Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mel Kipers sleepers

Chrisbob74

MEL'S INTRIGUING PROSPECTS | Jan. 16

Not every player can be a sure first-round selection, but there are plenty of guys out there who could be surprises. Here's a look at the most intriguing prospects right now -- players who might not get the most hype but who could turn out to be great values for the teams that take a chance on them.

OFFENSE

Chris Cooley, TE, Utah State (6-3½, 251) | third round

Had a great finish to the year with 10 catches in the Aggies' season finale against Idaho and made a highlight-film grab at Nebraska. Cooley finished the year with 62 catches thanks to his speed, athleticism and hands. He could be an H-back or moving tight end in the mold of former Washington Redskins standout Clint Didier. Cooley would be ideal in an offense like Mike Martz runs in St. Louis or the one Joe Gibbs will bring back to Washington.

Keary Colbert, WR, USC (6-2, 210) | third-fourth round

Keary Colbert had six catches for 149 yards and two TDs in USC's Rose Bowl win over Michigan.

Teammate and fellow wideout Mike Williams got all the attention this year, but it was Colbert who kept the chains moving and made big catches for the Trojans all season long. He is a tremendous possession receiver who shields the ball from the defender and comes down with spectacular catches thanks to his Velcro hands. Could be a very good No. 2 receiver in the NFL in the mold of Keenan McCardell.

Michael Jenkins, WR, Ohio State (6-4, 215) | first-second round

Fast becoming a potential first-round choice. Jenkins is getting lost in the shuffle with so many great receivers coming out this year, but a huge game in the Fiesta Bowl and the fact he is the school's all-time leader in receiving yards are making people take notice. He was a co-captain this year and is a very unselfish player who will do whatever it takes to win, making him a pivotal cog in the Ohio State offense.

Julius Jones, RB, Notre Dame (5-10, 205) | third-fourth round

Jones did not play during the 2002 season while getting himself academically eligible but still had a tremendous season in 2003. He had a huge game against Pittsburgh -- scoring two touchdowns on his way to a school single-game record 262 yards -- and hit the home run on a number of occasions. That answered questions about his speed. Jones also was a good blocker and was effective catching the ball out of the backfield. One of Notre Dame's best players all season and someone who could be a nice bargain.

Craig Krenzel, QB, Ohio State (6-4, 225) | fourth-fifth round

Krenzel won a national championship in 2003, had his team in the mix again this year and finished with a strong, four-TD effort against Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl. He is the ultimate gamer, a smart and poised quarterback who just knows how to win games. With his mobility and ability to make plays, he is the kind of QB who can be successful in the NFL.

Sean Locklear, OG, N.C. State (6-4, 286) | second-third round

An athletic player who made the transition from defense to offense in 2001, Locklear is versatile, athletic and technically sound. Those factors will have teams taking a look earlier than some might think.

Sean McHugh, FB, Penn State (6-5, 260)| fifth-seventh round

McHugh was a huge fullback who also played some as a tight end and an H-back in Happy Valley, and that is what he will be in the NFL. He is a taller version of Tennessee Titans tight end Frank Wycheck and proved he has hands and running ability. His versatility will make teams take a look.

Max Starks, OT, Florida (6-7, 344) | second-third round

Not always as physically dominant as one might expect, but Starks is light on his feet and can play tackle or guard. He also has a ton of big-game experience. And even though he did not always consistently dominate, his size, experience and versatility will be very interesting to NFL offensive line coaches.

Ernest Wilford, WR, Virginia Tech (6-3½, 220) | second-third round

Wilford has great size, and with a good 40 time he could be very interesting to some teams on draft day. He had some big games against big opponents in his career, and while he was inconsistent at times, his size and athletic ability could get people on his bandwagon.

DEFENSE

Tim Anderson, DT, Ohio State (6-4, 289) | fourth-fifth round

Anderson is a classic overachiever and relentless hustler. He made his presence felt all year and plays in the style of former Oklahoma lineman Kelley Gregg, who has surprised people as a member of the Baltimore Ravens.

Jason Babin, DE, Western Michigan (6-3, 265) | third-fourth round

Was a dominating performer off the edge in the Mid-American Conference, and while some in the NFL think Babin was a product of his competition, 115 total tackles, 33 tackles for loss and 15 sacks will get any player some attention. He has a great motor and the necessary closing speed, and if Babin continues the momentum he built up, he is a guy who could push his way into the first day of the draft.

Jordan Carstens, DT, Iowa State (6-5½, 305) | third-fourth round

Strong and athletic, Carstens is the best defensive tackle the Cyclones have had since Mike Stensrud was selected by the Houston Oilers in the second round of the 1979 draft.

Jason David, CB, Washington State (5-8, 175) | sixth-seventh round

A nickelback-type player who made a lot of big plays and interceptions for the Cougars. Could be a very valuable late-round choice for teams looking to shore up their secondaries.

Jack Hunt, S, LSU (6-1, 197) | fourth-six round

A cerebral safety, Hunt was the quarterback of Nick Saban's defense in Baton Rouge. He gets the maximum out of his ability and is really an extension of the defensive coordinator on the field.

Tommy Kelley, DL, Mississippi State (6-6, 303) | second-third round

Kelley has been on and off my Top 25 list for most of the year. He can play either tackle or end and is still a work in progress. Kelley benefited from the astute coaching of Bulldogs defensive line coach John Blake, who has moved on to become the line coach for new Nebraska head coach Bill Callahan.

Bobby McCray, DE, Florida (6-6, 246) | third round

A workout warrior, McCray had his moments at Florida but was not consistently dominant. He runs in the 4.5 range in the 40 and has a 38-inch vertical jump, and those kinds of numbers combined with some big plays behind the line of scrimmage count for something. If his technique can be coached up, McCray can be pushed to peak efficiency. He could be off the board much earlier than some envision.

Antwan Odom (jr.), DT, Alabama (6-4½, 277) | late first roundOdom had a great year considering Alabama lost three defensive linemen to graduation after the 2002 season. Odom was the main focus on the defensive line yet still managed to get eight sacks and 24 quarterback hurries. With that kind of production, a good work ethic and a ton of potential, Odom is the kind of guy who could move into the late first round.

J.R. Reed, S, South Florida (5-11, 200) | third-fourth round

Reed has been a tremendous player for the Bulls since early in his career. He has shown good ball skills and is a tough tackler, and with good workouts he could climb the board as the draft process continues.

Richard Seigler, MLB, Oregon State (6-2, 23 | third-fifth round

Seigler made a lot of tackles during his career and benefited from having Dwan Edwards at tackle to occupy blockers. Seigler flows well to the football and gets in and out of traffic well, leading to outstanding production.

Junior Siavii, DT, Oregon (6-3½, 323) | second-third round

A tremendous run-stuffer who came to Oregon from the JUCO ranks, Siavii is very strong and athletic with the ability to hunker down in the middle. Also has the mean streak necessary to thrive in the trenches and could ultimately end up being a second-round choice.

Rashad Washington, S, Kansas State (6-1½, 212) | second-third round

Very athletic and a former member of the KSU basketball team. Washington gained momentum throughout the year and jumps out at you on film with his size, athletic prowess and game-to-game consistency

Originally posted by Chrisbob74

Chris Cooley, TE, Utah State (6-3½, 251) | third round

Had a great finish to the year with 10 catches in the Aggies' season finale against Idaho and made a highlight-film grab at Nebraska. Cooley finished the year with 62 catches thanks to his speed, athleticism and hands. He could be an H-back or moving tight end in the mold of former Washington Redskins standout Clint Didier. Cooley would be ideal in an offense like Mike Martz runs in St. Louis or the one Joe Gibbs will bring back to Washington.

Cooley's 62 catches in 10 games compare favorably to Winslow's 52 catches in 11 games -- 6.2 vs. 4.9 catches/game.

Yards/game also favored Cooley: 73.2 vs. 50.0. Also TDs: 6 for Cooley, 1 for Winslow.

Not saying Cooley is better than Winslow, but he was clearly more productive last year -- it's not close. And he did all that while missing two games due to injury.

The Redskins could really clean up if all this happened:

• Sean Taylor #1
  • Best available DT #2
  • Cooley #3
  • Kearse free-agent DE
  • Gardener June 1st free-agent DT
  • Kleinsasser free-agent TE
  • Dillon or Staley free-agent RB

That's a pretty kick-butt offseason, with all holes filled, and it's very doable.

Edit: I did some cross-checking on Cooley, and not everyone thinks he's third-round material. One site had him as the #14 TE, another had him 5th - 7th round. Who knows -- but Kiper thinks he's got real talent. Whether Cooley is the guy or not, this is the kind of TE I'd like to see Gibbs get -- a third-round sleeper, not the 5th player in the draft.

antwan odom is a solid DT, that will probably slip to the 2nd, and would be a great pick if we decided to trade down in the 1st and picked up a RB/TE and DE. if we trade down for 2 1st rounders i want jones/jackson/winslow and a DE in the first and odom in the 2nd. but if we stay at #5 i want taylor and troupe.

Hokie fan here...

I don't know if I'm sold on Wilford at the next level, but he has a solid frame, good hands and good speed. He is also deadly on jump balls in the end zone (which we didn't do near enough.) Also, if I remember correctly, he was a demon on punt blocks before he started at WR.

He is huge. He was originally recruited at Tech to be a Defensive End. No joke. That is why I'm not sure about him. Just doesn't seem "natural" on the field. He works hard, though. The memory of the drop in the 02 Miami game was his motivation for this year.

Someone will be very happy with him in the later rounds. I hope he proves me wrong, cause he has all of the tools.

Here is a TD catch.

Tim Anderson is a very good strong pass rushing DT. I would like it if we scooped him up in the 4th or 5th round. Julius Jones is also another possibility in the mid rounds if we don't address our RB situation through free agency or in the earlier rounds. I think the latter rounds are deep with defensive line help, so I hope we go after an impact stud with the #5 pick. Sean Taylor gets my vote.

Originally posted by BlitzFiftySix

I heard Kiper say yesterday on Tk's show that he anticipated the Skins taking Winslow at #5.

Yeah, I read that on his site too. I don't agree with it, the Redskins have much bigger needs to fill... but it's early and things get all jumbled up at the combines... that's when DL's like Kenechi Ubeze, Will Smith, and Tommie Harris will dramatically rise or fall.

ASF~

Good stuff mirror image of what I wrote down earlier today.

In rd 2 Randy Starks, Marcuss Tubbs, Dwan Edwards,Darnell Dockett or Lavilus At least one of these guys will be around for all you "we need DL first" people

Taylor is a franchise player with the #5

FA you have Robare Smith , Sam Adams (will be available) Grant Winstrom, Cornielus Griffith, Darrell Russell(might not be option), Darrell Gardner(might not be a option), Sapp, Howard

There are a lot of options in free agency for DL

As for RB we have a boat load of unproven backs we need a vet to come in while they show what they can do Betts still has hope and Trung while soft had the best numbers with our O.L. getting blown off the line every time because of misdirection

Duueeeeccceeeee!

for the right price Eddie George

Dillon could be a option Im not to hight on him though he will cost a lot

A big F NO to Jack Hunt. Granted he was really the QB of the secondary of the Tigers, his athletic abilities are severely limited. Mark Clayton made him his ***** in the Sugar Bowl..ugh...I pray the Skins stay away from Hunt. Good college player..but definately will struggle in the pros. He has only been playing safety for a year or so. He is a converted Wr.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Taylor is a franchise player with the #5

FA you have Robare Smith , Sam Adams (will be available) Grant Winstrom, Cornielus Griffith, Darrell Russell(might not be option), Darrell Gardner(might not be a option), Sapp, Howard

There are a lot of options in free agency for DL

Bullfeathers! There really are NOT a lot of options in free agency on the DL, when you consider there are 31 other teams bidding for them; Kearse might be franchised; and Sam Adams is signed to a multi-year contract and is NOT going to be available and is on the wrong side of 30.

The Redskins themselves need at least 3 defensive line starters, maybe even 4. So where are ALL these free agent options you talk about? I only count 5, with 32 teams bidding for them -- Smith, Griffin, Winstrom, Darren Howard and Kearse, maybe. :doh:

Archived