Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wilbon says Gibbs should take Clarett

Hogwash

I thot this debate was closed over the whole race issuse. I just just questioned why it had to come up in the first place.

That's just the problem, you think cause i'm young i don't know anything.

So stand on your soap box and preach about what you've seen and what you know.

I'm still new at this site, but you're gonna learn that anytime i see something I think is wrong, i'm gonna call you on it. It that means making assumptions, accusations, or what ever, I don't really care.

It's amazing how quick you are to judge me for making assumptions about a fellow posters character, meanwhile most of you sit her and do the same thing to Maurice Clarett.

Well said PCS. :cheers:

Hogwash. The only racism I've seen in this thread is in your mind. You need to go back and re-read the thread in question. And don't ever presume to know what others are thinking, it's an open invitation to stick your foot in your mouth.

Possibly true Hogwash. But you have demonstrated the same exact thing. Know that you are not alone in calling people out when thinking they are wrong. See, this board thrives on that and youa re doing nothing new there. Just welcome to a club that already includes a few thousand. That said, I'm going to give you this one warning. And this is from a poster who has been around here for awhile. On a subject as sensitive as racism, you had better have your facts straight. Not assmuptions. Not accusations based on assumptions. Facts This is something you had best learn in real life too.

I didn't say you didn't know anything because you are young, you did. Nobdoy brought up "hating" on Clarett because he was black. You did. This is on you.

Okay,

Wally is the best thing since Jesse Jackson, let's give him an award from the NAACP.

You're all missing my point all together. Why is it that people always have to bring race up? That's all I'm askin.

In hind sight i was wrong to incinuate that he was being racist. At the same time it's ignorant to say what he said.

Possibly, but doubtful. Certainly no less ignorant than what you said and what you just did, sarcasm noted. Only Wally can say for sure, but I think I got his point. It's a wonderful thing to have the attitude you seem to have about racism. But you have to think a little bit. You have to use common sense. It's way to easy to be oversensitive in that area. One must temper one's judgement when dealing with racism. This way you don't see it where it's not.

'm still new at this site, but you're gonna learn that anytime i see something I think is wrong, i'm gonna call you on it. It that means making assumptions, accusations, or what ever, I don't really care.

So you don't care about unfairly and unjustly accusing people of being racist. That's OK in your mind? You think it's OK to ASSUME to know what someone else is thinking and judge them on it?

Cool. Based on your rabid defense of Claret and your obsession with attacking anyone who expresses their desire that the skins not draft him, I can only assume that Clarett is your gay lover (not that there is anything wrong with that sort of thing) and this anger you are displaying is an expression of your passion for him. After all, if it's OK for you to assume to know others motivation, it's OK for others (me) to do the same to you right?

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Possibly, but doubtful. Certainly no less ignorant than what you said and what you just did, sarcasm noted. Only Wally can say for sure, but I think I got his point. It's a wonderful thing to have the attitude you seem to have about racism. But you have to think a little bit. You have to use common sense. It's way to easy to be oversensitive in that area. One must temper one's judgement when dealing with racism. This way you don't see it where it's not.

And I would add that due to the chicken little syndrom, you will be a more effective voice against real racismif you choose your targets more carefuly. Play the card too often and for the wrong reasons and people will just tune you out.

I'm not out to fight racism. In fact I grew up in a house full of racists. I grew up with the seeds implanted in my head, and It wasn't untill i got out into the real world in the Army that I learned to think for myself. The comment reminded me of my ignorant parents and I went off..

Let's get back to the topic at hand please.

BTW let's go back and look at what you are calling a racist comment.

Clarett is a major risk anywhere higher than the 4th round.

I guarantee Wilbon would not be saying this if Clarett were white. His tenacity to fight racism often clouds his judgement.

Ironic isn't it?

The fact that he said that things would be different if he were White, saying that Wilbon would not have given a sh*t about it.

Well It's golden, casue everything that you're saying is playing into my favor. You think its so wrong that I'm calling a person that I've never met a racist (all the while putting words in my mouth) casue let's face it I never called the guy a racist any more than he said that he didn't Clarett cause he was black.

So it's cool for you to put words in my mouth but not for me to do it to this guy. I understand totally.

But yet most of the people in the forum are teeing off on Clarett calling him a crimial, a trouble maker, a crybaby, ect. So you can only attack a person's character when it benefits you.

I'm only attcking those who just say no, without backin up their logic. And those whose logic includes calling him a criminal. Mike i can see that you and I are going to go around and around in this forum before i have to leave again.

Originally posted by Hogwash

I'm not out to fight racism. In fact I grew up in a house full of racists. I grew up with the seeds implanted in my head, and It wasn't untill i got out into the real world in the Army that I learned to think for myself. The comment reminded me of my ignorant parents and I went off..

Let's get back to the topic at hand please.

Hey. There is nothing wrong with fighting racism. And it is very commendable that despite having the seeds planted you had the good sense to form a more inteligent opinion. :cheers:

Back to the subject at hand. I just think he is too great a risk and too much of a long term prospect for a position we need to fill with a starter.

Originally posted by MidPennSkin

Gibbs goes for guys with character, not guys that didn't play last year because of trying to defraud insurance companies and making false statements to the police. With all the players with good character out there, why should we take a scam artist?

I'm don't care about what he's done in his past. The question is can he contribute to this team. He's been gone from football for a year and he's not even old enough to drink!!! This is a game full of grown men. We can't just throw out some kid and expect him to mentally of even physically handle the pressure and torment of the nfl. He might be a good rb some day, but right now he's a target.

--------------------------------------------

0-16, 19-0, skins fan till i die!!!

Mad Mike, Look at the post that i took the quote from if you want to see an example of the racism i brought up.

Tarhog,

Hey that's fine, to bring up the fact that it's a gamble to take ANY player in the draft , that goes with out saying. But the VAST MAJORITY of the people posting here are not judging him on his potential. They're not judging him on his talent. They're not judging him on his ability to do anything on the field.

The only thing i see is people judging him on based on the fact that he's a "kid" and he had some issuse with OSU.

THen I see other people trying to say that Joe Gibbs don't like Clarett. Oh.... so you know Gibbs? You go to his house for dinner? A lot has changed since 1992, guys. You have no idea what's goin through his mind when i comes to Clarett. I know Gibbs too and I know he's not gona pass on talent.

He didn't say it out right, but i grew up in a family of racists and I know what he's thinking. If he wasn't a little bit bitter about the fact that CLarett is black and he's causin all this contraversy, he would have never brought up the race card...

Sure no one said "I don't like him casue he's black" but they're thinkin it, and I just tried to let them see how ridiculous it sounded to nip it in the bud. But of course everyone's gonna call me on it... It's cool tho, take your shot, I'm not gonna cry and ***** about it.

That you young man? I'd say that's pretty much calling someone a racist don't you think? Certainly the implication is there, so don't play that put words in my mouth nonsense with me. If anyone is guilty of that is you. Take a look at that second quote. You even want to put words in people's minds. And don't play this I got you right where I want you stuff either. You've backtracked and sidestepped enough to show that isn't true. As for attacking character, again, judging by those 2 quotes, it is you who are guilty of that which you charge others with.

Wow, see what happens when I post and then go to bed?

Hogwash - my point was that Wilbon is a documented race warrior. If you read his columns over the years, you would get the gist.

My comment was not about Clarett, it was about Wilbon. Again, Wilbon's over-zealousness to fight racism often clouds his judgement, and it seems like he argues for people only because of their race, and not because their rights are being stepped on.

As far as Clarett being a risk - look at the facts. He has not played much at the college level, has a history of injury and is very young. That is definitely a risk.

i understand where you're comming, from....

I should have specified that I heard comments outside this forum regardin race.

My comment was to show how silly it was to bring race up in the first place, and I got jumped on.

Meanwhile, I have a legitmate issuse with bigotry conserning Mad Mike who thinks its an insult to call some one gay.

Mike i can see that you and I are going to go around and around in this forum before i have to leave again.

No, we are'nt. I understand that your intentions are good and I commend you for that. And I've said all I'm going to say on the matter.

Hogwash,

One final comment....I understand its tough when you take a stand and get pummelled. Its not much fun, especially when you feel passionately you are correct. Trust me. I've been recently pummelled ;)

What you aren't recognizing is that its happened to all of us here at one point or another. When it does, most of us make the mistake of taking it personally and often say things we might not ordinarily say. I've done it. You did it in this thread.

Best thing you can do is just take a step back. Find other things to comment on. Let it go. But again, no need to feel you've been gang-raped. You're just on the minority end of opinion here, plain and simple. Sometimes you just have to accept that others disagree and respect it, rather than ascribing the worst kinds of motivation to them.

Archived