Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP. Green to join Staff

Lavarleap56

'Mr. Redskin' Green To Join Gibbs's Staff

By Nunyo DeMasio

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, January 12, 2004; Page D03

Darrell Green, who retired from the Washington Redskins in 2002 after a historic 20-year career, will return to the organization to be part of Coach Joe Gibbs's staff, according to two sources with knowledge of the move.

Green, who played 10 seasons -- and won two Super Bowl titles -- under Gibbs, is likely to be a defensive backs coach, said a source outside the organization. But according to another source, who also requested anonymity, Green and Gibbs are ironing out his coaching duties.

The former cornerback -- nicknamed "Mr. Redskin" because of his popularity -- did not return phone calls yesterday or respond to an e-mail.

Green's two decades on the Redskins, which included 313 games, remain NFL records. Green made the Pro Bowl seven times and is expected to be selected to the Hall of Fame when he becomes eligible in 2007.

In an interview during his final week as a player, Green didn't rule out eventually working for owner Daniel Snyder as part of management. But Green also insisted that he was looking forward to life after the Redskins.

"I don't fear change," Green said in December 2002. "In football you have a game plan. Typically something happens different. But you still try to get the same result."

Green, 43, his spent his post-football career overseeing the Youth Life Foundation, which he founded in 1988. The organization operates 12 learning centers for local children in the Washington area, and has plans to expand nationally. On Dec. 10, 2003, a six-mile stretch of Route 28 in Loudon County was named after Green, whose jersey number was 28. On Wednesday, Gibbs -- who coached the Redskins from 1981 to 1992, winning three Super Bowls -- returned to the NFL, replacing Steve Spurrier, who resigned on Dec. 30 after two seasons. Although Green is a year removed from playing, he can serve as a bridge to the current roster. Four of Spurrier's former assistants, who have contracts that expire after the 2004 season, are not expected to be retained. Green has no experience as an assistant. But former teammates -- who dubbed him "the Godfather" -- considered him a player/coach.

"He taught me everything from wearing your socks right to just reading the quarterback," Rashad Bauman said in 2002 after displacing Green as a nickleback. "Darrell Green has always been there for me and tutored me in every way possible."

Before the 2001 season, then-coach Marty Schottenheimer replaced Green at cornerback with Fred Smoot. But Smoot said the move didn't change Green. "He really guided me," Smoot said. "He didn't mind watching me blossom."

The Texas A&I product was a starter on Gibbs's championship teams following the 1987 and 1991 seasons. Green was picked 28th overall in the 1983 draft, Washington's selection in the first round after Gibbs's first Super Bowl title.

On Wednesday, Green was among several former players at Redskins Park, the team's training facility, for Gibbs's announcement. Since retiring, Green has rarely appeared at the park, but late this season he was spotted in the locker room a couple times, exchanging pleasantries with former teammates.

Gibbs's staff thus far is composed of Don Breaux, the running backs coach; Jack Burns, the quarterbacks coach; Gibbs's son, Coy, an offensive quality control assistant; Rennie Simmons, who is expected to coach tight ends; and Gregg Williams, the defensive coordinator. (The Redskins haven't officially announced the signing of Simmons, a Falcons offensive line coach.) Williams is Gibbs's only defensive coach because Gibbs has been stifled by NFL rules that bar a team from interviewing an assistant under contract without receiving permission. Williams, the head coach of the Buffalo Bills the past three seasons, has wanted to hire a slew of his former assistants. He has received permission to interview Bills special teams coach Danny Smith and safeties/ third-down coach Steve Jackson. The Redskins are expected to hire them both this week. Before 2002, assistants were free to leave another team to take a promotion.

According to a source, the Redskins had expressed an interest in Falcons defensive backs coach Emmitt Thomas, but not for the same position. Thomas, who coached the secondary under Gibbs from 1987 to 1992, declined to become defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals under new coach Dennis Green, the source said. (Thomas was defensive coordinator for the Vikings in 2000 and 2001.)

The Redskins are also bringing back Bubba Tyer, who served 25 of 33 years with the organization as a trainer. Like Green, Tyer -- who retired after last season -- is in the Ring of Honor at FedEx Field. Tyer's title is expected to be announced. According to sources, the Redskins have fired trainer Dean Kleinschmidt, who was with the organization for two seasons.

Good thing is we've already got a good portion of a good, experienced staff in place .. so we can afford to bring in a few guys with less experience and a lot of coaching potential to learn along the way. Keeping talent, coaching or otherwise, within the organization is key to building a team.

Originally posted by Spear

I thought Darrell relied on speed, rather than pure technique. I hope he'll make a good coach.

Early in his career sure. But typically as time went on, DG relied on good technique to go along with that speed. He was especially good at using the sidelines in coverage. Also good with his hands to keep track of the reciever. Both Smoot and Bauman say that he helped them out. Smoot's play speaks for itself and Bauman has played decently at times too. Figure that may be a good start for a coach.

:cheers:

ND

I sure do, I'm surprised that I was actually able to see it, as I did not live in DC area at the time.

One of the finest performances I've seen, especially for someone so physically overmatched.

Moss called him the best CB he ever played against.

Makes you wonder what would have happened, had Irvin not been able to push off against Darrell. Randy doesn't push off as much.

Who was the genius who wrote this? (:doh: ) -

"Settle down, boys. Darrell Green isn't a coach, and has said emphatically he doesn't want to coach. Is Art Monk coaching? I don't think so. Gibbs will get a top flight support staff in here, you can count on that. But players from the glory days don't automatically translate to competent coaches."

Well, pass the Tabasco sauce, it'll make the crow taste better. It'll be great having Darrell Green back as part of the organization. Gibbs surrounds himself with quality people, and DG is the best person you'll find anywhere, so that's a positive. But in echoing Art, I think my last sentence in the quoted post above still applies.

Originally posted by Park City Skins

Early in his career sure. But typically as time went on, DG relied on good technique to go along with that speed. He was especially good at using the sidelines in coverage. Also good with his hands to keep track of the reciever.

Yes, Darrell learned a lot about technique from Marty. :D

sometimes it's tough for superstars to explain what they do and why they do it. that makes it hard to be a good coach. now, with dg being a "player/coach" for a couple years, maybe that isn't true. it's typically the average athlete (that has to work like hell and study the game in detail to make it onto the field) that makes the best coach.

I'm not sure if DG would make a great coach or not, but I know he would have the respect of the team. I also suspect that the new defensive coach will have a lot to say about who will be on his staff.

GD would have a lot to offer and he also would have a lot to learn to become a coach, being a player/coach is not the same, its a lot different being a memeber of a team, and offering advice .

If DG wants to be a coach, then I'm all for it. He was pretty much a coach his last couple of years as a player anyways. I think he'll do pretty well as a coach. You know the other DB's respect him and will listen to him. He will bring some more leadership back to the team.

Archived