Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Super Bowl predictions

Chrisbob74

Who do you think is going to win?

Will it be close or a blowout? Low scoring or a pinball score?

MVP Guesses?

I want the Panthers to win but I feel the Pats have enough to cope and they are the masters of the close game....Pats by 7, say 24-17.

Brady will be MVP again.

Hope I'm wrong and the Panthers do the bizz and Stephen Davis is MVP.

the Patriots quick passing game is going to make it difficult for the Panthers to get to Brady, which is the key to their winning the game.

if there are no turnovers by the Pats I don't see Carolina winning.

on the other side of the ball I don't see Delhomme and the runners making enough plays to win (again without the help of turnovers and friendly field position).

Patriots 20, Panthers 10.

Panthers by 10.

The Patriots have a major problem in their interior offensive line since they lost their pro bowl left guard Damien Woody. His replacement and the Pat's center are both rookies, and they are going to have to go up against the best interior defensive lineman in the NFL in Kris Jenkins. I look for the Panthers to jam the Pats receivers at the line of scrimmage and take the short passing game away from Brady. Jenkins and the rest of the dline will be able to get pressure on Brady and possiby force some turnovers.

Bellicek got his genius label (well deserved!) by confusing quarterbacks. Fox is not going to let him do that to Delhomme - he is going to run the ball and execute safe play action passes. Genius doesn't do you much good when the other team is pounding the ball down your throat.

The one thing that would keep me from betting the house on this is Stephen Davis's penchant for fumbles in big games. If the Patriots force some turnovers, get up early, and force Carolina to pass, this one will be a blowout. However, if Stephen can hold on to the ball, I think the Panthers will win easily.

Carolina 20 New England 10

Carolina 28

New English 17

MVP: Jake Delhomme

It is held close at 20-17 for a while but with a little over 2 minutes left and the Pats defense trying to stiffin up and keep it only a 3 point lead Deshaun Foster breaks a TD run to ceal the game.

I'm not going to predict a score because I'm in five pools with the boxes so I can have any variety of scores. I will say that this game is going to surprise a lot of people and is going to be one of the top five Super Bowls. It is going to be hard hitting. Fox and Belichick are going to be playing a chess game. I for one am looking forward to it.

And while I am rooting for the Panthers because I like Fox, I have a bad feeling the Pats are going to squeak this one out in overtime.

well, this isn't the post i originally intended. i spent a couple of hours after work writing a thorough analysis of this game, clocks in at 10-1/2 pages, single spaced. low and behold, the friggin' disk that i have it saved on is messed up and i can't get it from my computer to this one. oh, bugger. anyways, i have a print copy and just re-wrote the last part, keys without analysis, and the final thoughts:

Keys to the game :

NE

1)pass protection

2)stop the run

3)protect the football/no turnovers

CAR

1)run blocking

2)pressure the QB

3)protect the ball/no turnovers

I think this is going to be an excellent football game. Both teams match up very well, with streghts and weaknesses playing against each other. I think that CAR will run the ball with limited success, but that their passing game will be just good enough to get them a couple of touchdowns. Muhsin Muhammad will be a veryi important factor as he will be covered by the much smaller Tyrone Poole. CAR has to exploit this and throw a couple of deep balls to him. Look for NE to shade Eugene Wilson to MM's side of the field on most passing downs. With Ty Law likely to shadow Steve Smith, they are gonna have to get production from Proehl and other threats. Smith, as good as he is, will have a lot of trouble getting open against Law. I also think that they will need to use Deshaun Foster in the passing game, with screens and dump passes, because Davis is not a receiving threat.

New England is also going to struggle on offense, but to a lesser degree. I don't think they are going to be able to run on CAR, but they will not stop trying. They may end up with 25 carries and only a 2.5-3 yards-per-carry average, but they pound the ball and eat up a lot of clock. NE will keep the Panther defense honest and force them to play both the run and pass. In the end though, I believe the Pat receivers will be able to get open against an overmatched Carolina secondary, and Tom Brady will be able to hit his receivers. This game should be decided by less that the 7-point spread, and the over/under will be just about right. Look for a late touchdown or field goal to clinch this one.

FINAL SCORE PREDICTION: New England 21, Carolina 17

Super Bowl MVP: Tom Brady

Archived