Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, is Belichick really the best coach in the game?

SPare

Think about this for a minute before you automatically say yes:

he was a failure in Cleveland.

He was failing in New England before Bledsoe got hurt. Remember he went 5-11 in the first year, and was 0-3 (I think) when Bledsoe got injured and Brady came in.

So, how much of the success for Belichick's "genius" should actually go to Brady??

Also, something to remember is that Brady wasn't the #1 backup that year, Damon Huard was. But , for reasons that I cannot remember, Huard was unable to go when called upon. In the previous year, Brady wasn't even the QB of the future- that was Michael Bishop.

I think that Bill got very, very lucky.

He actually did fairly well in Cleveland until his last year when he went 5-11.

Also, Belichick insisted on keeping 4 QBs in '00 so he could keep Brady on the roster.

Parcells has never won a playoff game without Belichick, but now Belichick is going to his 2nd SB in 3 years w/o Parcells. And can anyone doubt NE's 1st SB victory was a direct result of Belichick outsmarting Martz.

riggo - yes, people can doubt it. Martz failed to use Marshall Faulk. Some people believe that is why they lost. They didn't even try to run the ball.

I think Belichick will have to be considered a great coach if he wins another Super Bowl. In this league with the parity - it's tough to win consistantly, and he has. Great coach.

RT,

Belichick did NOT do VERY well in New England until his final year.

He was 6-10, 7-9, 7-9 and 11-5 and 5-11 in Cleveland before being fired. This is not a VERY good job. This is, though, a failure. Now, is he the best coach in the league? Right now? You know what, I think he probably is.

Of all the coaches in the league, he's one who's not completely married to a specific system. He will implement a game plan designed to stop the opponent. Like Gibbs, he is flexible, smart and dedicated. I think he had many of those traits in Cleveland as well. I don't think he can be said to have a DOMINATING defense. But it is a confusing one. By itself I don't think it's enough to make a huge winner out of him. Like with Gibbs, I don't know that he could have been as good as we recall without Petitbone being so good on the other side.

I think he is a great coach but also has great coordinators. Some of the things those guys are willing to try is crazy. I recall the safety they took on purpose in the one game. But when you have such a solid defence that you believe can get the stop they you can take those chances.

An amazing stat about Belichick is when he faces the same QB twice the second time he plays that qb he is 10-0 WOW, he is the best coach in the game. Parcells has never won it all without him, he is about to win his second and I think he will end up with more SB wins than parcells when it is all over.

Now I think what is helping him right now is Brady of course, they guy has never lost a playoff game, throws the best out pattern in the game and is great in the pocket.

Belichick is the best coach in the league right now cause he won the most games. Don't be fooled by the media attention that he's getting. Next year, when Brady gets hurt and he starts to lose games, there's gonna be a new head coach who they call a genius. But as of right now, he's the best cause he's winning games. Thats all that matters.

Originally posted by jbooma

An amazing stat about Belichick is when he faces the same QB twice the second time he plays that qb he is 10-0 WOW, he is the best coach in the game.

This really impressed me until I realized it couldn't be true. :doh:

I don't know how you are torturing the facts to get this stat, but I've already disproved it looking at the record.

It would appear that you are limiting this to games played in the same season (restricting this to division rivals) since 2001. The stat is clearly not true prior to the last three years. And since the Patriots have finished strong all three years, this mainly indicates that Belichick and the Patriots finish strong against all teams, not just division rivals.

So what this really says is that the Patriots have a 15-5 record against division rivals in the past three years. They are 6-4 in the first game against division rivals and 9-1 in the second game. But, that one loss doesn't count, because it came against the Jets under Pennington last year after Testeverde started the first game. So it's "9-0" against the same QB/division rival. And #10 comes from beating the Titans in the playoffs this year.

Now, I suppose that's pretty impressive, but it's mainly part of the great way the Patriots have finished the season in the past three years, which is not really about facing the same QB twice. Including the playoffs, the Patriots were 9-0 to close out 2001. They are currently on a 14-0 run. In their 2002 "off year," they still finished 6-3.

This is the source of the fluky stat showing the record playing the same QB twice. The Patriots are simply finishing their seasons incredibly strong the past three years. And certainly Belichick can take well deserved credit for that.

By the way, Parcells has never won a playoff game without Belichick on his staff...but he did win some playoff games with Belichick only serving as a position coach...so let's not get too excited.

He's a very good coach...

Ok, he didn't do well in Cleveland. But how many coaches come start right away winning most of their games? It takes a while to learn and develop your coaching style. He did that in Cleveland and it started taking effect in New England. It even took a little time in NE but he has this team playing outstanding football. And that is with all the injuries. He doesn't have outstanding WR's. He doesn't have a franchise RB. His QB is named Tom Brady, not Joe Montana.

They have put many different people on that defense this year because of injury. And the defense was just as effective no matter who was in.

I'd have to say right now, that he is the best coach in the NFL. Will he be next year? :whoknows: But right now he is.

Belichick is the best this year. Any coach that has had 42 different starters in one year and wins 14 in a row. Is doing a helluva job and should get credit for it. He stops your offense by taking away what you like to do. He has been lucky a few games but what coach or team isnt when you win 14 in a row? Remember in Pro Football it's not how you start but how you finish. The only teams to beat them this year are the Bills and us. When they got shutout by the Bills the media swore he didn't know what he was doing because he cut Milloy. Milloys replacement Harrison makes it to the Pro Bowl. Sounds like a good coaching move to me.

P.S. Joe Gibbs is the best coach now because he has the most Super Bowl wins and he's our coach.

he is the best coach on the field right now. But let's not clear a space for him in the Hall of Fame just yet. And we definately shouldn't start comapring him to the greatests ever yet. He has a long way to catch up with Lombardi, Landry, Knoll, Allan, or Gibbs.

hogwash,

that's what i keep telling all the Pats fans up here. i keep telling them. if he loses this year. wins in another three, then wins again four years later, then he can match up to gibbs credentials. right now he has won A super bowl. he also has the luxury of Brady not getting his leg broken in half after their first super bowl win.

You got to take into account all the years under Parcells, a long stint in Cleveland and now the Patriots. He's been given ample time to get everything right. Look at some of the other guys that are in his type of tenured status. Bill Cowher, Jeff Fisher and Marty. They haven't done it. So I guess you could say he's the best out of that crop.

He is, hands down.

On top of that, NE's ended up losing NO ONE in its staff coach, I just can't believe it!!

Can you imagine they'll be back next year with their 8 picks in the first day alone along with the coaching continuity??? :doh:

Now that's scary!!

Archived