Interestingly, although several teams -- including Miami, San Diego and Dallas -- have expressed interest in Brunell, Steinberg has been allowed to talk only to Washington. Brunell met last week with Redskins coach Joe Gibbs.

"We asked to allow Mark to have the opportunity to interact with any coach from a franchise that might be interested in trading for him," Steinberg said. "But they refused permission to anyone except Washington."

I40820-2004Feb13L

Redskins gave Champ Bailey permission to pursue a trade, a strong indication Bailey might not return next season.

I'm all for this, and I hope it goes further than just testing the waters and finding his worth. He's an above average corner who THINKS he's a shut down corner like Deion. Opposing teams don't gameplan away from him, unlike Darrell and Deion, and then throw right at him because there are only two outcomes..... a completion.... or a ball hitting the ground harmlessly.

I'll take two #1s, or a high #1 and #2 and smile all the way to draft day.

Let another team take his attitude and bloated self-worth.

These reporters are annoying me with their sloppiness. It's not an either/or situation between trading Bailey and putting the Franchise tag on him. We have to franchise him IN ORDER to trade him. Otherwise, we can't make a trade until the start of free agency and without the tag, Bailey is a UFA and we've got nothing to trade.

I would only caution those saying "Good riddance, Champ" to be careful what you wish for. We've been blessed to have both Smoot and Bailey on the field as cover guys. Imagine, given how anemic the D-line was last year, how bad it would have been if we had crappy corners too. It truly sucks when your team doesn't have good corners. And there's no one on the roster to step in for Bailey. So if he goes, we've got another big hole to fill.

Originally posted by Cskin

I'm all for this, and I hope it goes further than just testing the waters and finding his worth. He's an above average corner who THINKS he's a shut down corner like Deion. Opposing teams don't gameplan away from him, unlike Darrell and Deion, and then throw right at him because there are only two outcomes..... a completion.... or a ball hitting the ground harmlessly.

I'll take two #1s, or a high #1 and #2 and smile all the way to draft day.

Let another team take his attitude and bloated self-worth.

Champ in his first five years has more INT's than Darrell did after his first five. Teams do figure their game around Champ. You're only kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

High draft picks don't guarantee a starter, let alone an elite player of Champ's caliber. High draft picks do guarantee a high signing bonus. I wouldn't dismiss Champ's worth quite so easily.

You know, I was all for Champ staying here, but his heart just isn't with the Burgundy and Gold anymore.

Lavar made it clear that he bleeds BNG even if the contract made it easier for him to feel that way.

So, if Champ doesn't feel that $55 million isn't a fair offer than, get the eff out.

I'd say, see yah... baring we get an elite CB of relative caliber, and a 1st plus another high draft pick....

With those happening, I could see, good CB across from Smoot, stud DT in the draft with the 1st... Taylor with the 1st we've got, and more depth with the other pick.

Plus some cash saved.

Archived