Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: What is Old is New Again (Buck an Ears)

KDawg

23 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

That's a big "if". Game was out of reach constantly. TB led the entire time.

Maybe we'll do better against NYG. 

On one hand, I don’t think 3 or so things going differently is that big of an if, but then again, it’s the nature of football that a few lucky or unlucky bounces can totally change a game, so I get your point.  Game felt out of reach because we just couldn’t get the Bucs offense off the field, however, I don’t think it really was until the last quarter or so,

As I said in the prediction thread, I’m not optimistic about the NYG game, but I think I’m going to feel that way every week until we’ve shown we can win consistently.  I do have some optimism that this team can get their footing as the season progresses.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm still annoyed about that block in the back. That call was such a death knell man. Completely devastated us. How do you make that call?

The game’s momentum completely shifted away from us with that call.  We’re right on the doorstep of 7 points if that ticky tack call wasn’t made.  The missed field goal was the result and resulted in a 10 point swing.  

19 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm still annoyed about that block in the back. That call was such a death knell man. Completely devastated us. How do you make that call?

I don't understand how they can over turn the penalty on Tampa for the illegal man down field and not he block in the back on Washington.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

The game’s momentum completely shifted away from us with that call.  We’re right on the doorstep of 7 points if that ticky tack call wasn’t made.  The missed field goal was the result and resulted in a 10 point swing.  

If the field goal was made the penalty would have resulted in a 4 point swing but since it wasn't it resulted in a 7 point swing.

There's no ten point touchdowns, but yes it did significantly change momentum. 

I still believe our defense was going to lose us that game no matter how many times we scored.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 8:57 AM, RVAskins said:

I think Tua would be wise to start using a Guardian Cap. 

I'll be the salmon as usual and say just use the guardian. All players. Tua's first concussion he simply fell backwards and donked the back of his head on the turf. Its only a matter of time before a double helmeted aka giant head players head hits the concrete turf, but only because his head is bigger than ever. He can't go chin on chest enough to prevent it.

Its the old boxing head gear angle. Head gear got eliminated because it simply made the target bigger aka easier to hit and brain jostled more often. Yes it was padded. Bigger isnt always better.

The league testing the padded guardian? It's an obvious admission that the hard shell has failed (dare I say miserably) to protect players. Every year it seems I am the only one that hates those things. Riddel me this - don't we have built in hard shells? Yes we do, they are called Craniums.

This thing is a fencing helmet

image.jpeg.20014f5c83ab4d769f6dc679bdc66a02.jpeg

Edited by RandyHolt

59 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I'll be the salmon as usual and say just use the guardian. All players. Tua's first concussion he simply fell backwards and donked the back of his head on the turf. Its only a matter of time before a double helmeted aka giant head players head hits the concrete turf, but only because his head is bigger than ever. He can't go chin on chest enough to prevent it.

Its the old boxing head gear angle. Head gear got eliminated because it simply made the target bigger aka easier to hit and brain jostled more often. Yes it was padded.

The league testing the padded guardian? It's an obvious admission that the hard shell has failed (dare I say miserably) to protect players. Every year it seems I am the only one that hates those things.

Hasn't that been most of or all of Tua's concussions? Even this last one the initial hit could have caused it but he then fell and the back of his head bounced off the ground again to seal the deal. Some players just seem prone to it

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Same....even the Baker Mayfield fanboys,  aka the announcers, proclaimed it was ticky-tack.

It was a horrific call....

5 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Its the old boxing head gear angle. Head gear got eliminated because it simply made the target bigger aka easier to hit and brain jostled more often. Yes it was padded. Bigger isnt always better.

The league testing the padded guardian? It's an obvious admission that the hard shell has failed (dare I say miserably) to protect players. Every year it seems I am the only one that hates those things. Riddel me this - don't we have built in hard shells? Yes we do, they are called Craniums.

This thing is a fencing helmet

image.jpeg.20014f5c83ab4d769f6dc679bdc66a02.jpeg

Not much evidence that the guardian caps do anything at all for players…but the league sure likes to look like they’re exploring options to protect player health:

On 9/13/2024 at 2:50 PM, Conn said:

The NFL says they work, with no scientific backing that I can tell and even have a “20% less impact experienced when both players wear the guardian cap” stat from who knows where that they tout. 

An independent study from 2023 in the International Journal of Research and Public Health showed no difference in impact force experienced by those wearing or not wearing the guardian cap. I don’t have the link but I read an article about it earlier this year and just brushed up on what I remembered reading on google. 

Most importantly, I read that even if they could be proven to work to blunt the impact of an initial hit, they definitely do not protect from the sort of brain damage that causes CTE over time, which is what “new” helmet technology is supposed to be tackling. It’s not just concussions, it’s the micro-impacts every play over time that can cause CTE later in life. 

Again this is just what I refreshed myself on with a quick google, but I read an article (not sure if it was The Athletic or some random PFT aggregator) a while back that went more into the studies. 

Basically it’s disputed whether they do anything at all, but the NFL is the group who seems to not have independent scientific research backing their hopeful claims, so it seems more like a PR stunt than an effort to actually protect players